Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63

Thread: Think I got my hands on a few Genesis protos

  1. #21
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Appleton, Maine
    Posts
    540
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin View Post
    This thread only confirms the fact that if I ever came across an unreleased proto, I would never ever tell another soul about it.
    Damn straight, seriously.

    Every one and anyone, regardless of the name calling of sharks back and forth, from anyone who might be interested, seems to think theyre the only ones whos the good guys. Your all sharks, regardless of who you point fingers at. Pointing fingers just shows you cant take the label.
    Last edited by gokugohandave; 03-11-2010 at 12:59 PM.

  2. #22
    Banned

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    220
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gokugohandave View Post
    Damn straight, seriously.

    Every one and anyone, regardless of the name calling of sharks back and forth, from anyone who might be interested, seems to think theyre the only ones whos the good guys. Your all sharks, regardless of who you point fingers at. Pointing fingers just shows you cant take the label.
    2nd this.
    getting harrased or getting a shit load of verbal diaria on top of you is not worth it.

  3. #23
    Apple (Level 5) hellfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Underwater
    Posts
    1,037
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    If you dont like a comment you can simply ignore it

  4. #24
    Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Gapporin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    4,444
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    Care to explain? I'm interested to hear why you would keep it a secret.
    Because of all the drama that goes along with having a proto. You have 3 or 4 different camps telling you what to do with it, and if you follow 1, you're damned by the other 2. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I realize that there's no sense in trying to please everyone, but it's a lot of unneeded bickering and useless griping over a single video game. Plus, the fact that everyone jumps on the owner like they smell blood in the water. I don't think I've heard a single person in any of these threads say, "It's your game, do what you like with it." I could be wrong. Also, don't think I'm singling anybody out, because I think the business as a whole is just absurd. It's crazy.

    OK, so I'll admit I was being a bit extreme when I said "never ever tell another soul". But I would certainly keep it under wraps, that's for sure.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

  5. #25
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    wow. I had no idea I would stir the pot like this.

    At any rate, here are some screen shots of the games. I did the best I could with my crappy camera, but it's all I have right now.

    Beanball Benny:

    http://bigh4th.250free.com/bean1.jpg
    http://bigh4th.250free.com/bean2.jpg
    http://bigh4th.250free.com/bean3.jpg
    http://bigh4th.250free.com/bean7.jpg
    http://bigh4th.250free.com/bean8.jpg

    SwampThing:

    http://bigh4th.250free.com/swamp1.jpg
    http://bigh4th.250free.com/swamp2.jpg
    http://bigh4th.250free.com/swamp3.jpg
    http://bigh4th.250free.com/swamp4.jpg

    Bimini Run:

    http://bigh4th.250free.com/bimini1.jpg
    http://bigh4th.250free.com/bimini3.jpg

    Bimini seems to just be a demo unit as aside from the copywright screen, it seems to be the same as the youtube videos of the release copy.

    -Harry

  6. #26
    ServBot (Level 11) badinsults's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Somewhere on planet Earth / #vbender
    Posts
    3,986
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Awesome, thanks for sharing the screenshots, they are great!
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

  7. #27
    Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,071
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Interesting that all 3 are NuVision games. Bean Ball Benny looks interesting...thanks for sharing the screenshots.



  8. #28
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    673
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Curious to hear what your thoughts are on Bean Ball Benny and Swamp thing. Thanks for the screenshots!

  9. #29
    Peach (Level 3) BeaglePuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    664
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Those screen shots are just what the doctor ordered. Thanks for sharing!

    I've read reports that BBB was never completed. Does it seem to be close to complete from what you've played so far?

  10. #30
    Pretzel (Level 4) jonebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    871
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Interesting grabs indeed. Regardless of whether you decided to keep or sell to another party, I'd recommend dumping the data to preserve history. I have no idea what they are worth, but the general rule is that unreleased and worth quite a bit more than released.

    Cool finds though!
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

  11. #31
    Strawberry (Level 2) Borman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    510
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Congrats on the awesome find! Even if you sell it off, try documenting it a bit for us anyway, any new info is good info.

  12. #32
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    csgx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    136
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Congratulations, awesome find! Thanks for posting pic.

    This goes to show that even on Ebay a spectacular deal can be had.

  13. #33
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    31
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Interesting Find indeed thanks for sharing the Screenshots.

  14. #34
    Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,071
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Borman View Post
    Congrats on the awesome find! Even if you sell it off, try documenting it a bit for us anyway, any new info is good info.
    I don't care about what anyone's opinion is on dumping prototypes (besides for backup purposes), but for the love of whatever you value most, please document the games for all to enjoy. A lot of work went into those games, so don't let that work fade into memory.



  15. #35
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Supergun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Nuvision Protos

    Just some quick comments if I may...

    The Bimini Run screenshot with the date on it is absolutely unique and therefore for sure means it will be at the very least slightly different then the released version within the rom file data. Of course, it may also be totally different gameplay wise and/or even incomplete.

    And in regards to Bean Ball Benny, yes this went unreleased but wasn't this game released on the Mega Drive in Japan? Can somebody confirm or deny this? Also I do have an old EGM magazine with some screenshots of the game in a coming soon / preview section.

    Regards.
    seventeen thousand, these guys must really be desperate!

  16. #36
    ServBot (Level 11)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,995
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Supergun View Post
    Just some quick comments if I may...

