Thread: Ubisoft's New DRM Cracked In One Day [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Ubisoft's New DRM Cracked In One Day [Slashdot]

Colonel Korn writes "Ubisoft's recent announcement that upcoming games would require a constant internet connection in order to play has been discussed at length on Slashdot ('The Awful Anti-Pirate System That Will Probably Work'). Many were of the opinion that this new, more demanding DRM would have effectiveness to match its inconvenience, at least financially justifying its use. Others assumed that it would be immediately cracked, as is usually the case, leaving the inconvenience for paying customers and resulting in a superior product for pirates. As usual, the latter group was right. Though Ubisoft won't yet admit it, Skid-Row managed to crack the new DRM less than a day after it was first released."
    Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    </img>
    </img>

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This isn't the least bit surprising.
    The DRM used by Ubisoft was well publicized and far more intrusive than anything that had come before it, which only makes it a more appealing target for hackers.
    Skid Row just won serious bragging rights for this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DP ServBot View Post
    Others assumed that it would be immediately cracked, as is usually the case, leaving the inconvenience for paying customers and resulting in a superior product for pirates.
    How unprofessionally worded.

Is there a reason people who pay for the game can't also crack it to get rid of this stupid internet connection? I don't see why not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Ubisoft DRM server is down ...this makes the whole DRM debate more interesting.

source

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    How unprofessionally worded.

Is there a reason people who pay for the game can't also crack it to get rid of this stupid internet connection? I don't see why not.
    Either you're willing to choke down the DRM or you're one of the evil pirates. By law. You can't modify the stuff to play on your own terms, that'd be in breach of your user license.

In any case, damn you Ubi. I have become allergic to their PC games. Too many bad memories from lousy ports and broken, buggy games.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 03-07-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Seems to me that DRM is only catering to the pirates. Because to them, that's the game. In many cases, they could care less about the game it's self. It's all about the challenge to crack it.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    Ubisoft DRM server is down ...this makes the whole DRM debate more interesting.

source
    This add to the irony of it all and just adds even more proof that their DRM system just doesn't work. I would be completely outraged if I had bough the game and wasn't able to paly it because their servers are down, let alone because of my own internet connection.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Seems to me that DRM is only catering to the pirates. Because to them, that's the game. In many cases, they could care less about the game it's self. It's all about the challenge to crack it.
    I read through the /. comments and yet this was the one insightful thing the crew there missed. I agree totally, a lot of pirates are doing it on grounds of ethics or challenge - at least it's easy to see it that way. The screwed-up nature of today's DRM certainly isn't rallying us gamers to Ubi's cause...

Though they also didn't mention that all Ubi or anybody can aim to get out of DRM is enough added inconvenience from their DRM to copying to make it more hassle than just buying the program. Unfortunately, well-known websites have made it very easy to get "fixes" for even brand-new games, so the old-fashioned methods of slapping Starforce or whatever on top aren't as effective against the general gaming public as they may once have been. On the other hand, this DRM initiative was clearly too ambitious and too drastic a measure - it failed regardless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Either you're willing to choke down the DRM or you're one of the evil pirates. By law. You can't modify the stuff to play on your own terms, that'd be in breach of your user license.
    I didn't realize the user license dictated ethics.

If you buy the game with your own money, then crack the game to get rid of the stupid DRM, you should not feel guilty about anything.

I'm not even trying to advocate illegal downloading here, but the initial post is like "Cracking DRM only helps pirates and this harms good people." Well, I disagree. These pirates just gave good people a way to play the game as it should be played without Ubisoft's bullshit.

There has always been piracy, and there always will be piracy. There has not always been mandatory internet connection DRM. So don't blame pirates for the game being crap, blame Ubisoft. Did EA need a mandatory internet connection in order for the Sims 3 to sell? No.