Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: SEGA in the design phase of a new system.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If true, it would be incredible.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No WAY!

1.they got a bad reputation with the stores.
    2. now is not the time (economic cricis)
    3. all there consoles after the magadrive where epic fail.

However. If they would try it they would have to go neo geo aes style.
    It seems like a paradox but a super high priced elite system like the neo geo aes back in the day,would work.
    And sega could pull it off,remember they pulled this off before the dreamcast was way ahead but this time they would have to go even further.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by mr obscure View Post
    And sega could pull it off
    No WAY!!!

There is no possible way an "elite" console in the vein of an AES would be viable in today's gaming market.

I love how some people get a raging videogame boner over the thought of Sega making a new console, knowing that the end result is going to be nothing but blue balls.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh come on! you guys are so closed minded! Who wouldn't jump on a new SEGA console right now? People are tired of Sony's expensive, lagging console as well as Microsoft's crappy, keeps on breaking console and Nintendo's gimmick has finally run its course. SEGA is a familiar name, it's not like a brand new company. They know the market and hopefully can learn from their mistakes. They have popular 1st party games, so, really it's as perfect of a time as ever to get back in the game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

If you'd look past your own blind enthusiasm, you'd see that it would be suicide for them to even attempt it, given their financial position.

Not to mention that developers are already strapped as it is, producing games for 3 different consoles. What new IPs we're getting would disappear since those resources would likely go towards creating a version of a title for yet another platform.

Sony has Blu-Ray as an incentive for their console, not to mention their past 2 consoles were extremely well-received. Microsoft has LIVE, and the 360 has excellent brand penetration. Nintendo has their brand name that has consistently stood for successful consoles for the past 25 years, not to mention the Wii's ridiculously wide customer appeal.

What does Sega have? Their last 2 consoles, the latest of which was out close to 10 years ago, were both considerably less-than-stellar in the marketplace(no matter how much YOU liked the Dreamcast). Their brand name is tarnished not only from their console screw-ups, but their sub-par game production since they made the decision to focus strictly on software. They just don't have what it takes to produce a console that will have wide consumer appeal. A niche market console in today's day and age just wouldn't cut it.

You're not close-minded when you're using rational thought.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    No WAY!!!

There is no possible way an "elite" console in the vein of an AES would be viable in today's gaming market.

I love how some people get a raging videogame boner over the thought of Sega making a new console, knowing that the end result is going to be nothing but blue balls.
    YOUR WRONG

An elite insane high priced console from sega or anybody else would work!
    Why? Companies lose there most money on hardware and try to make money from software.So if you pump these prices up extreme high it could work.(low risk,low production)
    Nintendo is on the casual market,M$ and sony are medium hardcore gamer market,so the elite market is way open.
    I can't see other companies developing much for a new sega system.
    So a high priced elite sega system with only high quality game releases is the way to go.
    It seems strange in a economic crisis,but in the top is always money.
    Look at it like this,The normal cars dropped further in sales then the more luxery cars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

NO U

PS3 was basically a failure at $600. It's flourishing at $250.

If you're saying that choking supply of moderately priced goods for high priced ones will cause sales to skyrocket, you're insane. People will do without.

It's feast or famine. Why sell a few high-priced items when you can sell that same item many times over at a lower price and still come away with the same profits? Having the item in more people's hands seems like the way to go.

High-priced software would not make up for the cost of designing, developing, producing, marketing, and supporting an entirely new games console. You'd have to count on every adpoter to buy tons of software, and people aren't made out of money you know.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you'd look past your own blind enthusiasm, you'd see that it would be suicide for them to even attempt it, given their financial position.

Not to mention that developers are already strapped as it is, producing games for 3 different consoles. What new IPs we're getting would disappear since those resources would likely go towards creating a version of a title for yet another platform.

Sony has Blu-Ray as an incentive for their console, not to mention their past 2 consoles were extremely well-received. Microsoft has LIVE, and the 360 has excellent brand penetration. Nintendo has their brand name that has consistently stood for successful consoles for the past 25 years, not to mention the Wii's ridiculously wide customer appeal.

What does Sega have? Their last 2 consoles, the latest of which was out close to 10 years ago, were both considerably less-than-stellar in the marketplace(no matter how much YOU liked the Dreamcast). Their brand name is tarnished not only from their console screw-ups, but their sub-par game production since they made the decision to focus strictly on software. They just don't have what it takes to produce a console that will have wide consumer appeal. A niche market console in today's day and age just wouldn't cut it.

You forgot to mention how Sega is #1 in the Arcade market, a market where they produce hardware and software, not to mention it being the market where the most hardcore gamers spend most of their money. It would take a while to see a return on their investment, but there's little doubt that SEGA could create a successful console for a niche market. The only question would be whether SEGA could get their hands on enough capital for such a venture.

You said "A niche market console in today's day and age just wouldn't cut it", which makes no sense at all. How can you say such a thing when the video game market is so huge? Huge markets are where niches thrive!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Nakamura View Post
    You forgot to mention how Sega is #1 in the Arcade market, a market where they produce hardware and software, not to mention it being the market where the most hardcore gamers spend most of their money. It would take a while to see a return on their investment, but there's little doubt that SEGA could create a successful console for a niche market. The only question would be whether SEGA could get their hands on enough capital for such a venture.
    The only places that arcades thrive are in Japan. That scene has long been absent from the US. Point out a successful arcade chain in the US, and none of this Dave & Busters/GameWorks crap that's essentially a sports bar with some video games and relies on ticket redemption games to make any sort of profit with electronic entertainment.

You said "A niche market console in today's day and age just wouldn't cut it", which makes no sense at all. How can you say such a thing when the video game market is so huge? Huge markets are where niches thrive!
    Companies don't want to take risks. That's why you see Guitar Hero and Call of Duty games and sports titles being recycled on an almost yearly basis. THe market right now, given the size and amount of money it takes to make these games, cannot support a mass-market device that will *only* cater to hardcore gamers.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NO U

PS3 was basically a failure at $600. It's flourishing at $250.

If you're saying that choking supply of moderately priced goods for high priced ones will cause sales to skyrocket, you're insane. People will do without.

It's feast or famine. Why sell a few high-priced items when you can sell that same item many times over at a lower price and still come away with the same profits? Having the item in more people's hands seems like the way to go.

High-priced software would not make up for the cost of designing, developing, producing, marketing, and supporting an entirely new games console. You'd have to count on every adpoter to buy tons of software, and people aren't made out of money you know.

You don't understand?!
    Remember the neo geo aes,have you ever seen 1 back in the day?
    I had a snes and most friends had a snes or megadrive.
    1 Friend had a neo geo aes when compaired to my snes i was like FUCK

You can't compaire this with a $600 ps3 and 360,wii competition
    The new sega system has to be way Ahead.Super high priced and elite.
    The idea of the neo geo was not about money but about something exclusive ,bringing the arcade home.
    Something like this could work for a new sega sytem the would have to stand out BIG.If they would try to copy the wii or come with something like the 360 or ps3 ther doomed.

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your blind hatred for SEGA is making you miss my point. Contrary to what you suggest, I was never a fanboy. In fact the only system of theirs I actually played was the SMS. My point is that this generation of consoles has sucked. X360 is a complete disaster of a system with the RRoD situation. The Wii was super popular but like I said the novelty of their gimmick is wearing off. There are tons of articles out there starting to point out that trend. The PS3 is my fav, you can probably call me a Sony fanboy but was too expensive for too long and although catching up is way behind the others. So, people are ready for something new. With the current economy, SEGA can probably find a factory willing to manufacture really cheap. I really don't see this such a ridiculous financial risk. Sony did it with PS1 and made a killing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Remember the neo geo aes,have you ever seen 1 back in the day?
    Is SNK still making game consoles? No. They're making arcade games and porting them to consoles.

