Thread: Kids Today...

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
    Yesterday I played Super Mario World with my 12 yr old son for a fair while. We started a new file and completed all 96 goals later into the evening. Of course a break was required to watch canada win the Olymic gold in hockey. He has a SNES in his room, and plays a lot of it. As we played Mario, he says dad we should play E.V.O. we haven't played that for a while. He loves a lot of classic games, however I don't think many of his friends do. Sometimes I think a lot of kids have not had enough exposure to the older stuff so that has a lot to do with their level of appreciation.
    That's very true. I think most people, be them kids or adults, would be able to appreciate older things if they're simply raised in an environment that values them. My fiance's little sister, who I've known since she was 7 and is 16 now, has spent her entire life around two considerably older brothers who play older games just as frequently as new games. Her exposure has been completely mixed and varied, and as a result hops from era to era herself without a second thought. I can see her playing a new Wii game one day and SNES game the next, and I've never once heard her comment about the graphics or audio of older games being inferior. She just takes a game for what it is and has fun. I'm actually a little envious of the children and younger siblings of our members here. What a wonderful opportunity they have to try so many games, both through our collections and emulation. When we were kids, we were lucky if we got a couple new games a year, and old games were out of our access unless they were ones that we or our family members personally held onto for years.

Sadly, we really grow up in an "out with the old, in with the new" world. For the most part I didn't have anyone encouraging me to appreciate older stuff when I was a kid, but I did have a family that was generally behind the times and I watched a lot of black and white Nick at Nite. I never got the message that older things lost their value. I think most parents mean well, but when Dad measures the size of his penis with his plasma TV and Mom gets a new wardrobe every year, kids get the message that life is all about constantly getting new stuff to replace older things, even when there's no need for replacement. Remember when people would actually repair their electronics, shoes, clothes, etc.? Does the average person even know how to sew on a button or stitch up a hole anymore? Almost no one has any interest in preserving and valuing what they have these days.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Google 4 Gaga
    Last edited by UnpluggedClone; 05-28-2010 at 06:05 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

My brother is 8, almost 9 years old and ever since he was two I have showed him the awesomeness of the SNES and NES. I wanted him to start with something easy and fun, and now he is playing really complex games on the 360 and PS3. The amazing part though is, unlike most kids his age (or even older than him), he still loves old games and will still play my SNES and any older console and never complain.

I think it is how kids grow up that affects what kind of games they are going to play in the future. Like several people have said before, if a kid's first game was Halo or Gears of War, they are going to look back at older games and automatically call them crap because they don't look as good as new games and never give them a chance. With my brother though, I taught him at a young age to respect games no matter how old they are and to give them a chance.

And as a bit of advice, you shouldn't say that everything modern is crap. There is still plenty of great stuff that comes out (Fallout 3, Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid 4), and in every generation there is going to be crap. I am sure there were some pretty shitty games and things back in the 80's and 90's too.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiankirchoff View Post
    My brother is 8, almost 9 years old and ever since he was two I have showed him the awesomeness of the SNES and NES. I wanted him to start with something easy and fun, and now he is playing really complex games on the 360 and PS3. The amazing part though is, unlike most kids his age (or even older than him), he still loves old games and will still play my SNES and any older console and never complain.

I think it is how kids grow up that affects what kind of games they are going to play in the future. Like several people have said before, if a kid's first game was Halo or Gears of War, they are going to look back at older games and automatically call them crap because they don't look as good as new games and never give them a chance. With my brother though, I taught him at a young age to respect games no matter how old they are and to give them a chance.

And as a bit of advice, you shouldn't say that everything modern is crap. There is still plenty of great stuff that comes out (Fallout 3, Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid 4), and in every generation there is going to be crap. I am sure there were some pretty shitty games and things back in the 80's and 90's too.
    Exactly. I have about 75 Atari 2600 games I decided to keep because they were fun or right for me, while I just parted with 45 games I felt did not meet my standards. One's trash is another's treasure so it's good that there are people out there with different tastes. Ever since the beginning there was junk, and there is still junk today. You just have to find the games that appeal to you.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by UnpluggedClone View Post
    Any kids that in the 11 - 14 year old range were introduced to old stuff at a young (had older brothers) etc... If the first thing you ever play is halo then it would be hard to play the old stuff.
    So, it's really easy for a 11 year old to play with 6 button combinations in Halo 3, yet it's really hard for them to use an Atari 2600 joystick, with only a stick and one button? Sadly, I know this to be true, and it's a really depressing thought for the future brainpower of the world. Man, where did we go wrong?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Obviously, this is a broad generalization, but...

Old games: difficult challenge with simple controls.
    New games: simple challenge with difficult controls.

There are very few modern games that will kill you within seconds if you fuck up, so kids who aren't accustomed to that find it frustrating.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    my eyes. they vomited. you can have her
    Heheheh! What else can I say? Poor chick! By the way: Icarus, I googled "Ero Guro" after reading your post. Thanks for a lifetime of regret.

Now back to topic: I was enteeing my building the other day and was shocked to accidentally see a neighbor playing Super Mario World through his window (Since I'm probably the only guy in my whole town who owns working SNES). I apologized for being nosy, and asked him about his SNES...only to find out that he was emulating the game on his PS2. He also seemed quite thrilled when I told him I had the game on cartridge. He's no kid, actually; must be on his early thirties. But, where I live, it's rare even to find adults who enjoy the classics. Good to know there's a fella who enjoys both modern and retro gaming around.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    So, it's really easy for a 11 year old to play with 6 button combinations in Halo 3, yet it's really hard for them to use an Atari 2600 joystick, with only a stick and one button?
    I'll play devil's advocate and say yes, if only because it feels so different. As someone who started gaming with mostly NES and didn't have much exposure to arcades, I'm still most at home with a controller that evolved from that NES pad design. I have gone backwards to system prior to NES and have also picked up arcade sticks, but I don't think my hands will ever feel 100% comfortable with them. I can't fault kids born many years later from me even. At this point we're probably getting kids that aren't even fully comfortable with D-pads. It's sad, but I'd say it's easier to get someone to open their mind to the look and sound of old games than to get them to adapt to something that's physically awkward to them.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate and say yes, if only because it feels so different. As someone who started gaming with mostly NES and didn't have much exposure to arcades, I'm still most at home with a controller that evolved from that NES pad design. I have gone backwards to system prior to NES and have also picked up arcade sticks, but I don't think my hands will ever feel 100% comfortable with them. I can't fault kids born many years later from me even. At this point we're probably getting kids that aren't even fully comfortable with D-pads. It's sad, but I'd say it's easier to get someone to open their mind to the look and sound of old games than to get them to adapt to something that's physically awkward to them.
    The reverse is true, too. I was a NES kid, but I had some exposure to Atari / Coleco.

I got my PS2 in 2006 or so, and uh, I still can't get used to the damn analog sticks. I keep ramming them as fast as they'll go. My brain can't process "press the stick just a tad", I just push the stick as far as it'll go. Likewise with the Dreamcast's L/R buttons and the Dual Shock 2's pressure sensitive buttons. I hate them. >_<
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started with Pong... Someone want to send me a Space War cab to see if this "can't stand what came before you were born" hypothesis holds water?

I like tons of stuff that existed before I was born. For the first and obvious, I enjoy breathing air and drinking water...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe its because I live in a relatively poor area, but I still know of teenagers whose first systems were Super NES or PSOne.

I guess I'm old now, but the biggest videogame-related arguments when I was in junior high and highschool were over Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter (and later Tekken), Genesis vs. SNES, and N64 vs. Playstation.