    The Bimini Run screenshot with the date on it is absolutely unique and therefore for sure means it will be at the very least slightly different then the released version within the rom file data. Of course, it may also be totally different gameplay wise and/or even incomplete.

    And in regards to Bean Ball Benny, yes this went unreleased but wasn't this game released on the Mega Drive in Japan? Can somebody confirm or deny this? Also I do have an old EGM magazine with some screenshots of the game in a coming soon / preview section.

    Regards.
    If it did come out in Japan it wasn't as Bean Ball Benny. There's 900+ Mega Drive games in Japan, so unless it had some name change. I think NuVision was the one releasing this game in the US

  17. #37
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Supergun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Crazy Taxi?

    Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    If it did come out in Japan it wasn't as Bean Ball Benny. There's 900+ Mega Drive games in Japan, so unless it had some name change. I think NuVision was the one releasing this game in the US
    Yes, your right it was under a different name.
    I think it was released on the Mega Drive, within the first year or two of the systems lifespan (1988-1990) and it was called "something taxi" (my mind confuses me and is thinking crazy taxi but of course that's not the name it was given) As soon as I return home (out of town at the time being I can tell you what the working title was.

    Also 900+ does sound like a lot, but it's only 200 more then 700+ (our number here in the states) but I am still uncertain as to weather or not it saw release in Japan. Funny thing is, this game was actually on my want list when I first got the genny because I was really impressed with the graphics and found the plot / game idea to be original and interesting. I kept checking the store shelves over and over but of course it never showed up.
    seventeen thousand, these guys must really be desperate!

  18. #38
    Peach (Level 3) BeaglePuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    664
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I've been poking around a bit, and I haven't found anything that leads me to believe this was released for MD. Are you sure you're not mistaken it for another title? From what I've read the game was scrapped for financial reasons (As was Swamp Thing).

    The only scenario that can think of would be similar to Time Diver Eon Man, where the code somehow leaked and found it's way onto a pirate cart. I'm still thinking this game went completely unreleased.

    I'm still curious to find out if either of the unreleased titles are complete. From what I can find on BBB, the game was rumored to be incomplete during the time it was canceled. Part of me is holding out hope that this copy is complete. I have no idea how far along ST was rumored to be, but I read a fantastic article discussing how epically bad the game was (which makes me want to play it that much more!!!). I mean, it couldn't be worse than the THQ NES counterpart, right?

    Article regarding Swamp Thing:
    http://www.gooddealgames.com/articles/Swamp_Thing.html

  19. #39
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    2,802
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Wow, I'm so glad to see these still exist. I've had a minor obsession with Bean Ball Benny ever since I came across a trade show flyer for it on eBay, it's just so damned weird that I couldn't help but fall in love with the concept. Thanks a ton for the screenshots, I'd love to see these in action though. Do you have a way to record video, or are you considering going to the Classic Gaming Expo in Vegas this summer? Or heck, are you anywhere near San Francisco? Maybe we can have a get-together and play these.

    Sorry that you accidentally stirred up a bunch of forums drama, my advice to you as someone who has been dealing with this stuff for about a decade (and stirred up a lot of this drama myself!) is to just ignore it all for a couple months to let things cool down before deciding what you want to do.

    Either way, again, it's great news knowing these are still around. I've always wanted to know more about these NuVision games, and even if all I've got are these new screenshots, it's more than I had before.

  20. #40
    Peach (Level 3) BeaglePuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    664
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye View Post
    Wow, I'm so glad to see these still exist. I've had a minor obsession with Bean Ball Benny ever since I came across a trade show flyer for it on eBay, it's just so damned weird that I couldn't help but fall in love with the concept. Thanks a ton for the screenshots, I'd love to see these in action though. Do you have a way to record video, or are you considering going to the Classic Gaming Expo in Vegas this summer? Or heck, are you anywhere near San Francisco? Maybe we can have a get-together and play these.

    Sorry that you accidentally stirred up a bunch of forums drama, my advice to you as someone who has been dealing with this stuff for about a decade (and stirred up a lot of this drama myself!) is to just ignore it all for a couple months to let things cool down before deciding what you want to do.

    Either way, again, it's great news knowing these are still around. I've always wanted to know more about these NuVision games, and even if all I've got are these new screenshots, it's more than I had before.
    Well said my good man. I will say that expect most, if not all of the drama to be done with now that Mr. Obscure has taken a permanent vacation (Thank you mods!). I think the focus will be redirected at how cool of a find this is. How often are two highly publicized unreleased prototypes found, let alone found together? This is the stuff I live for, and I'm not even a big Genesis guy.

    Frank, have you ever seen either of these titles in action (maybe at old trade shows)? I'm wondering if anyone remembers seeing these two in action at CES back in the day. The only information I've been able to find pretty much all came from some old post of yours. Were there any other NuVision games in development, or are these the final two?

Similar Threads

  1. FS/FO: Massive Lot of CD-i Protos, NES Protos, SNES protos, More!
    By mrmark0673 in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-27-2011, 11:03 AM
  2. FS: Some Sega Genesis Protos
    By GKnight in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 03:48 PM
  3. Yobo FC3 NES/SNES/Genesis hands-on mini review (for now)
    By Frankie_Says_Relax in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 01:36 AM
  4. WANTED!!!! Road Rash Genesis protos
    By man_traic in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2007, 04:07 PM
  5. FS: A few sega genesis protos
    By leon_belmont in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2003, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •