Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Sega Master System?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Buying Sega Master System?

I'm thinking about buying a Master System but I need to consider a few things as my budget isn't the best and my mom will kill me for buying yet another system (I already have NES, SNES, Gamecube, PS2, DS at age 14 :x) just because I gotta "buy more games/cartridges for it + damn addons". Is the Master System a fairly cheap console to afford, including a bit of its game library? What major games should I get for it first (WonderBoy and Alex Kidd are all I can think of for now) if I buy it? Is it difficult to obtain complete copies or like the NES will you have to hunt hard for the boxes and manuals? Thanks!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ooops, stupid me this is the modern section isn't it? Sorry mods for creating extra work for you (moving this to classic gaming)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

It is pretty inexpensive to collect for, relatively speaking. Also, you have a much better chance of getting complete copies since they came in hard cases like the Genesis. Most games worth playing really aren't very expensive at all, around $10 or so. Golden Axe Warrior being one exception, as it is considered one of the best on the system (a Zelda-style game) and it runs more in the 30-40 range last time I checked.

If you keep your eyes out on Craigslist you should be able to find one with some games for 30 or so. The come along a lot less often than NES/SNES/Genesis systems, though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    It is pretty inexpensive to collect for, relatively speaking. Also, you have a much better chance of getting complete copies since they came in hard cases like the Genesis. Most games worth playing really aren't very expensive at all, around $10 or so. Golden Axe Warrior being one exception, as it is considered one of the best on the system (a Zelda-style game) and it runs more in the 30-40 range last time I checked.

If you keep your eyes out on Craigslist you should be able to find one with some games for 30 or so. The come along a lot less often than NES/SNES/Genesis systems, though.
    Thanks, although I'm not sure I'll be doing Craigslist because I have no money in the common paper form. I'm going to be trading in games at a store, and they do have a SMS from what I recall but I am not sure how much it'll cost and if it comes bundeled with games or not. The SMS II however comes built in with Alex Kidd, yes?

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Some of the original model 1 SMS sytems have a game built in as well, mine has Hang On & Safari Hunt, but yeah if I'm remembering correctly the SMS 2 has Alex Kidd.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

blankblankblankblankblankblankblank
    Last edited by Blur2040; 12-30-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    Death to Bill and Ted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blur2040 View Post
    OK,

Master System is a hoot and all...but why go for that when you can get a Genesis where you'll find cheaper and more plentiful hardware, cheaper and more plentiful games, and the ability to play SMS games with a Power Base converter.

Genesis may not be obscure or anything, but it's a much better place to start. Better software too, in my opinion. Seriously. It's hard to collect video games and not own a Genesis. I'm tripping over the damn things.
    I agree with this. I don't own a Master System, so I cannot attest to its greatness. But I can tell you, I hardly ever see SMS games in the wild (though when I do, they are often in their hard box/case). There's so many great Genesis games, and so cheap, and so readily available.

Genny + 6-pak, go for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Master System, but it's away in storage because the Power Base Converter works just as well.

But as has been said already, if you're looking for a fairly cheap console with fairly cheap games that are easily obtained complete, you're really better off with a Genesis anyway. Genesis has a larger library, better games (arguable, but I think most would agree), and games and systems are more plentiful. That and PSX are the two best systems for cheap, complete games.

However, if you just really crave another 8-bit system, SMS is a good choice, as the vast majority of the library is reasonably priced, and it's pretty easy to find games complete. However, you'll have fewer sources of games, and you might find yourself buying games from Europe, which is a trade-off because they're generally very cheap, but shipping can be a bit high.
    Last edited by j_factor; 03-17-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Get both . If you start with a Genesis, you can always go back and get the converter and play master system games. Also, there is the Sega CD and Sega 32X which are add-ons to the Genesis that are unique in their own right and fun to collect.

I agree that the Genesis is the way to go
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

If you go the Genesis + Power Base Converter route, be sure to own at least one Master System control pad since there are a couple games that will not work without an SMS controller connected. Wonder Boy in Monster Land comes to mind as one of them.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blur2040 View Post
    Master System is a hoot and all...but why go for that when you can get a Genesis where you'll find cheaper and more plentiful hardware, cheaper and more plentiful games, and the ability to play SMS games with a Power Base converter.
    I've heard that some SMS games can't save properly when played on a Genesis with a Power Base Converter, is this true? It's pretty much the only reason why I'm holding onto an actual SMS system, I haven't really found too many games for it that I really want, I just want to get Phantasy Star and Golden Axe Warrior at some point.

