Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to build a PC specifically for games from the 96 to 99 era...any suggestions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Windows ME is fine once tweaked. It was faster, had a better defrag, more built in drivers, etc.

The hard dive is definitely overkill!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ME it is then. Yeah, I know the drive is crazy, and I'm still thinking about how to partition it. On the plus side, I can move all my old Windows game ISOs onto it, and free up space on my main. There's ISO mounting tools for ME, right?

So on one of these 96-99 era systems, what else could they run? I'm curious about UT2003 on this spec... How about the other way around, can I run the DOS glide-driver games on ME?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Might need better video, but Quake 3 Arena is the shit!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is the first time I've ever seen someone recommend ME. Granted, I've had my suspicions that claims of its inferiority are overstated, but no one has ever refuted them before. What tweaks are you thinking of, Mr. aaron7? (Certainly, ME will quickly become unstable with 512 MB of RAM unless properly configured, but the same goes for 9x.)

There are instructions at mdgx.com for taking the best features out of ME and sticking them in a 98SE installation, but if you don't have 98SE handy that won't be helpful at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    There's ISO mounting tools for ME, right?
    Yup, there are older versions of Daemon Tools that should do the trick.

By the way, Q3 is on sale on Steam at the moment. Of course, I would doubt that you can get Steam running on 9x/ME, even with some of the kernel hacks that have been developed.
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 03-31-2010 at 02:31 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why would 98 or ME care about 512mb RAM? I've had many systems in the shop with that and no issues.

Windows ME was a fine OS. The main complaint was the scandisk check on nearly every boot. That's easily changable (just google that one). Also disable the sytem restore in the system properties. Make sure to do all the Windows Updates as well and it'll be just as stable as 98!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    Why would 98 or ME care about 512mb RAM? I've had many systems in the shop with that and no issues.
    There is certainly no shortage of reported problems with more than 512 MB out there. Admittedly I have only had experience with instability on one machine with 512 MB.

Windows ME was a fine OS. The main complaint was the scandisk check on nearly every boot. That's easily changable (just google that one). Also disable the sytem restore in the system properties. Make sure to do all the Windows Updates as well and it'll be just as stable as 98!
    Don't forget the lack of real-mode DOS.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    There is certainly no shortage of reported problems with more than 512 MB out there. Admittedly I have only had experience with instability on one machine with 512 MB.

Don't forget the lack of real-mode DOS.
    I was going to say, ME runs fine off 512 megs. There is a couple of fixes for that if you actually need to run more then that anyway. My capture system runs ME with 512megs, I never have issues with it. As for lacking a real dos mode, I never did get around to testing this myself, but heard others had success with it.

http://majorgeeks.com/Real_DOS-Mode_...r_ME_d513.html
    and
    http://www.dewassoc.com/support/winme/real_dos.htm

Most everything on the guys game list will run fine in ME regardless anyway. Like aaron7 said, just make sure to update it completely and it will run solid.
    Last edited by PC-ENGINE HELL; 03-31-2010 at 04:36 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is the Windows Update server still up for ME? I wasn't even going to put a NIC in this machine...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is the Windows Update server still up for ME? I wasn't even going to put a NIC in this machine...
    Yea, its still going, so you can update fully. I used it just a couple of weeks ago in fact.

ME it is then. Yeah, I know the drive is crazy, and I'm still thinking about how to partition it. On the plus side, I can move all my old Windows game ISOs onto it, and free up space on my main. There's ISO mounting tools for ME, right?

So on one of these 96-99 era systems, what else could they run? I'm curious about UT2003 on this spec... How about the other way around, can I run the DOS glide-driver games on ME?
    Yea the drive size is a bit large, but more is always better if you want to house a lot of game installs anyway. UT2003 will run on a system running Windows ME no problem. Same if you are using 512 megs and a Athlon Thunderbird 1400 mhz. The issue you will have is getting the game to run on a Voodoo 3. I know the game will run on a Voodoo 5 though with 3rd party drivers. Otherwise if you are wanting to run something like UT2k3 you may want to go with a GPU with more horsepower, like a Radeon 8500 or Geforce 2 Ultra/TI on up.

For mounting ISOs in Windows ME you can use Virtual CloneDrive. It works fine, and will save you the hassle of trying to dig through older versions of Daemon Tools and Power ISO trying to find one that works.
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can still get Windows Updates for 98SE too. You have to install IE6 first however. Not sure if that was bundled in ME or not. If not, install it first.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I get 20-30 fps average in UT2003 at normal settings with my Voodoo 3 2000 OCed to 166mhz. It doesn't look like the lighting is working the way it should be, everything's kinda washed out. I tried maxing it out, and it seems to crash pretty quickly, but framerates are decent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rather than mucking with Windows Update, it would be far better to get one of the unofficial service packs for 98SE/ME, I would think.

Also, I really can't see why anyone would want to use a Voodoo card for a non-3DFX game anymore, unless perhaps it is explicitly suggested in the game's documentation. (Pretty much the only thing my Voodoo2 was used for was Anachronox, and that was only because I didn't want to upgrade my AGP All-in-Wonder Pro and lose my TV tuner.)

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    You can still get Windows Updates for 98SE too. You have to install IE6 first however. Not sure if that was bundled in ME or not. If not, install it first.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    I did not know this.

I just downloaded the Service Pack 2.1a

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rather than mucking with Windows Update, it would be far better to get one of the unofficial service packs for 98SE/ME, I would think.

