Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has vintage game collecting reached a peak?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Has vintage game collecting reached a peak?

Google 4 Gaga
    Last edited by UnpluggedClone; 05-28-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by UnpluggedClone View Post
    1. Youtube. People like AVGN and Irate Game popularizing vintage games and youtube in general where you have a medium to show of your game collection a lot easier then before. All that has driven vintage game sells up people see it more people want it more.

2. Age. All the kids that grew up with the NES are now in there late 20's to early 30's. They have kids and money and want to relive there nostalgic past.

Has vintage games reached a peak? Will it continue to go up? Will it Go Down?
    Curious on what people think about the retro revolution.

I agree with the first two in particular. A lot of us were born in that 1978-1985 range... and now we're getting to be 25-33 years old... have the disposable income to "reclaim our childhood" that we simply couldn't 15, 20 years ago. There is a certain appeal about having the ability to own games you could not back in the day.

Youtube definitely exploded in 2006 and through to today. It seems everyone is a vlogging (or whatever it is called) reviewer on youtube. This of course increases exposure to our hobby.

I think it will remain the same as it is now, maybe pick up some, maybe drop some, but probably will be like this for another 2-3 years. After that, it's anyone's guess. What happens in 2015 when all the late '70s early '80s people bought all they want of 8 and 16 bit games? Will demand still be high and supply high, or low? Who knows. I won't rack my brains trying to figure out the landscape. I just know I'm glad to be out of the rat race!

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really don't see PS2 kids buying Mega Drive games...
    I mean, when they're 25-30 as stated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I really don't see PS2 kids buying Mega Drive games...
    I mean, when they're 25-30 as stated.

I concur. It'll be interesting to see how 8 and 16 bit games are priced in 2015, 2020...

I think a lot of it has to do with nostalgia. Buying what you were familiar with during your childhood. Of course there will always be people buying old games and systems that came out BEFORE they were born, but the majority IMHO are those looking to reclaim their childhood. It's hard for me to see kids born in say, 1997, collecting NES games in the year 2020 when they're 23.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

alot of it also has to do with the "retro boom"

all the NES mario shirts/bracelets and crap for sale at the mall.

n00blit kids going OMG RETRO MARIO!112233, and suddenly getting into NES and crap and going apeshit, and buying up all the stuff they can
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've noticed this 'explosion' in everything retro and I've occasionally touched on it in some of my other posts. But, I don't think that it's just 8 and 16-bit stuff that people are salivating over, but also 32-bit stuff. Like the OP said, barely 5-6 years ago, I was able to walk into a used gaming store (even Gamestop) and have my pick of pretty much whatever I wanted and get it for dirt cheap. I once saw Bubble Bobble 2 (NES) for only $15, for crying out loud! I've snatched up plenty of CIB 8, 16 and 32-bit games for very little in the past; not because I had planned on ever selling them, but because I actually wanted to play them (imagine that!). I had missed out on a lot of these games in my youth simply because I couldn't afford them and now that I could, I wanted to see what I was missing.

But nowadays, forget about walking in and finding anything good in any of those stores, and if you do, expect to pay big-time. Everyone thinks that they have 'teh rarez' when it comes these old games and anything that is even remotely hard-to-find is always behind the glass case with a ridiculous price-tag attached to it. Why is it like this? Nostalgia + ebay (and other online auction/sale sites) and a certain lack of knowledge for some people have ruined it for the rest of us who actually pursue a certain title for the sake of playing it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually I think the "boom" is kinda of over. Two years ago or so a lot of "common" games were pulling in much more than they are now. Part of that, I'm sure, is that so many of these games are now available for download. The casual people aren't collecting anymore, just downloading stuff on their Wii/PS3/360/PSPGo/whatever. Donkey Kong Country series, FF7, etc etc... They just don't sell for what they used to. Granted that's made the price of certain games shoot up (ones that'll never get released as downloads *cough*earthbound*cough*), but beyond a handful of titles, prices are down across the board.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    Actually I think the "boom" is kinda of over. Two years ago or so a lot of "common" games were pulling in much more than they are now. Part of that, I'm sure, is that so many of these games are now available for download. The casual people aren't collecting anymore, just downloading stuff on their Wii/PS3/360/PSPGo/whatever. Donkey Kong Country series, FF7, etc etc... They just don't sell for what they used to. Granted that's made the price of certain games shoot up (ones that'll never get released as downloads *cough*earthbound*cough*), but beyond a handful of titles, prices are down across the board.
    There's definitely a lot of truth in what you say. Even though I prefer a physical copy of a game, I've done my fair share of downloading/emulation. But, I'll add that even though the games might not sell like they used to, they still sell for as much as they used to, and that's where my issue lies with the whole 'retro craze' thing.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Five to ten years ago the 2600 was 'THE' system. Now the next wave of people (those who grew up on the NES) are coming into their own and have the disposable income to buy stuff (like the 2600 people did before that). Currently 2600 stuff is in the dumpers and NES is king. In a few years it'll be SNES and after that N64/PlayStation. The scene is driven by those reliving their younger days.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Five to ten years ago the 2600 was 'THE' system. Now the next wave of people (those who grew up on the NES) are coming into their own and have the disposable income to buy stuff (like the 2600 people did before that). Currently 2600 stuff is in the dumpers and NES is king. In a few years it'll be SNES and after that N64/PlayStation. The scene is driven by those reliving their younger days.
    Definitely have to agree. I think, of this generation, the guys my age who are collecting are doing it to almost "re-claim" something from their youth; I personally got started because of my NES, it was the gateway for me into this hobby in the first place. My nephew, however, was born in 1997, and always had a Playstation controller in this hand (except when I let him play some TMNT on MY NES), so if anything I can see him trying to find some of those games and explore that library.

