Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SEGA in the design phase of a new system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some nutwad has been posting this fictitious nonsense on various message boards.
    It's obviously bullshit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Sounds like sega next hardware for the arcades

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    daddypushi

Being a devoted SEGA fan I felt like 7 Years old again when I read this, obviously someone is pulling our leg with all this, but I wonder what if??

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    then the hope for shenmue 3 is still alive....

ZOMGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is one of the tittles I really want to finish so for a moment I believed what this guy wrote!

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    This is actually a very old gamercard. It'll be a PS3 trophycard again soon though. Still haven't changed it.

I don't really see that. Sega has plenty of current IPs for older gamers. Yakuza 3, Valkyria Chronicles, Madworld, House of the Dead, Virtua Fighter, and Phantasy Star. The other thing is that Sega doesn't just have a single genre under their belt, they cover pretty much everything.

If Sega ever does release a new system. They already have the best 3d fighting game for a console exclusive, several great series that they can bring back for sequels, etc. They also have a mascot that is as well known as Mario is. Also. I know Sonic fans would give this system their undying support as they still support every Sonic game released no matter how bad, so when all these Sonic titles are exclusive, Sega will be raking in the sales.

In that matter SEGA haves a huge library to make sequels but I really don't think they will come up with another console and if they try to make the same mistake to launch a year early like previous two attempts well that brews another downfall cause that means they don't learn from their mistakes, although the machines were ahead of their time they didn't complete either!

But (stupid hope) if they do and they come with an excellent platform for fighting games as the NEO-GEO on its time Ill gladly spend even $800 on the console (bought DC Launch $380 + Soul C. and Sonic and MC $480 overall, PS2 Launch $400 + Tekken TAG and SSX and MC $550 overall, Xbox launch $585 forced on the EB Games bundles Halo and Amped with extra controller bundle, all that in Vegas in the US, In Canada Xbox360 $600 no games for the first week (also console only lasted 2 months), PS3 60Gb $900 + $56 for Resistance and the warranty in Bestbuy I was already scared with the 360) as you can see prices go up every new console!!

So for the complete SEGA collection that I claim I have Ill buy it for sure!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Once again, coming from a Sega fan boy, I'd like to believe that it's true. And if it was true I'd be there on day one to pick up my pre-purchased console (like I did with the Dreamcast), but really - I don't think it's ever gonna happen. Sega is now just a fading memory to a lot of people. It's very very sad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heard its launching with Shenmue 3, Nights 2, Streets of Rage 4 and Panzer Dragoon Saga 2

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Muscelli View Post
    I heard its launching with Shenmue 3, Nights 2, Streets of Rage 4 and Panzer Dragoon Saga 2
    Lawl.

I know a lot of people want Sega to release another console (myself included) but unless they start pulling old IPs such as the Vectorman, Streets of Rage, Shining Force, Treasure, NiGHTS, Sega Rally, Daytona, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Phantasy Star, Space Harrier, After Burner, etc. etc. out of their ass and put it on the console, what would there even be to launch the system?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Like publishers are going to pay for a fourth (or greater if we count handhelds) version for one of their games. The big stuff already costs crazy amounts of money to make, lets add to it by adding another system. Quality will drop even more.

Sega as a home console maker is dead. I wish people would get that into their heads. Sonic fans couldn't 'save' Sonic this generation (like any of them bought Sonic Unleased, let alone the shit that was Sonic The Hedgehog), they won't save a console with their support. There isn't a big enough market to bring the 'arcade' home ala the AES. Hell I can't even find arcades to go to.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, I don't see why they couldn't do a home system. They have a good chunk of the arcade market, and the actual arcade hardware isn't terribly expensive. Things like the cabinets, LCDs, and such are where the cost is. There's many home hardware options available to them now that they didn't have back in the 90s...