Also, I really can't see why anyone would want to use a Voodoo card for a non-3DFX game anymore, unless perhaps it is explicitly suggested in the game's documentation. (Pretty much the only thing my Voodoo2 was used for was Anachronox, and that was only because I didn't want to upgrade my AGP All-in-Wonder Pro and lose my TV tuner.)
    When it comes down to it, I would rather make sure I got every legit update available then not. At least you will know for sure after using Windows update. It doesn't take that long to do anyway. You can have either OS fully updated in about 30 mins or less. As for 3DFX cards, the Voodoo 4 and 5 ran Direct X and Open GL related titles released until around the end early 2001, depending on the title. Even some of the earlier Direct X 8 titles run fine on a Voodoo 5, even with just using the last official drivers released by 3DFX.

Visually and frame rate wise the Voodoo3 does take more of a hit and sometimes needs fixes and work arounds, but can be used for a wide range of DX7-early DX8 games regardless. The Voodoo 3 was fully capable Direct X 6 generation card. The Voodoo 4 and 5 do perfectly fine, if lets say you wanted to run something like NOLF, Serious Sam, Max Payne, MOH:AA(with Mesa GL file) or Aliens versus Predator 2, as they benefited from DX7 features and better OpenGL performance. Basically lets you squeeze more out of the hardware then just using it for Glide only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

While they may work "perfectly fine", you can probably get an ATI or nVidia card that will be more powerful and just as compatible, and probably be substantially cheaper, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While they may work "perfectly fine", you can probably get an ATI or nVidia card that will be more powerful and just as compatible, and probably be substantially cheaper, too.
    I think your forgetting there are some 3DFX fans out there that simply prefer to use the Voodoo line for the older pre 2k2 stuff in general over using a Nvidia or ATI product, not just for Glide titles. FSAA was pretty nice on the Voodoo 4 and 5 too for that matter for simulations and driving games, and visually superior to the GF line back then.

Also, I think you have a perceived underestimate of the power of the Voodoo 4 and 5 line. The games I mentioned above, Serious Sam, NOLF, Max Payne, and Aliens versus Predator 2, along with other stuff like Hitman, Carmageddon TDR 2000, Rollcage Stage 2, Quake 3 Team Arena, Undying, Im able to run fine on high settings with my Voodoo 5. The average fps on those titles tends to be in the 50-70 range on my system Im using my Voodoo 5500 on.

Anything above 30 is completely playable as it is, 50 on up is great obviously. Its paired with a Athlon 2600/Nforce 2 Ultra motherboard combo and a SB Live running Windows ME. Eventually Im going to pair it with a Athlon 64 cpu/motherboard combo when I get off my lazy ass and put one together. Yea, a GF 2 TI, GF3, or Radeon 7600/8500 could run some of the above faster, sure, but who cares. Like I said, I already get the fps performance I need with the V5 doing the job I want it to do, and I get the benefit of compatibility with older Glide optimized titles.

The fact older GF and ATI cards are cheaper is moot if you already have a Voodoo 3-5 lying around like NayusDante does, or in my case since I have both a Banshee and a Voodoo 5 Pci, and you know what you want to use the card for, and it does the job to your standards. If you dont have one, and dont intend to play Glide stuff, then yea, it makes sense to go with a GF 2, or Radeon card.

No one here is saying to pick a Voodoo over anything else for that matter, so no point in debating what line of cards can run what newer game better? NayusDante just was simply wondering if UT2k3 era stuff could be run, and got his answer, that was all. I already suggested the original op a small list of cards (Nvidia, ATI, and 3DFX line) to buy for the generation of games he was wanting to run.

Anything like UT 2k3, no, I myself would never use my V5 for that game, but I can understand why some 3DFX fans would. Yea it can run it well enough on medium settings with the newer 3rd party drivers, but for me personally, anything visually intensive like that, or from 2002 on up for that matter, Id rather use one of my later cards, like my Geforce 4 TI4200, or Radeon 9600 and 9700. On a computer one of those is in, I'd not be running anything released prior to late 2001 either unless the game was really demanding, because its GPU overkill.

Also, just for the record, Id never recommend anyone go and buy a Voodoo 2 for a older system. Getting a good reliable set of cards to be used in SLI would run a bit more then a solid Voodoo 3 3000 pci or agp card, and that card tramples a V2 two card combo any day of the week in Glide, Open GL, or Direct X, both in FPS and visually, take your pick. And the V2 needs a 2D capable card, just eating up more space that could be saved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had this (but PC version, not Mac):

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/obsidian/

It was LONG and got HOT, but it was the best damn card at the time. 3DFX was the leader...no doubt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So that card is about as long as current video cards?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea Quantums X-24 is a pretty big card. They ran really hot too. You really had to use good active cooling on it,or down clock it, or it would show artifacts and hang up alot. The Voodoo 5 is long also. These are basically cards you'd have to stick in mid to full size atx towers with really good air flow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not a problem today, but in the late 90's? My memory is a bit fuzzy about what extremes case cooling went to back then. I know the computer I had then & have now (when I found it) didn't thrill me with their cooling.

In fact, the HP I did find and fix up was in the smallest, pain in the ass, case I've ever seen a mini-ATX board in. There was no external fan, just whatever was on the tiny power supply. Granted, it was just a standard 500mhz cpu, but still...

It has a nicer case now, one that will allow mounting of fans. 90mm up front and a 120mm in back. Plenty of airflow.