As I've come to understand it, this hobby is more about discovering one's own history instead of just playing all of the classics... though we do that too, to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

There is so much truth in this statement. I guess I'm in the minority, as I've been collecting video games since I was 8 years old. I was fortunate enough to have a Dad that loved games as much as I did. I'll never forget asking him about Atari 2600 (we didn't own one) and he would tell me all of these stories about it. Together we assembled a huge collection, spanning many consoles. But it's weird to think that I was collecting Atari games as a child when SNES and Genesis were current... but now THOSE games are the collected ones. It's true that Atari, Itellivision, Colecovision etc. are not nearly as sought after as they once were in the 90's / early '00's.

I wonder what the scene of collecting video games will look like 20 years from now. Atari would be like collecting antiques I'm sure. Reminds me on the NES Back To The Future game in the store window in the film Back To The Future Part 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

QFT. There is no overall peak or fall. The popularity is more era based. The first place I saw was in arcade related hardware collecting, although I haven't really gotten back into it since 2k5. I remember when CPS-1 SF2 boards were being used as doorstops, while the Pac-Man/Galaga era stuff was in high demand. There were just so many JAMMA boards laying around in warehouses being treated like shit. At one point anything JAMMA was just being frowned on big time and regarded as cheap crap by collectors. Good thing I got my SF2 boards then, because now they're much more desirable. Last time I checked, the older stuff isn't as desirable anymore (doesn't stop people from trying to price it like it is though).

I imagine eventually we'll hit a time where those going into their 20's don't even know wtf an arcade machine is outside of DDR. Then all of the stuff I care about will be cheap again.
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

No, we're not at peak yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Not a peak, not even close. Collecting video games of yesteryear will always be there in demand. Retro Video Games is a moving target. As many others have said, the demand will move with the times.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

/thread

Collecting comes in generations and platforms. You can't just lump it all together and say "Vintage game collecting has peaked."
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yes. Wait...no. Wait....yes.

Or you could be like me. I tried to get out but I couldn't take it, so I came back! About 3 years ago I had a huge collection with hundreds of games--Atari 7800, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, PS1, Dreamcast, Game Boy, and GBA. I needed to buy a new computer and a new TV, and since I already had a Wii and PS3, I decided to just sell my classic collection off to raise money to buy my new equipment and just rely on the Virtual Console and PSN. I sold everything except for a few consoles (NES toploader, SNES, N64) and a handful of my favorite games that are not available for download (Tecmo Super Bowl, NBA Jam, Goldeneye, etc.). Well, a few years passed, the Wii migrated down to the living room where the girlfriend and kid are glued to it, and I started getting the itch to have some of my old classic games back. So, I broke down and bought some of them back! This time I'm just sticking with the old Nintendo consoles and not going bonkers like I did before. Most of the games I have now are ones I actually owned and played as a kid (not just collecting random games like I did before). My collection is much more focused now, and is filled with games that have sentimental value to me (that I'll actually play!)
    Last edited by snester; 03-13-2010 at 09:55 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nostalgia + eBay really sums it up. Just like everyone is talking about above, I was born in the early 80s ('82) and now I have all the disposable income I need to get the stuff I missed out on the first time through. It's not really nostalgia for the old games I used to play, though (I never sold my games, so I still have all my childhood games). It's nostalgia for what I didn't have as a kid. I remember going through game magazines and wishing I could get all sorts of different games and platforms, and now I can.
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think your leaving out globalization and the increasing and spreading of wealth amongst the world. Yes, much can be region specific. But while demand can decrease in one segment, it may also spread to others. Global economy and demand is now another factor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup.
    6 months.
    Time for this topic to surface again.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope vintage collecting goes down the tubes. Maybe it'll be cheaper to get the games I want.