Thread: *Need Help* Not familiar with current consoles

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default *Need Help* Not familiar with current consoles

I don't own any current systems, new games have gotten too hard for me to play. But now I've seen plenty of downloadable games I'm interested in getting one. What's making me interested is seeing revamps of old games (1942, TMNT, Bionic Commando etc.)

My question is, Is there a complete list of downloadable games for each console and also some of these games have been out for some time are they available forever or did I miss out some of them?

Thanks guys for any help!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

There probably is, but to be honest, even though I like the PS3 more, if you're into PSN or XBL titles only, I'd go with the XBL. They have a larger set of DLC games. Unless that's changed, but I doubt it.

However, if you're also talking about PSX titles for download then you may just want to look at the list of games available. I'll look it up and then edit this post.

Well. That was quick. Looking at the list, XBL has a much larger set of DLC than PSN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...on_Store_games (List of downloadable PS3 games is mainly what you mean.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_Arcade_games (XBL also has XBOX Originals so you should look up that as a seperate Wiki.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-19-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The only system that had games pulled from the download shop was Xbox 360. Wii Shop Channel and PS One Classics for PS3/PSP have update lists on here that are updated every time a new game is added, but there is no Xbox Live Arcade or PSN update lists for PS3 and PSP only games on these forums yet.

The lists we do have can be found in the Modern Gaming forum.

Get the Wii if you like the games for old Nintendo and Sega systems and get a PS3 if you want to be able to download PS1 titles without hunting for games. There's already 94 of them online. The PS3 also has many of its disc release games available for download and the Xbox 360 might have that too.

Xbox 360 online's retro fix is mostly arcade style shooting games and many of the same things that PS3 has. Most of the Xbox 360 arcade stuff comes from independent developers aside from the few arcade ports.

The Wii Virtual Console is one of my favorites because you can play older games (NES, SNES, Genesis, SMS, TurboGrafx-16) then exit and turn off your system, and when you turn it back on to play again, it saves right where you left off.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Wii seems like a natural choice if you want a modern system that uses a controller without a hundred buttons. For example, other than the occasional flicking the controller upwards to do a few things, New Super Mario Bros is controlled pretty much the same as the NES games.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I like my PS3 more than my Wii, but if you like old school games. I would go with the Wii. Great selection of downloadable oldies.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    The only system that had games pulled from the download shop was Xbox 360. Wii Shop Channel and PS One Classics for PS3/PSP have update lists on here that are updated every time a new game is added, but there is no Xbox Live Arcade or PSN update lists for PS3 and PSP only games on these forums yet.

The lists we do have can be found in the Modern Gaming forum.

Get the Wii if you like the games for old Nintendo and Sega systems and get a PS3 if you want to be able to download PS1 titles without hunting for games. There's already 94 of them online. The PS3 also has many of its disc release games available for download and the Xbox 360 might have that too.

Xbox 360 online's retro fix is mostly arcade style shooting games and many of the same things that PS3 has. Most of the Xbox 360 arcade stuff comes from independent developers aside from the few arcade ports.

The Wii Virtual Console is one of my favorites because you can play older games (NES, SNES, Genesis, SMS, TurboGrafx-16) then exit and turn off your system, and when you turn it back on to play again, it saves right where you left off.

While this is technically true, there are examples of PSN games which have had their servers taken down, making the purchase pointless. Calling All Cars is a good example, but there are others. Given the games the OP has listed as being interested in, his only choices are the PS3 and Xbox 360. Both systems have fairly extensive DLC libraries and the 360 in particular will be gaining a lot more retro arcade games with the launch of the game room service in the coming weeks. In any event, I don't think you can go wrong with either the 360 or PS3 given the games you are interested in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a shame that so many of the retro type downloadable games are exclusive to only one system.
    Wii has the Contra and Castlevania Rebirth games all to itself, as well as the upcoming NBA Jam. Ultimate Ghosts'n'Goblins is PSP exclusive. Contra 4 is a DS exclusive. Shadow Complex is an XBLA exclusive, etc.
    That's pretty much what has kept me from buying any of the current gen consoles. I mostly play retro stuff, and I don't want to have to spend thousands of dollars on hardware to play the couple dozen games I'm interested in.
    I just end up playing emulators on my PC.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    While this is technically true, there are examples of PSN games which have had their servers taken down, making the purchase pointless. Calling All Cars is a good example, but there are others. Given the games the OP has listed as being interested in, his only choices are the PS3 and Xbox 360. Both systems have fairly extensive DLC libraries and the 360 in particular will be gaining a lot more retro arcade games with the launch of the game room service in the coming weeks. In any event, I don't think you can go wrong with either the 360 or PS3 given the games you are interested in.
    I have to agree. Furthermore, as much as I love the PSN exclusive stuff, I'd go with the 360 based purely on volume. Game Room, as mentioned, is also coming and that looks EXTREMELY promising.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Since you probably already have a PC, go to Taco Bell and get the 4 Atari remake games before the promotion ends.
    They're 1/5 the cost of downloading them on XBL.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxstnj View Post
    Since you probably already have a PC, go to Taco Bell and get the 4 Atari remake games before the promotion ends.
    They're 1/5 the cost of downloading them on XBL.
    Already done.

Damn seems like a split decision, I think I'm leaning towards the 360 but can't you also download the games to Windows? I think I remember seeing Bionic Commando Rearmed for download on your computer. Sorry if this is something I could find out in 2 minutes but I'm out of time and have to run to work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

find whats right for you
    do playsega
    Last edited by hbkprm; 03-20-2010 at 04:41 PM.
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile