Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing - CIB or not CIB?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Importing - CIB or not CIB?

Well, I always go for CIB. I don't own a single game that's not CIB except for a few Saturn games I miss the spinecard and/or sticker sheets/calendars, and other inserts.

Now, I'm seriously considering breaking my little "tradition".

I want to collect, and mostly play, more Famicom games, but I seem to have a rather big problem when it comes to availability. Nearly all the games I want are either pretty expensive if CIB, or are only available in cart-only.

I'm only using eBay, but I've compared alot of eBay prices to prices on Yahoo Japan, and to be honest, there aren't really many notable differences. Plus, you have to pay the proxy you're using aswell.

So, yeah, I've kinda decided to step down from the CIB madness to buy quite a few cart-only Famicom games. This will be the first, and only, system I'll get games that aren't CIB for. I was hesistant at first, but when I put about 12 Famicom cart-only games in the shopping cart over at risingstuff.com, I realised that I can get those 12 games (games that I really want to play) for the same price, or maybe even cheaper, than a CIB Rockman game.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Nico87; 03-07-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I haven't yet established a track record as an importer just yet -- I got three loose Mega Drive carts at a trade shop a while back, that's it at this moment.

My NES "tower" has only 74 titles. A mere four are actually CIB. I do like the appeal and value of CIB quite a bit, and if prices permitting, I would also prefer it like it seems you have for quite some time. If you are comfortable with loose carts, I don't see why not. The value of it either way is your call; you still will possess the cart either way.

I'm used to having most classic carts loose all these years anyway because as a child, my family probably would never allow me to keep tons of cardboard boxes laying around even if I was smart enough back then to want to keep it all. (And yes, sadly none of them remain. The four I have are new acquisitions.)

It's a trade-off, the value of CIB to yourself versus the extra cost for getting it complete. Personally I think about storage; these NES and SNES carts have sleeves so I'm ok with them being loose. But the import carts don't, it seems. So in my opinion I prefer CIB that much more. I have a little list for myself for Super Famicom and I would like to find each and every one CIB, so I get the idea.

In the end just look at each one, one by one, and weigh the options and pick what you're ok with. I will respect any collector who is very die-hard with having 100% CIB for a platform, but I also will not have less respect for someone who settles for loose carts, too.

Pick what you like. Those are my two cents.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for your input! You've definitely made me think twice.

Like I said, all my games are CIB, and I really prefer my games to be CIB, no doubt about it.

Storage isn't really an issue for me, it's more about the $$. Sure, I could go CIB all the way for Famicom aswell, but it would cost me a _lot_ over several months.

All Super Famicom games, and some Famicom games (I think?) came with sleeves, yeah.

Argh, I'm still undecided. It's between money and beauty here, but also availability. Like I said, most of the games I want I can't even find CIB.

I really prefer CIB, but I also prefer money!
    Last edited by Nico87; 03-07-2010 at 09:28 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it's obviously going to be cheaper if it's not always complete. I got my copy of Ikaruga for Dreamcast for a fraction of what it usually goes for because it didn't have the spine card included. But I figure, why pay an extra $15-$20 for something that I'm just going to tuck inside the manual and never look at again?

Many Japanese Saturn games are dirt cheap complete, but they're even cheaper disc only. If all I'm going to do it play them, I'm willing to over look it depending on whether I can figure the game out or not.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    Well, it's obviously going to be cheaper if it's not always complete. I got my copy of Ikaruga for Dreamcast for a fraction of what it usually goes for because it didn't have the spine card included. But I figure, why pay an extra $15-$20 for something that I'm just going to tuck inside the manual and never look at again?

Many Japanese Saturn games are dirt cheap complete, but they're even cheaper disc only. If all I'm going to do it play them, I'm willing to over look it depending on whether I can figure the game out or not.
    Yeah, I'm not too hung up on the whole spinecard thing. As long as the games have box, manual & disc/cart, I'm okay.

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Truthfully, if you want the game for play/enjoyment, track it down loose. You can always track down a CIB copy later and sell the loose one to recoup the losses.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If you're counting spine cards as a necessity to being CIB, then I guess I have plenty that aren't. I personally don't, though. I mean, what's going to be necessary for CIB next, saving the original plastic wrap? The sticker on the top of US-released PS1 games? It just gets excessive after awhile. CIB also can stand for cart/instructions/box (or their equivalents), and that's good enough for me. Although I do have some imports missing the manual and/or box/case. For the vast majority, I seek what I believe to be complete copies (although a lot of my imports aren't in jewel cases so spine cards are out of the picture anyway). Most of what I'm interested in is so much easier to find complete than loose, and usually the complete copies are the better deal (not cheaper, mind you, but still the better value). And after all of the ones I've bought, it's a matter of consistency too. For example I store my Super Famicom and N64 imports in their boxes, so I don't want any stragglers.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At first I didn't care if the SFC or FC game was CIB or not, but I'm starting to discover that I really prefer to have them CIB. Mostly b/c neither of those have side labels, so finding the game I want is a pain when they're stacked up. And I just like boxes. At first I thought I'd just get them and see which ones I like, and I guess I will still do that occasionally, but I realized that I'd end up w/ a bunch of cart only games that I'd have to sell or trade all over again. I frankly think that FC games are the worst to collect for as cart only. I decided that I was going to collect CIB for all cart only NA releases, and those can be just as expensive and difficult to track down as any import cart game, so the decision to also collect import CIB was an easy one. I don't care about manuals or spine cards so much, but I want a box for pretty much anything that I didn't get for free or close to it.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh well, doesn't look look like my obsession with CIB games is going to end anytime soon. I actually found alot of the Famicom games I wanted for a pretty good price on Japangamestock, believe it or not! All CIB!

Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari - $52
    Getsufu Maden - $33
    The Goonies - $25
    Konami WaiWai World 2 - $35
    Yume Pengiun Monogatari - $31
    Rockman 4 - $30
    Rockman 5 - $33

Ok, not relatively cheap, but okay.

I don't see a CIB copy of Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari on eBay very often. When it's there, it's usually a Buy it Now for around $80.

Not seen CIB copies of Getsufu Maden on eBay for a while, the loose ones are around $25-30.

Can't find copies of The Goonies on eBay. There's loose ones of the sequel that goes for around $20-25.

No CIB copies of WaiWai World 2, loose ones for $20-35

Yume Penguin Monogatari - no copies, neither loose or CIB on eBay. Last loose copy went for $25.

The Rockman games go for anywhere between $60-$100.

I'm happy!
    Last edited by Nico87; 03-07-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nico87 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not too hung up on the whole spinecard thing. As long as the games have box, manual & disc/cart, I'm okay.
    This right here for me. Getting a spine card is just a "bonus" for me, but far from necessary.
    My gaming blog retro/new...mainly TG/PCE based
    http://turbomasters.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could care less about spine cards but for cd import games I have to have the cd manual and case. For famicom, super famicom and mega drive games I also prefer cib. However, I definitely have a few loose famicom games. This is mainly due to the fact that they were much cheaper than getting them complete. Although I always go for complete in box import games, famicom games are the one exception to the rule I make. If I'm looking for a famicom game and I only find it loose for a reasonable price, I will definitely get it. But a loose cd only game? Not at all.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    But a loose cd only game? Not at all.
    Even if it was a loose Radiant Silvergun for a buck? :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Even if it was a loose Radiant Silvergun for a buck? :P
    Complete with tons of smudges, scratches and an unknown sticky substance? Maybe, but only to sell
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

As someone who's been in Japan for years, I can tell you that finding CIB Famicom games is VERY difficult for all but the most common games. It can be done, but it's a lot tougher than for a system like the Super Famicom (which is, in turn, a lot tougher than finding CIB Mega Drive or PCE games).

Personally, most of my MD and PCE games are CIB, but I don't worry about boxes for SFC or FC games at all. To be honest, CIB SFC games are doable... but for FC games I don't think it's worth the effort unless you are extremely picky.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    As someone who's been in Japan for years, I can tell you that finding CIB Famicom games is VERY difficult for all but the most common games. It can be done, but it's a lot tougher than for a system like the Super Famicom (which is, in turn, a lot tougher than finding CIB Mega Drive or PCE games).

Personally, most of my MD and PCE games are CIB, but I don't worry about boxes for SFC or FC games at all. To be honest, CIB SFC games are doable... but for FC games I don't think it's worth the effort unless you are extremely picky.
    The funny part about that is that I would have said exactly the same thing, making the same comparisons, with all the analogous American counterparts for all those platforms.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Except Complete TG-16 games are a lot more difficult if you want the outer cardboard box. More difficult, imo, than the spine cards for Japanese PCE CD games, for instance.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nico87 View Post
    Oh well, doesn't look look like my obsession with CIB games is going to end anytime soon. I actually found alot of the Famicom games I wanted for a pretty good price on Japangamestock, believe it or not! All CIB!

Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari - $52
    Getsufu Maden - $33
    The Goonies - $25
    Konami WaiWai World 2 - $35
    Yume Pengiun Monogatari - $31
    Rockman 4 - $30
    Rockman 5 - $33

Ok, not relatively cheap, but okay.

I don't see a CIB copy of Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari on eBay very often. When it's there, it's usually a Buy it Now for around $80.

Not seen CIB copies of Getsufu Maden on eBay for a while, the loose ones are around $25-30.

Can't find copies of The Goonies on eBay. There's loose ones of the sequel that goes for around $20-25.

No CIB copies of WaiWai World 2, loose ones for $20-35

Yume Penguin Monogatari - no copies, neither loose or CIB on eBay. Last loose copy went for $25.

The Rockman games go for anywhere between $60-$100.

I'm happy!
    CIB i know isn't that big of deal to me when it comes to the famicom.When the game is cheapest loose then i'll buy it that way,but if i can get a good deal on it CIB then i'll take it itstead.

Btw i notice you mention rockman...that is one serise that i find to expensive when getting it boxed.With the rockman serise i've just stuck to getting it loose since it is cheaper.

As for any game that is on disc it must be cib for me period.

Though when it comes down having a game,cib isn't every thing if your happy having it loose so you can play it.Then there is nothing wrong with that.

Heck when it comes to the neo-geo mvs alot of times i'll get the game loose...since it's cheaper for me then buying it as a kit.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 03-09-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNtd View Post
    The funny part about that is that I would have said exactly the same thing, making the same comparisons, with all the analogous American counterparts for all those platforms.
    Yup, exact same thing in Japan!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Btw i notice you mention rockman that is one serise that i find to expensive when getting it boxed.With the rockman serise i've just stuck to getting it loose since it is cheaper.
    Rockman games are difficult to find for cheap. Even loose, they are more expensive than most Famicom games... unfortunately.

(yeah... this should've been one post instead of two...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    Rockman games are difficult to find for cheap. Even loose, they are more expensive than most Famicom games... unfortunately.
    Yeah i think it is i think it is due to demand the serise has due to it's exposure again.

You can thank in part for mega man 9&10 coming out as down loads for the PS3,360 and wii.

Heck i've seen people interested in mm 1-6 all of the sudden...ever since 9&10 have came out.