Thread: A Little Help Please

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A Little Help Please

Sorry for the noob question, but I figured someone on this site would be able to give me the information I am looking for.

I'm just getting back into classic gaming, but I'm not sure how to connect all these old systems (you know, the switch box with the 2 wires hanging off it) to a brand new HDTV with s-video, RCA, and component inputs.

I remember the old adaptor that you can screw into those that lets you plug it into a coaxial input, but ideally I would like to find a way to connect multiple "old-school" systems up to one switch box or something so I could have all my gaming on one TV.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Cheers, and thanks in advance for the help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

You can go to Radio Shack...(yuck) and pick up one of those "old" boxes which you are talking about, but the new ones have a coaxial cable also. Or elso I Think? they ahave a female F adapter that also has a coaxial end to it.

hope that helps and If I rememer correctly they are like $7 for the switchbox and $1.50 for the adapter.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the help...this is how most people do it correct? I'd hate to spend money at the Shack (bleh!) and then discover there is some convertor. :P

Anyway, thanks again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The female F adapter with the coax on the end is the best way to run an rf system to your cable input, but if you only have one cable input on your TV then go with a switchbox so you can still have your cable TV connected. My TV have 3 ANT (Coax) inputs, so I have no problems. One for the cable, and two extra for two rf-coax game systems. That F adapter to coax should run you a little over $3 at RS, and a switchbox should be about $8.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i use the above described radio shack method, then i also have all my modern systems on the same TV thru another complex web of switchers. i'd like to say its a perfect system but i'm always swapping something or testing something. on a good day 10 out of 20 systems go at the push of a button.

if you really want to avoid the shack you can daisy chain the old style TV/GAME switches by running the next console out put into the antenna input of the first box and so on. you can go up to 6 systems before signal weakness becomes a big issue.