Thread: Disc Resurfacing?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Disc Resurfacing?

Hey guys I am new to these boards, and I'm assuming this would be the right place to post this thread. Also if there is another thread similar to this I apologize. Anyways, I was wondering how you guys felt about resurfacing your games. I bought a couple of Playstation games that are pretty scratched up. They do seem to play fine, but they are pretty ugly to look at. I've never had any discs resurfaced before and I was just wondering if they look perfect afterwards (other than having a small surface shaved off of course.) I would have them professionally done, as I have heard horror stories about the home kits. Thanks in advance for any info.
    Last edited by brooks83; 03-20-2010 at 04:29 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Agressivadue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's usually good stuff. I've had it done before. The disc will have a very light scuff pattern on it, so take a look afterwards. You'll be able to recognize the work on other discs, and it won't be as noticeable as the inferior home machines.

The machine I saw at the place I used, used water, or at least some sort of liquid, I think it may have had some abrasive added, and I believe there was also a buffer pad. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it works, as long as the place takes care of the machine.

Just make sure they guarantee the work, because it's not fail-proof, but it's definitely better than the home crap. Places like Game-Stop use the same shitty at home versions they sell in store, in the rare event they even bother to use it.
    Life is great; Without it, you'd be dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I had one resurfaced at Game Crazy that had deep scratches in it. I thought it was pretty hopeless but it came back looking and working pretty much brand new. I could be wrong but I think the stuff they squeeze on the disc might actually melt the plastic a bit, and by buffing it, it fills in the scratches.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

The "in home" units are terrible.

I had to purchase a professional resurfacing machine, which DOES work.

I had plenty of those "in home" units, which as many of you know I am trying to sell. Though to be honest, I plan on throwing them all away by the end of the week.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!