Thread: Best liquid to clean controllers?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default Best liquid to clean controllers?

I got a Beatmania controller recently but it's really dirty. The thing works fine, but I want to clean it - so, I want to know what to use to clean it.

I typically use isopropyl alcohol (85%) to clean carts, is this stuff safe enough to clean the plastic shell, buttons and guts (NOT the circuit boards!) of game pads and controllers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like to use use alcohol to clean controllers and console shells because some of them have paint or a finish that can be damaged by alcohol. If it's really dirty I'll disassemble and clean everything real good (not the PCB) with a mild dish soap such as Ivory. Be gentle with the membrane (running water is usually sufficient) and don't forget the cord. Once everything is dry I go over it (not the membrane) with Turtle Wax Ice interior spray. It leaves a natural looking shine without leaving the surface slippery.

Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

I usually just use rubbing alcohol and nothing has been damaged by it yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use 409 cleaner diluted in tap water,works fine for me,leaves the surface nice and shiny clean.To clean switches for say,a 2600,or paddle controller pots,or etc.,use/spray Deoxit,it works great.Alcohol (99%) has worked for me also,on card contacts and cart slots.Never really used it on plastic surfaces that much,the 409 works much better.A cheap dollar store toothbrush works great for cleaning those hard to clean/reach places also. Rob
    The Gaming Guy...you know...that guy!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I don't like to use use alcohol to clean controllers and console shells because some of them have paint or a finish that can be damaged by alcohol. If it's really dirty I'll disassemble and clean everything real good (not the PCB) with a mild dish soap such as Ivory. Be gentle with the membrane (running water is usually sufficient) and don't forget the cord. Once everything is dry I go over it (not the membrane) with Turtle Wax Ice interior spray. It leaves a natural looking shine without leaving the surface slippery.

Damn. I can't use running water. Unless I want my pads to get even dirtier.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why can't you use running water? I've cleaned all of my stuff with that. Unless I've really overlooked something, water is harmless to household plastic things. I've submerged controller shells in water and brushed them with a toothbrush underwater. It's worked fine for me. IDK if it's the "best", but it's easy and convenient.

Only thing you need to be careful about is dropping things down the drain, and letting things sit out to dry afterward.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Why can't you use running water? I've cleaned all of my stuff with that. Unless I've really overlooked something, water is harmless to household plastic things. I've submerged controller shells in water and brushed them with a toothbrush underwater. It's worked fine for me. IDK if it's the "best", but it's easy and convenient.

Only thing you need to be careful about is dropping things down the drain, and letting things sit out to dry afterward.
    I'm in Mexico. You know that gag about not drinking the water while in Mexico? Well, for those of us who live here, it's just like that, but with tap water. This stuff is not clean.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And I thought the bleach that comes out of the tap here was bad.

If the membrane is just dusty you can just dust it with a detailing brush. If it's gunky you could probably submerge it in bottled water and very gently scrub it with a soft brush.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Insert Coin (Level 0) debian4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cleaning

I use canned air to get dust and debris out of buttons and other tight spaces. I then use warm tap water with a drop or two of dish soap. I then use a tooth brush for really sticky or real dirty spots and a soft wash cloth for large areas.