You put things at a premium price, leaps and bounds over what's currently available, and you only serve a small number of customers.
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 03-11-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    Your blind hatred for SEGA is making you miss my point. Contrary to what you suggest, I was never a fanboy. In fact the only system of theirs I actually played was the SMS. My point is that this generation of consoles has sucked. X360 is a complete disaster of a system with the RRoD situation. The Wii was super popular but like I said the novelty of their gimmick is wearing off. There are tons of articles out there starting to point out that trend. The PS3 is my fav, you can probably call me a Sony fanboy but was too expensive for too long and although catching up is way behind the others. So, people are ready for something new. With the current economy, SEGA can probably find a factory willing to manufacture really cheap. I really don't see this such a ridiculous financial risk. Sony did it with PS1 and made a killing!
    I don't have a hatred for Sega, I was a Dreamcast launch buyer and supported it all the way until its death. I have a small stash of Genesis games I enjoy from time to time as well.

You mention how Sony pulled it off...but don't forget that Sony is/was a huge corporation with cash to spend on such a venture. Sega doesn't have that luxury. I don't think that tons of people would be excited to drop money on a new, unproven gaming console from a manufacturer that doesn't have a good track record when it comes to gaming machines, especially with the economy in its current state.

And even though you say this generation of consoles has sucked, they ALL are still selling pretty well. Nintendo and Sony have actually reached a point that their machines are somewhat tough to locate in stores.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only places that arcades thrive are in Japan. That scene has long been absent from the US. Point out a successful arcade chain in the US, and none of this Dave & Busters/GameWorks crap that's essentially a sports bar with some video games and relies on ticket redemption games to make any sort of profit with electronic entertainment.
    SEGA is a Japanese company, remember? If you're going to release a niche product, the first thing you do is look at your home market.

Companies don't want to take risks. That's why you see Guitar Hero and Call of Duty games and sports titles being recycled on an almost yearly basis. THe market right now, given the size and amount of money it takes to make these games, cannot support a mass-market device that will *only* cater to hardcore gamers.
    I agree that the cost of games has had a huge influence on game creativity / originality, however a well-designed console with thoughtful design tools could help to counteract this. SEGA, although much less now than in the past, is still a company that takes risks when it comes to innovation and originality.

The PS3 seems to be a programmer's nightmare, and the XBOX brand will never be seen as cool anywhere outside of America. SEGA still has a decent brand image, it's a strictly games company which can only be a good thing, not a soulless money making machine like Microsoft or Sony.

It's unlikely that SEGA will release a new console, but if they do, it might just save this culture we call Video Gaming.

Video game sales have been hardly affected by the financial crisis, in fact we've seen some record sales in some areas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

SEGA is a Japanese company, remember? If you're going to release a niche product, the first thing you do is look at your home market.
    Right, but the Japanese market has been in the toilet. When taking such a huge gamble, they can't just look at the home market and rely on that for their proposal. If it's not going to sell well in other parts of the world, it's probably not worth the investment risks.

I agree that the cost of games has had a huge influence on game creativity / originality, however a well-designed console with thoughtful design tools could help to counteract this. SEGA, although much less now than in the past, is still a company that takes risks when it comes to innovation and originality.

The PS3 seems to be a programmer's nightmare, and the XBOX brand will never be seen as cool anywhere outside of America. SEGA still has a decent brand image, it's a strictly games company which can only be a good thing, not a soulless money making machine like Microsoft or Sony.

It's unlikely that SEGA will release a new console, but if they do, it might just save this culture we call Video Gaming.
    Even with well-thought-out design tools, it's still going cost a lot of money to make games for it. You've got tons of indie devs making games for the 360, so it can't be THAT hard(in comparison, mind you), but the top tier titles, the "killer apps", those cost insane amounts of money to produce.

I don't disagree with you that Sega is an innovative company, but I don't think they have what it takes to survive in the console market again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right, but the Japanese market has been in the toilet. When taking such a huge gamble, they can't just look at the home market and rely on that for their proposal. If it's not going to sell well in other parts of the world, it's probably not worth the investment risks.