I can see them partnering with a cablebox or BD player manufacturer to create a hybrid gaming-multimedia device. As we've seen, these device makers are competing with different added features like NetFlix, YouTube, etc. TiVo is supposedly trying to reinvent their image, so I'm sure that a gaming DVR would be a possibility.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

What, rent-to-play streamed games? Download it, only have it for a week, and it's gone sort of thing? They kind of have that thing going with demos. But, Sega already tried this stuff, remember Sega Channel? Well, if Sega makes a system, it will probably fail, but I'll buy it anyways, because I love Sega.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Lawl.

I know a lot of people want Sega to release another console (myself included) but unless they start pulling old IPs such as the Vectorman, Streets of Rage, Shining Force, Treasure, NiGHTS, Sega Rally, Daytona, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Phantasy Star, Space Harrier, After Burner, etc. etc. out of their ass and put it on the console, what would there even be to launch the system?
    The market is not big enough to handle another "me too" console. Besides, they can't even seem to handle their mascot today, much less a new console.
    Last edited by Hari Seldon; 03-09-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

To quote what I said last year...

I don't think it's going to happen. Wishful thinking maybe, but the chances of it happening are slim. Time will tell I guess.
    I'd like to also add that if Sega was to release a console... it would have to cater to the retrogaming / hardcore gaming demographic and not compete with today's consoles. A specialty Sega console with the oldschool Sega gamer in mind.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    To quote what I said last year...

I'd like to also add that if Sega was to release a console... it would have to cater to the retrogaming / hardcore gaming demographic and not compete with today's consoles. A specialty Sega console with the oldschool Sega gamer in mind.
    Much like the Neo Geo, as Dangerboy said earlier. A sort of niche platform.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If any of that is true, this would be the perfect time to get back into the console developing business, as Sony is very weak at the moment, and if Sony's next console is anything but the be all end all of new school era consoles, they'll be forced to drop out.

I so don't see Microsoft going anywhere though, with their amazing online support for their games, and the fact the 360 is technically not a console to begin with(It's a repackaged gaming grade PC, that doesn't need to be upgraded every other year, and costs less then 20% of what a gaming grade PC would normally cost), so unless Microsoft goes in a totally new dirrection(doubtful, seeing how this is their thing), they aren't going anywhere.

PS. I don't think I have to mention this, but Nintendo is about as fail proof as you can get in this industry right now, so even if their next system somehow sucked balls, Nintendo will still be in very good condition to recoup with no problem.
    Last edited by Zoltor; 03-09-2010 at 06:03 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I think we're still in the mindset that only certain companies can produce and market new consoles. With how standardized hardware is getting these days, it wouldn't be surprising to see LG or Samsung make a game console. Of course, they'd probably be tied to digital distribution at first, but there's no reason to leave out a disk drive for DVD playback and leave packaged games an open possibility.

I don't think that there's any money to be made on niche hardware, to be honest. Why develop an expensive piece of hardware with little to no third-party support and only market it to a small group? It would have to perform some other function like Blu-Ray playback or internet video services to sell well. Sony already did the DVR thing with the PSX, which combined PS2 and a DVR (and usurped my preferred abbreviation for PS1).

Everyone and their brother are making these multi-function media boxes now, and it's only a matter of time before we see a gaming console integrated into one. Watch the video on the TiVo homepage and see what their new box does. Sony is releasing a DVR add-on for PS3, but a truly integrated box like that would be a revolutionary console.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    You know, I think we're still in the mindset that only certain companies can produce and market new consoles. With how standardized hardware is getting these days, it wouldn't be surprising to see LG or Samsung make a game console. Of course, they'd probably be tied to digital distribution at first, but there's no reason to leave out a disk drive for DVD playback and leave packaged games an open possibility.

I don't think that there's any money to be made on niche hardware, to be honest. Why develop an expensive piece of hardware with little to no third-party support and only market it to a small group? It would have to perform some other function like Blu-Ray playback or internet video services to sell well. Sony already did the DVR thing with the PSX, which combined PS2 and a DVR (and usurped my preferred abbreviation for PS1).