I agree that the Genesis is a better system to get overall as the games are way easier to find and I find most of them much better to play too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

The SMS is a vastly underrated system, and the feedback in this thread proves it! I don't think you need an SMS though, a PBC with a Genesis is a better investment, but don't doubt that there are a ton of great games on the system. Buy a few lots, the ratio of good games to bad is probably one of the best compared to any other system.

Phantasy Star and Golden Axe Warrior are obvious quality picks, but here are other must haves:

Golvellius: Valley of Doom
    Kenseiden
    Wonder Boy games
    Alex Kidd games
    Fantasy Zone games
    Enduro Racer
    Power Strike
    Cloud Master
    Sonic the Hedgehog (completely different than the Genesis game - I like the levels better on SMS)
    The Ninja
    Penguin Land
    Zillion
    Ys: The Vanished Omens
    SpellCaster
    Lord of the Sword
    Astro Warrior
    Thunder Blade (a much better port than the Genesis version)

And that's US only, if you look into Europe or Brazil, there are many more great games out there (like Master of Darkness, Virtua Fighter Animation, etc.)

Good luck!
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will say that the MS light gun is far, far better than the Zapper. Not as cheap and flimsy.

I'm not above a bit of self promotion, but I am currently trying to sell/trade a Power Base Converter lot, which includes a Phaser.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked mine up on Craiglist, Came with two controllers and nine games for $50. Keep a eye out on there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To be "really serious" about your SMS games you really ought to go the Japanese Master System route. Looks like a US SMS...probably smells like one too - same Tonka style box - but you get FM music in a few games. Not really more expensive than the Mark III + FM unit addon I bet, and easier to deal with overall. I've had a Power Base Converter for years, never bothered with it though.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    ...Golden Axe Warrior being one exception, as it is considered one of the best on the system (a Zelda-style game) and it runs more in the 30-40 range last time I checked...

I just picked this up a couple weeks ago. I had no idea it was worth more than a couple bucks. I must confess I haven't had time to try it yet, either. Zelda-style you say? I'll have to check this out soon. Thanks!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    daddypushi

no one says anything about shinobi, that is the only reason I got one (actually I have 2 systems, one with hang on and safari hunt and the other with sonic built in) and games are pretty expensive here in Vancouver I think is a must have here!

I agree with everyone here start on the Genesis side cause most of us are driven by nostalgia more than anything else if you are 14 probably you will be disappointed with the system, remember no memory cards, most didn't have a save option, that means you are ps1 to ps2 generation when you started playing, and I know how hard it is to buy games at your age, also don't get rid of your games to get others if you are serious on collecting, I lost many gems that way when I was on your situation and now I regret it!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Google 4 Gaga
    Last edited by UnpluggedClone; 05-28-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    To be "really serious" about your SMS games you really ought to go the Japanese Master System route. Looks like a US SMS...probably smells like one too - same Tonka style box - but you get FM music in a few games. Not really more expensive than the Mark III + FM unit addon I bet, and easier to deal with overall. I've had a Power Base Converter for years, never bothered with it though.
    cause 14 year olds trading stuff in at a local shop have access to import systems and all.

Anyway, OP: Get a genesis. Much better investment in the end. Power base converter = play SMS games, get a Sega CD later....there is almost no reason to get a SMS unless you want the unit itself for its appearance. That was why I got one. I like the pyramid-like shape, and the overall design of the console.

Anyway, with a genesis + pbc youll be set. Then you can get a 32X also! and have a giant mess of Sega going on. all on the cheapcheap.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sold my SMS system once I bought the Genesis and the Power Base Converter, as I did not see the point of having two separate systems for my TV, which at the time only had one A/V input. I kept all of my SMS games and they are all playable on it (I did not own F-16 Falcon, the only game not to work on PBC). I have also kept the 3D glasses, Light Phaser, Control Stick and 2 Control Pads for the games that require SMS controllers to play properly.