Thread: Continental Circuit (Taito)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Default Continental Circuit (Taito)

Hey guys, my brother recently picked up a Taito Continental Circuit cockpit machine. The steering works "intermittently," and sometimes not at all. I am assuming the optical encoder is to blame. Also my research shows that there was a 3d goggle type assembly, which may still be in the machine, we will have to check. Anyone have more info or a pdf of the ops/service manual/parts list? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

PS: We will be at Midwest Gaming Classic, so if anyone has a physical copy of the manual we can pick it up from you then.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Yes, there were goggles in the cockpit models. They hung from the celing of the cab. If they were still there, they would definitely be visible.

Most operators took them out, over time, because they were quite problematic, or were broken easily. When most operators took them out, they installed a metal (or plastic) plate where they normally hung down. More lazy operators just took out the goggles but left a mess of the flexible, metal wire holders hanging down.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 03-22-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Yipe..I had hoped that the goggles might have been stuffed underneath the board which is screwed into the ceiling of the cabinet. Do you know how they worked? I haven't seen the game yet but I'm picturing a stereoscopic setup, either with colors or polarizing. Also I'm picturing these as being nearly impossible to find. Oh well, the search begins.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

They were the polarized shutter type, like on Subroc 3-D. They hung down from the celing from what looked like a flexible microphone - a think, flexible wire holder than bended so the user could adjust the glasses comfortably. Vandals sometimes just ripped them out. Similar to the Nintendo light gun cables that were attached to the cab, but a bit thicker.

I've seen some CC cabs over the years. The last time I saw one with a working set of 3-D 'viewers' was probably the late 80's.

The good news is, at least the game has a 2-D option through the dipswitches. The bad news - if you really want the 3-D - those goggles, namely a good working pair, are gonna be tough to find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Thanks for the info. Google was not much help..I couldn't even find pictures of the cabinet with the glasses intact!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Try the BYOAC or KLOV forums... Obscure parts usually pop up on there, from time to time.

It seems like a long shot, but with some luck, you could possibly score one there.