0 Posts

Default Best way to hookup each system?

I'm wondering what is the best way to hookup the following systems:

NES
    SNES
    N64
    Gamecube
    Wii

I currently have the first 4 systems hooked up via composite cable, and I have my Wii hooked up component.
    I don't want to do any mods, so that leaves out RGB connections.
    I'm guessing that composite is the best for NES, and S-video for SNES/N64, and component for Gamecube? Is this accurate?

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't want to get into RGB/ mods, then yeah, the way to go is composite for NES, S-Video for SNES/ N64, and component for Gamecube/ Wii. S-Video cables that work with SNES/ N64/ Gamecube are easy to find, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, Gamecube component cables are hard to find/ pricey because Nintendo produced them in limited quantities and no third party versions were made. If you want to save some bucks just play GC games on your Wii with its component cables. If you still want to get the best picture from your 'cube, then get some S-video cables for your SNES/ N64 and try them on the GC to see if they're good enough for you; if you're not satisfied, then open your wallet for GC component cables.

Oh, and be aware that newer Gamecubes removed the Digital A/V port necessary for the component cables (they don't plug into the regular SNES/ N64 style A/V port). And, you'll need to keep your regular A/V cables plugged in for audio, the GC component cables are meant to be plugged in alongside them and only carry video.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know I actually hook up my Nes, SNES, N64, and GC with an RF switch. The games still look good, even though I have an A/V cable for the N64/GC.
    My Wii has the A/V cable that came with it.
    N64 collector

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pichu View Post
    You know I actually hook up my Nes, SNES, N64, and GC with an RF switch. The games still look good, even though I have an A/V cable for the N64/GC.
    That should be fine when you don't like audio.

If you try sometime a good quality sound, you'll never want the mono setup again.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm actually having a hard time finding an official Nintendo S-Video cable. I would need 2 or 3 of them, and I can only find 1 currently on Ebay. Does anyone on here have a couple extra?
    I'm watching a couple auctions on Ebay for used GC component cables. They seem to sell for around $40+shipping, which does seem a bit high.
    I purchased my GC a few months after launch, so it has the component port on back, but thanks for mentioning that anyway.
    When I plug the a/v cables in alongside the component cables for the GC, do they all go into one component output on the back of my T.V.?

Quote Originally Posted by mario2butts View Post
    If you don't want to get into RGB/ mods, then yeah, the way to go is composite for NES, S-Video for SNES/ N64, and component for Gamecube/ Wii. S-Video cables that work with SNES/ N64/ Gamecube are easy to find, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, Gamecube component cables are hard to find/ pricey because Nintendo produced them in limited quantities and no third party versions were made. If you want to save some bucks just play GC games on your Wii with its component cables. If you still want to get the best picture from your 'cube, then get some S-video cables for your SNES/ N64 and try them on the GC to see if they're good enough for you; if you're not satisfied, then open your wallet for GC component cables.

Oh, and be aware that newer Gamecubes removed the Digital A/V port necessary for the component cables (they don't plug into the regular SNES/ N64 style A/V port). And, you'll need to keep your regular A/V cables plugged in for audio, the GC component cables are meant to be plugged in alongside them and only carry video.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You would only need one S-video connect if you dont mind unplugging it(from the systems) and using it for the SNES, N64, and GC. That way you don't have to use a splitter or a switch box. If your TV has enough input plugs, then you dont have to worry about sharing or getting a switch box.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    You would only need one S-video connect if you dont mind unplugging it(from the systems) and using it for the SNES, N64, and GC. That way you don't have to use a splitter or a switch box. If your TV has enough input plugs, then you dont have to worry about sharing or getting a switch box.
    True, but I don't really want to have to do that.
    I don't need a splitter as my T.V. has 4 A/V (3 S Video) and 2 Component outputs, and I'm only going to be hooking up 4 systems to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pichu View Post
    Once you hook it up using the better options, you'll realize that RF is a crime against nature. Actually, the biggest jump you'll notice is going from AV to Component. RF to AV and AV to S-Video aren't big jumps. Once you hit component, you really notice it.

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by imanerd0011 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm actually having a hard time finding an official Nintendo S-Video cable. I would need 2 or 3 of them, and I can only find 1 currently on Ebay. Does anyone on here have a couple extra?
    I can appreciate wanting to go with first- party gear, but not all third party cables are crap. I have some third party S-Video cables that I use with my N64 and they're fine, gold plated with a translucent jacket. Unfortunately, I don't know what brand they are. I used to own several of those PS2/ Xbox/ Gamecube 3-in-1 S-Video cables that used to be sold everywhere, and they worked great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by imanerd0011 View Post
    When I plug the a/v cables in alongside the component cables for the GC, do they all go into one component output on the back of my T.V.?
    Yeah, you'll have five RCA connectors total going to your TV. The green, blue, and red ones from the component cable go into the jacks labeled Y, Pb, Pr (respectively). The red and white ones from the AV cable go the right and left audio jacks that correspond with the component video input you are using. You can leave the yellow plug from the AV cable hanging.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Only monster cable is sufficient (TM)

Shmups Forum has a number of long-standing threads on RGB output, and Arasoi here tracks along with that stuff as well.

For the SNES through at least the GameCube, I think S-Video is fine and dandy really. My AV-connected NES and A/V Famicom are as sharp as I need them.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mario2butts View Post
    I can appreciate wanting to go with first- party gear, but not all third party cables are crap. I have some third party S-Video cables that I use with my N64 and they're fine, gold plated with a translucent jacket. Unfortunately, I don't know what brand they are. I used to own several of those PS2/ Xbox/ Gamecube 3-in-1 S-Video cables that used to be sold everywhere, and they worked great as well.

Yeah, you'll have five RCA connectors total going to your TV. The green, blue, and red ones from the component cable go into the jacks labeled Y, Pb, Pr (respectively). The red and white ones from the AV cable go the right and left audio jacks that correspond with the component video input you are using. You can leave the yellow plug from the AV cable hanging.
    Thanks for all the good replies guys.
    I'm sure the third party S-Video cables work fine, but for some reason I really want the official nintendo ones. I guess it's a touch of OCD or something. .
    Thanks for explaining exactly how it works.

So... it looks like I need 2 official Nintendo S-Video cables and 1 Gamecube Component Cable for my setup. Does anyone have a couple Official Nintendo S-Video cables they are willing to sell for a decent price?