Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is getting a game compilation of games you already own redundant or stupid?

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is getting a game compilation of games you already own redundant or stupid?

Like I just bought Super Mario All-Stars / World when I already own Super Mario All-Stars and Super Mario World. I apologize if there is already a similar thread
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

If it contains games that you don't have, or if it has enhanced versions? Nah.

In your case, though... yeah, redudnant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Not stupid at all. You now have the added bonus of not having to change out carts to play the other game/games. Talk about redundant, I own all those games, the different cart shape version on smw, and the super famicom versions of super mario world, and all-stars. I basically bought the japan version of world because it says super mario bros. 4 on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Unhappy

It's...risky. I'm going to just cop out and quote a portion of the last article I wrote for the DP Zine called "Wii Ennui", which dealt with some of the reasons people lose interest in gaming:

For the gamer, the simple question of “What game shall I play next?” may become rather daunting when one confronts oneself with hundreds, or potentially thousands, of choices in one’s collection. It can lead to a conundrum commonly referred to as “analysis paralysis”, wherein the excessive bevy of choices before the gamer prevents her from making any choice at all. At this point the collection is possibly less enjoyable than it might be if only she could find something to play.

I can hear some of you now: “Oh but you can never have too many games!” Maybe, but do you really need a copy of Atari Anthology for Windows and Xbox and PS2 on top of the original Atari 2600 cartridges you already have? Which one will you play? Perhaps paring down some of those duplicate numbers might save you from the overload of analysis paralysis.
    Last edited by Pantechnicon; 03-18-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Sometimes it's redundant, other times its more convenient. For the most part that's why multicarts are popular, I found it more convenient to take one for my Gameboy Color rather than a bag full of loose cartridges. I wasn't really into the hacks that were on some of them.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    It's...risky. I'm going to just cop out and quote a portion of the last article I wrote for the DP Zine called "Wii Ennui", which dealt with some of the reasons people lose interest in gaming:

For the gamer, the simple question of “What game shall I play next?” may become rather daunting when one confronts oneself with hundreds, or potentially thousands, of choices in one’s collection. It can lead to a conundrum commonly referred to as “analysis paralysis”, wherein the excessive bevy of choices before the gamer prevents her from making any choice at all. At this point the collection is possibly less enjoyable than it might be if only she could find something to play.

I can hear some of you now: “Oh but you can never have too many games!” Maybe, but do you really need a copy of Atari Anthology for Windows and Xbox and PS2 on top of the original Atari 2600 cartridges you already have? Which one will you play? Perhaps paring down some of those duplicate numbers might save you from the overload of analysis paralysis.
    I don't get overloaded. Usually when I decide to spend a day playing games, I decide on one system to play that day, usually that choice is pretty easy, because of the type of games one system offers compared to another system. Then, from there, I just decide on what game to play first, knowing i'll get to other games that day on the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Are you a game collector and fan? Regardless of what other people think, collect and play what you enjoy. If you really like the game and enjoy owning them then owning 2 is just the game fan/collector in you.

*star shoots across the screen* The more you know
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I think that buying compilations in this generation makes a lot of sense even if you own old carts because of resolution upscaling. I've got a signal converter that does a decent job of cleaning up the signal on my hdtv for older consoles with only composite output, but streets of rage 2, etc. Still looks better on my genesis collection for the 360 than it does on the original console with upscaler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sometimes its fun to see how things turned out if you like the source material, like buying Activision Anthology for the PS2 to see how well it ended up in regards to emulation and extras despite having a complete Activision collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In a way it can be but then you have multiple ways to play the same game so you may not have to waste time setting up a system or if a copy fails you have a back up.

For instance, I own Sonic the Hedgehog 5 times over, and it will be 6 when I eventually buy Sonic Classic Collection (DS). It's convenient above all else.

This analysis paralysis notion is interesting, I often find myself debating what game to play and this can sometimes go on for half an hour, wasting time essentially doing nothing. I know I have games I'd have put more time into if I didn't own so many.

Then again, the uni lifestyle doesn't lend itself to playing single-player games for hours on end.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well Super Mario World on Allstars has different Luigi sprites. So I say it is worth it :P.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its fucking tarded dats wat.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not into buying game compilations for games I already own on consoles...but I definitely am on portable systems, so I can take the games on the go. Sega Genesis Collection for PSP is a good example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    For instance, I own Sonic the Hedgehog 5 times over, and it will be 6 when I eventually buy Sonic Classic Collection (DS). It's convenient above all else.
    There's a new collection coming out for the DS? I haven't even heard about that one, I'll have to look into it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    There's a new collection coming out for the DS? I haven't even heard about that one, I'll have to look into it.
    It just came out (and it snuck up on me too - I didn't even know about it until I saw a copy at a local game store). It features Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice to see Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles getting a portable release. Had a lot of fun playing through Sonic 1 and 2 on Sega Genesis Collection for the PSP a few years ago.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Compilations are cool, for the most part. Same reason why I like flash carts. It makes things easier for you to play all those old games that you may not have the money or the space for at the time.

- SNK Arcade Classics, for the Wii, is an awesome example. This game has 15 or so Neo Geo games on it.
    - Neo Geo carts are expensive as hell
    - Neo Geo consoles are expensive as hell
    - Neo Geo arcade cabinets are also incredibly expensive (For the most part)
    - Who has the time and money to track down each and every one of those games in their original, unaltered forms?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    It just came out (and it snuck up on me too - I didn't even know about it until I saw a copy at a local game store). It features Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles.
    I might wait until I find it really cheap, I thought it would have included far more games than that.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I myself think that some compliations are good, but if you have all the games on the compliation, then they're not really worth getting. For example, it's one thing to have Super Mario Bros + Super Mario All-Stars when you have SMB 1, 2, 3, on NES and World on SNES, and it's another thing to get SMB/DH/WCTM on NES when you have SMB/DH, and World Class Track Meet already.

Really, I think if there's even one game that you don't have on the compliation, or there's some bonus or something, or you're really trying to consolidate, that's fine. For collecting purposes though, I find it to be as pointless as trying to collect variants.

In your case Urzu, SMB World + All-Stars is actually worth a little bit more than SMW and SMB All Stars alone since it was a pack-in only game and has one extra save slot for Super Mario World.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sixwayshot View Post
    - Neo Geo carts are expensive as hell

- Neo Geo arcade cabinets are also incredibly expensive (For the most part)
    - Who has the time and money to track down each and every one of those games in their original, unaltered forms?
    Ok i'll say wtf carts expensive !? yes on the aes it is but the mvs it isn't alot of games for it's arcade counter part can be had dirt cheap.

As for arcade cabinets it depends where you look such as auctions and arcade ops.Also you don't even need a cabinet to play it at home the mvs can be,consolized or run through a supergun for home use.