Even with well-thought-out design tools, it's still going cost a lot of money to make games for it. You've got tons of indie devs making games for the 360, so it can't be THAT hard(in comparison, mind you), but the top tier titles, the "killer apps", those cost insane amounts of money to produce.

I don't disagree with you that Sega is an innovative company, but I don't think they have what it takes to survive in the console market again.
    You are correct in one aspect. If you are not making a AAA title, it does not cost too much. I have been working on an indie game in my free time, and I have used about $200 for it thus far.

I think, for me, I would love to see this and also love to not see it.

Let me explain: If this happened, it would seriously make or break Sega. It would be awesome to see them doing consoles again, but if it failed, then that would be that.

If they were going to do it, they would really have to have some type of niche or gimmick. Let's face it, only a slin few of us would buy a Sega console because it was a Sega console.

Why should Joe Shmoe from 2 blocks down thrown down another 200-300 on a new console when the same good AAA titles are already getting released on PS3, which he already owns.

It would have to come down to the 1st party games, and that means that Sega would need to start healing some wounds of the non fanboys to get them back on board with Sega's 1st party games.

Me, I will buy pretty much anything that has Sonic in it and then explain whether I liked it or not later on. Not everybody is like me. The masses would need a reason to either switch their current console, or get another. Regardless of what I thought of the games, you can easily go online and see what the masses though of the latest Sonic games, which is Sega's posterboy.

Unfortunately, it might come down to Sonic 4. If Sega can pull off Sonic 4 and restore some faith to the masses, then it is possible to get people rearing for Sega again.

The trailers are making this look like it will be a direct successor or Sonic 3, which is exactly what everybody and their mom has been bitching about. Now the answer is here. If the game dissappoints, there will just be too many people turning a blind eye.

Right now, it seems that many people are just super skeptical of Sonic, but still willing to give him a nother chance. That is all Sega can ask for at this point.

When it comes to a console, they are definately not ready. It is not all financial. Even if you can afford it, if nobody is going to buy it, nobody is going to buy it. You need the masses to support you.

Based on Sega's track record, they need to build that up. As I have posted before, this year will be a very good year for Sega. It is a good start.

Sega can make another console. Don't expect anything anytime soon unless you are consolizing Naomi's and TriForces yourself. Sega is rebuilding even still.

They last couple of years they have been trying to push out different stuff, but it just has not been working out. They don't have near as many movie-2-game releases this year (I don't count AvP since it is not based on the movie series, but the old school series that was out on PC and Jaguar).

This year they have some very quality titles coming out, plus Sonic 4 is coming out this summer. If Sega can make it through this year with much higher profits, than next yeat is looking even better.

If Sega is able to rebuild themselves next year like they are doing this year, then they might be able to afford it. Unfortunately, they need to do some kind of rebuilding whether I like it or not. Golden Compass: The Game? Really? I am a Sega fanboy and even I think that is a bad idea.

As for arcade systems, yeah, I can see another upgrade easily happening.

Home consoles, Sega is just not ready to do it yet. It is possible. Very possible. They just need to go one step at a time for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quoted for truth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No WAY!
    No WAY!!!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Just listening to the CheapAssGamer podcast and found out that Sega has released 10 games in the past three months.

I knew of four games. Yakuza 3, Resonance of Fate, Sands of Destruction, and Bayonetta. The other ones I either didnt know were Sega titles as I wasn't interested, or I didn't know about the games being released.

Didn't Sony or Microsoft say it's not what games are on what system, it's what first party games are on what system? Sega looks like it'd beat all three games when it comes to first party developed and published titles.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Resonance of Fate is not a Sega-developed title, it's actually Tri-Ace. Still, the fact that they're a publisher for third-party developers is a good thing should they attempt another home console. I don't think they'd have any trouble securing a solid set of launch titles with their connections.

Microsoft doesn't exactly have first-party games. They just bring certain developers close enough that you could argue that those developers are assimilated into Microsoft. Sega could be like Nintendo was with Rare back in the 90s, except now it seems they could have more than one company in that type of relationship.