Everyone and their brother are making these multi-function media boxes now, and it's only a matter of time before we see a gaming console integrated into one. Watch the video on the TiVo homepage and see what their new box does. Sony is releasing a DVR add-on for PS3, but a truly integrated box like that would be a revolutionary console.
    Samsung tried already with the Nuon, didn't work. The unreleased system Indrema wanted to include the Tivo feature, but they didn't have enough money to get their project going. To compete right now would be foolish, unless like some people have said, play to the niche market, and keep it profitable on the system hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I can see them partnering with a cablebox or BD player manufacturer to create a hybrid gaming-multimedia device. As we've seen, these device makers are competing with different added features like NetFlix, YouTube, etc. TiVo is supposedly trying to reinvent their image, so I'm sure that a gaming DVR would be a possibility.
    Wasn't there supposed to be something exactly like that with Dreamcast compatibility, which would "keep the Dreamcast alive"? And then it never came out.

At this point I see no real reason for Sega, or anyone else to jump into the game console business. Sure, they could, but why would they want to?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Like publishers are going to pay for a fourth (or greater if we count handhelds) version for one of their games. The big stuff already costs crazy amounts of money to make, lets add to it by adding another system. Quality will drop even more.

Sega as a home console maker is dead. I wish people would get that into their heads. Sonic fans couldn't 'save' Sonic this generation (like any of them bought Sonic Unleased, let alone the shit that was Sonic The Hedgehog), they won't save a console with their support. There isn't a big enough market to bring the 'arcade' home ala the AES. Hell I can't even find arcades to go to.
    But...
    ...I own Sonic Unleashed, Sonic '06, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic and the Black Knight. hehehe

This topic comes up more and more.

Sega does not seem financially setup to handle the heavy blow a console does to them. A new arcade system is very, very possible. I could see that happening.

If Sega were truly planning it, they would definately need to wait and hope that the games this year will get them enough money to make more money than they did last year.

I could have missed a title or 2, but from what I have seen, these look like the big hitters for Sega this year:
    Bayonetta, AvP, Sonic 4, Sonic and Mario at the Olympics, Alpha Protocol, Sonic All-Stars Racing.

This is better than previous years where they were relying on a single Sonic game that was from the storybook series for Wii or something.

Sega needs to get stable ground when it comes to being just a game company before it could even consider releasing a console.

Sega is everywhere in the arcades, but as for consoles, I would be very shocked if they released a new system.

If they had the money, now would be a good time to do it. The Wii hype has settled. The hype for getting one or the other consoles is not really there. Right now it seems to all be just about the games and the system, without a bunch of marketting behind it (well, there is some for the PS3, but not that huge).

If they want to do it, they better start getting hype up now, because everybody knows the holiday shopping season is the prime time to get hype up for this.

Me, personally, I am not holding my breath for a new home console.

For the record, I loved the DC before it went away. I did not even get a PS2 until after the DC stopped putting out games in North America.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ambriglia's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO, it is not happening. from a business standpoint, it does not make sense for them. they will have to invest wayy too much money to make it happen. console systems are not very profitable.

the only way i see it happening is if they go a similar route nintendo did with the wii. cheap hardware and something innovative. something new. i dont think the franchises they own are strong enough. sonic is its only saving grace...

heh... you what would sell? a sonic FPS!!! hahahaha!
    Game on.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Hell I can't even find arcades to go to.
    What a compelling problem for a product/solution that puts one in your living room!

I'm not buying into this story, but I'm not going to outright state that it's impossible either. Because frankly, it's not. A lot has shifted in the industry in the last 4 years... Remember, Atari said "No, thanks." to the NA rights and distribution of the Famicom. They thought it was impossible too.

Even still, odds are 19 to 1 against. But sometimes, one is enough.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This story is complete rubbish!!! There is no way that SEGA would go back to the console hardware business. Too risky financially...