Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is getting a game compilation of games you already own redundant or stupid?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It might be redundant for some but I have so many multiple versions of titles due to compilations that I've lost count. I don't mind having more than one version though, especially if I like the game. I also think that compilations are a good thing for gaming.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a compilation whore, so I'm just going to DQ my opinion on the matter as confirmation bias.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's another SNES cart to collect. From a practicality standpoint, I don't think it's worth it, but if you want to own it for whatever reason, knock yourself out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I might wait until I find it really cheap, I thought it would have included far more games than that.
    The $29.99 MSRP is a little much for me too - I'm going to hold out until I see it for $20 or less.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm actually on the fence about compilations. I played the hell out of the Sega comp on the Dreamcast, but barely touched the PS2 one beyond unlocking stuff on it (and discovering a few games that I ended up really liking and wanting the actual carts of, like Ristar). I traded for the 360 one but ended up just trading it away later on, even tho it has games on it I don't own. (Mostly b/c I don't play the 360 that much.) Part of it is that I hate unlockables and part of it is I'm a collector and would rather have and play the actual games on the actual hardware (or emulate it on the PSP... or take my Game Gear w/ a Master Converter around w/ me). But really I think a big part is just that I don't usually see a good reason for the compilation to even exist (or rather for it to exist in my collection) since the games are either easily obtainable or not games I'd care about playing, or both. The ONLY game I actually needed on the 360 Sega comp was Golden Axe Warrior and I plan to buy it for my collection eventually. I'd have liked to see the interviews and stuff, but not to the point of wanting to unlock them (or even bothering to dust off and hook back up my 360). I'll probably end up getting the comp again, but I think at this point I feel pretty meh about comps in general (and I don't care for most fighting/shmup games so some of the more "necessary" comps don't really matter to me at all).

But redunant? I own the Japanese release of certain games just for the artwork.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    But redunant? I own the Japanese release of certain games just for the artwork.
    This. I own several games in their Japanese format (despite owning the english counterpart) just because they are some of my favourite games and the box/artwork looks awesome. Thankfully I haven't paid any huge amount of money for them.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Redundant? Nah, not in the slightest. I love owning the original titles and the compilations both. Each has its own advantages.

-Getting the original allows you to play the game in its most basic, purest form. It gives you a nice sense of owning a piece of gaming history. Plus, most of the time, playing the games on their original console just feels righter.

-Getting a compilation allows you to play games in an alternate mode, such as using savestates or touched up graphics. Many also include unlockables and bonus material, such as developer interviews, concept art, and trailers.

As a fellow collector, I'd say it's hardly redundant.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have the money to burn, no.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    This. I own several games in their Japanese format (despite owning the english counterpart) just because they are some of my favourite games and the box/artwork looks awesome. Thankfully I haven't paid any huge amount of money for them.
    I also own the US and Japanese versions of many games, mainly because the Japanese versions gave me an excuse to play back thru my favorite games again. Now if I could only get a Halo compilation with 1-3, ODST and Halo Wars on it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It depends on the compilation in question. I kind of have OCD about this. I will not ever buy a compilation of games I already own and/or can easily obtain (unless it has some impressive extras). I strongly prefer to own the games separately when possible, and I prefer to avoid duplication when reasonable. In general I only buy compilations of arcade games, and only if they contain (at least some) games that never had an accurate home port. When they mix the two, I have a dilemma. I reluctantly bought Sonic Gems Collection, and I just pretend it's a Gamecube version of Sonic the Fighters and the rest of the compilation isn't there. If they had made Sonic the Fighters by itself for any system, I would've bought that instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm actually downsizing my compilations, usually due to the fact of owning the physical copies of alot of those games. I'm dumping arcade compilations because I'd rather download them for play on MAME instead (which offers far more customizing options than you would ever find on console arcade compilations).

But yeah, back in the day, I had compilations plus the games and didn't think twice about it. I even had different compilations with the same games on them (Sega Smash Pack on the DC and Sonic Collection + on the Xbox, etc.) just for the hell of it. Now my tastes have changed, so I'm not really into comps anymore.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One other thing to think about is some comps are just absolutely butchered. Mega Man Anniversary Collection, for instance. As if the Mega Man series wasn't head-smashingly difficult to begin with, the comp screws up the controls royally.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah. Usually getting a compilation offers something over the original, so it is usually worth it (compilations are rarely full price).

As for your case, well... I have to own SMB/DH because that's the cart I had as a kid. I also needed SMB/DH/Track because I picked up a Power Pad. I own a lonely Duck Hunt, because...I'm not sure...I just acquired it somehow (probably in a lot). I'd nab a standalone SMB in a heartbeat (for the right price ~$1), just to have it.

Plus, if you're into boxes (which I'm not) you'd need a standalone SMW and a standalone Allstars, just to have boxes. I'm guessing they didn't have boxes for the combo, as they didn't have boxes for SMB/DH and SMB/DH/Track.

It just wouldn't look right on the shelf w/o them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have spent the last couple years purging unwanted duplicates, redundant compilations/individual titles and just generally games I am never going to play.

So in my opinion, it IS redundant - it's up to inviduals to decide if that's stupid or not.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't find it stupid at all; I purchase compilations all the time of games that I already own. I don't think that I've purchased (m)any compilations where I owned every single game on the disc, but even if I did, it's worth it to me to have them displayed in a better resolution.

There aren't very many compilations put out, and the ones that are are usually pretty cheap, and offer extras and superior visuals (if you're gaming on an HDTV), so it's nothing for me to pick them up. I purchase compilations of arcade games that I have emulated as well, too, for the same reasons. I enjoy MAME as much as the next guy, but I'd rather play games in front of my television than hunched over at my desk if I can help it.

I probably wouldn't purchase two compilations with the same games across different platforms though, unless one was for a hand held system and the other was for a console. Mega Man Anniversary Collection for example has different bonus content on each version, but I wouldn't bother hunting down more than one version just because of that.