Thread: Sports Licenses Monopoly and 2k Sports games

Insert Coin (Level 0) HyruleHero's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sports Licenses Monopoly and 2k Sports games

This has got to stop!!! I am a huge sports fan and look forward to every year towards updated sports games. The idea that the NFL,and MLB can make certain companies exclusive with their rights is insane. From a video game fan this limits your choice,if you own an 360 and want to buy a new MLB Baseball game you have no choice but MLB 2k10, If you own a PS3, at least you have THE SHOW,but I am gonna agrue that both games are pieces of absolute garbage!! For the past 5 years ever since EA has been out of the baseball loop there has been nothing but garbage attempts at MLB games. Now, I just don't want to stick up for EA, it is more of the fact that the MLB and NFL can sell and make these rights exclusive to certain companys. Now I love EA and I argue the MLB thing and we all know Madden games are probably the best football games out there, but what about the fans that use to love the 2k Sports Football games.. It is wrong and it sucks in every way, but I will leave you all with this, not since the EA Sports baseball games has there been a solid MLB game on the market,2k10 has no infielding whatsoever(the ball is hit pretty much to your man), the pitching is creative, but sucks bad, the hitting isn't too bad but not that good overall either!! The only thing they have ever done with their baseball games is LOOK PRETTY!!! They suck and I hope eventually EA comes out with one when they are legally allowed too and beats the crap out of 2k sports!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

First off i want to start off by saying EA baseball games sucked ass. Second, it was EA that started all this i own this sport shit when it killed 2k football which was way better than Madden at the time. I also assume you have never played MLB The Show, because its the best baseball game out there 2k couldnt wipe its ass. Check the reviews and play it for a while before you talk shit.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I miss the 2k football games. They were better than madden. The last baseball game I enjoyed was also the same year, but oddly enough it was the world series baseball franchise. Both were sega products.

I had given up on sports games when they went exclusive. I hated Madden, and the 2k series started to go downhill. I too liked the competition as it kept the developers on their toes.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I was all for supporting 2K's football games. Til they put out All-Pro Football 2K8. That game was an absolute turkey. I'll stick with NCAA 2K9. Maybe pick up Madden 2K10 when it gets to $5. It's a solid engine, and I like the presentation.

Baseball, I can't get behind 2K's attempts at all. EA had the best modern baseball video game with MVP Baseball 2005 on the XBox. Sadly, we never got to see it go to another generation. I can't speak about the Show, as I haven't played it in a few years, but I was not thrilled with what I played back then.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blech. I'm rather glad EA is out of the baseball loop. I've never cared for their baseball games, whether it was Tony LaRussa, Triple Play, or the MVP series. I was a staunch supporter of the World Series line of games from the Genesis to the Saturn but dropped off when they changed up the play mechanics on the DC versions. I also heavily enjoyed the MLB series by Sony on the PS1 from '98-'00. The last baseball game I bought/enjoyed was Home Run King on the Gamecube.

I don't care for the monopoly on sports titles anymore than the OP does and I agree it's stifled competition across the board. I won't say I miss seeing bins full of sports games to sort through but I am disappointed in the lack of diversity. One series I kept considering getting on PS2 was the High Heat games from 3DO. I keep meaning to pick up All-Pro Football 2K8 now that it's like $5. Like udisi, I always liked the NFL 2K series over Madden. I remember when I first saw NFL 2K on a TV screen and it blew my mind.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Acclaim's All-Star Baseball series was great on the N64. Where'd it go?

Also, the *most* fun I've had playing sports games was on the NES: Bases Loaded and Baseball Stars, Tecmo Bowl, Double Dribble, Blades of Steel, Punch-Out!!, and Track & Field. Simple and fun.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Acclaim's All-Star Baseball series was great on the N64. Where'd it go?

Also, the *most* fun I've had playing sports games was on the NES: Bases Loaded and Baseball Stars, Tecmo Bowl, Double Dribble, Blades of Steel, Punch-Out!!, and Track & Field. Simple and fun.

Omg so true, There were very good sports games on the NES(mainly baseball games"All Stars, Bases Loaded, Base Wars,exc", but some others like Punch Out was pretty sweet as well. Hell even the mario golf game wasn't bad, and Mario sport games/spinoffs, and Golf in general usually suck), but after the NES, sports games might as well not even exist, infact I wasn't even aware people still played sports games, I thought companies just made sports games, to show off the graphics of a new system(as they are cheap to make, and it doesn't take nearly as long as other games, either).

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by HyruleHero View Post
    not since the EA Sports baseball games has there been a solid MLB game on the market
    You've obviously not played MLB The Show from 09 or 10.

The MLB has a deal that any 1st party companies can make games, as well as 2K. I've not been a fan of EA's baseball games after Triple Play 99.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Can't believe you all are forgetting 3DO's High Heat series (which died in 03?). Bar none at the time, that was the BEST baseball game series going for what would be this last generations run. MLB 2K6 was such garbage that i'll never touch anohter baseball game made by them ever.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Here are two solid football replacements:

Blood Bowl (PC/360)
    Tecmo Bowl (XBLA)

Although Tecmo Bowl isn't out yet.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Can't believe you all are forgetting 3DO's High Heat series (which died in 03?). Bar none at the time, that was the BEST baseball game series going for what would be this last generations run. MLB 2K6 was such garbage that i'll never touch anohter baseball game made by them ever.
    I was going to post this exact thing. I still play High Heat 04 from time to time.
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Insert Coin (Level 0) HyruleHero's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    First off i want to start off by saying EA baseball games sucked ass. Second, it was EA that started all this i own this sport shit when it killed 2k football which was way better than Madden at the time. I also assume you have never played MLB The Show, because its the best baseball game out there 2k couldnt wipe its ass. Check the reviews and play it for a while before you talk shit.
    Take it easy Retrodude, First off you are wrong in saying EA started it..it isn't the companies Take Two and EA it is the leagues themselves offering their respected licenses off to these companies...it is all about the money. MLB 2K games do suck...I will agree with you that the show isn't bad...I don't feel it is up to par with EAs last baseball game,,but it is the best one out there..