Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to get a 3DO, a reliable one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I want to get a 3DO, a reliable one.

I just sold some 360 games and a 360 on top fo that, since I'm a collector of vintage games, I want to get a 3DO next. I know what my options are, but I want to know which model of the 3DO is the best. I live in the U.S., so I will NOT be importing any foreign models. Basically I'm looking for the best model in terms of dependability. I heard a long time ago that one specific model is the best overall. It was either FZ-1 or FZ-10, can't remember very well.

A local store has the Goldstar and the Panasonic models for 79.99 each, they work well, and they come with all of the essentials. So here are my questions.

1.) Which model is best to get?
    2.) How do you determine what the FZ-1 and FZ-10 consoles are?
    3.) How hard is it to come by S-Video cables?

And you probably knew this one was coming...

4.) Games.

I've already heard about Return Fire, Crash n' burn, STAR CONTROL 2, Alone in the Dark. My console will come with Doom if I get it locally.

Thanks everyone!
    "The expenses of the government reach EVERYBODY"
    -Calvin Coolidge (30th President of the U.S.A.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FZ-1..the square Panasonic set top box looking console, is the most reliable

It has an s-video port on the back, so getting the cable is as simple as going to wal-mart if you dont have one sitting around.

Killing Time is my favorite for the 3DO...Policenauts as well (if you want to deal w/ japanese voices and text)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
    since I'm a collector of vintage games, I want to get a 3DO next.
    So you're a collector of bad vintage games.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^^
    Maybe I enjoy playing vintage games. Just because it was an ill-fated console doesn't mean it's bad. I have a sega 32X, and I like it, and I play it.

Anyway, that's good to know S-video cables won't be uber-expensive to get. I got a gold-plated one around here somewhere.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah...I actually give 3DO credit for just putting standard ports on the back of the console. Compared to what an S-Video cable would cost me for my Jaguar....super cheap on 3DO

Like I said...Killing Time is my all-time fav, Space Hulk is also really good. Off the top of my head, the games I consider worth the time are

Killing Time / Space Hulk / Policenauts / Puzzle Bobble (much better on Neo-Geo CD, but its still good) / Blade Force / Gex / Need for Speed / Road Rash / Out of this World / Flashback (better on Jaguar in my opinion)

My 3DO and Jaguar sit side by side, so maybe I am a collector of bad consoles too! haha...I have 13 consoles currently wired to my living room tv

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I gotta tag in and agree with the recommendation for Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels. If you like Rainbow Six style tactical FPS, then check out this game [which actually predates Rainbow Six]. It is an excellent title, very tense and atmospheric [essentially Aliens, but without the license or Ripley]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
    1.) Which model is best to get?
    2.) How do you determine what the FZ-1 and FZ-10 consoles are?
    3.) How hard is it to come by S-Video cables?

And you probably knew this one was coming...

4.) Games.
    1.) I've had my FZ-1 model for years and it still runs well, but I'd probably still recommend the FZ-10 due to it's lack of a disc load tray.
    2.) The FZ-1 is a square system that looks kind of like an old school vcr system. It's heavy and cumbersome looking. The FZ-10 was redesigned with a more console friendlier look and features a flip-top lid as opposed to the disc load tray of the FZ-1. It's much lighter too.
    3.) You may not find a 3DO with s-video cables included but you can use any standard cables so that won't be a problem.
    4.) All depends on what you like but I recommend Samurai Shodown, Royal Pro Wrestling(Japanese Import) and Crash N Burn(it was fun back then but now it's very dated). If you like Star Wars theres Star Wars: Rebel Assault but it pretty much sucks when compared to it's vastly superior sequel.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 03-21-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have two spare S-video cables around so, that makes me happy to know. Like I said, the 3DO (no matter which one I get) comes with Doom. I know it's supposedly the worst port ever, but I'm a doom fanatic so it doesn't bother me, and I know what the issues with it are.

I'm not big into fighting games, and certainly NOT RPG's. I like FPS, TPS, some RTS, some puzzles, racing, adventure/platformers.

Also, Jaguar, that's pretty hardcore there. I remember playing one, and I loved AVP and Tempest 2000.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming I love hearing your recommendations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by awbacon View Post
    FZ-1..the square Panasonic set top box looking console, is the most reliable.
    Ummm... No, it is NOT. The CD drive is mechanical, whereas the FZ-10 is a manual opening top-loader. That means less things to break on it.

Top-loaders are ALWAYS more reliable than front-loaders.

Both are much more reliable than the Goldstar model.

A local store has the Goldstar and the Panasonic models for 79.99 each...
    Good grief... I didn't realize 3DO systems in America were that expensive.

Road Rash and The Need for Speed are pretty fun. Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Samurai Shodown have good ports to it. For the most part, the decent 3DO games have been ported to other systems.
    Last edited by Breetai; 03-20-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my FZ-1 at the start of the year for $70 shipped. Came with two controllers. It works great and others I've known over the years that had one put money on that model as THE one to own. The FZ-10 a close second (or comes in first, if you're worried about the FZ-1's mechanical tray breaking, but I've heard it's not extremely common... but it will happen eventually I suppose).

Doom on the thing SUCKS. I mean, SUCKS. PO'd is okay, but also quite slow and buggy like Doom. Wolfenstein 3D is not bad. Megarace and Crash n Burn are decent. Some of the best games to me:

Another World
    Road Rash
    Samurai Shodown
    Battle Sport
    NFS
    Gex
    SSFII Turbo
    Lemmings
    The Incredible Machine
    Return Fire

There's some weird ones, like Pataank and Gridders, that might be worth checking out. And Way of the Warrior and Shadow: War of Succession are good for a laugh. Good thing you can burn games to try before you buy.
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want a jet skii
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the best games for the 3DO is GEX by Crystal Dynamics. It's a mascot platformer but it has fantastic gameplay complete with a secret world for you to discover.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by ReTrO-pLaYeR View Post
    One of the best games for the 3DO is GEX by Crystal Dynamics. It's a mascot platformer but it has fantastic gameplay complete with a secret world for you to discover.
    And you can actually save you game, unlike the PS1 and Saturn versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm on my third 3DO. I bought the FZ-1 new back in the day, ended up with an FZ-10 later on, and now I have an FZ-1 again. NONE of them gave me any grief AT ALL. I personally prefer the FZ-1, it just seems fancier and more well built to me. I've never had a problem with the mechanical front loader, those things eject like there is no tommorow. People say that they are less reliable, but I have yet to witness one fail. The FZ-10 is nice because it's got a built in memory manager. But that's not too big of a deal because you can manage the memory of the FZ-1 from a CD.

Personally, I'd say get the FZ-1 or the FZ-10. I am partial to the FZ-1 however.

Some people with the Sanyo and Goldstar models say that they are ok, and some say that they are not.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I have both the FZ-1 and FZ-10, and the top-loading FZ-10 seems to have a better time reading scratched up discs. Also the memory manager makes it easier to use.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

i remember reading on a different forum that theres a 3do console model that plays back ups without a modchip just like the dreamcast

is that true?
    if so what model?
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OP, I want you to play Doom on the 3do and then come back here and tell us your thoughts.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah...you can just backup your 3DO games, no chips required.

I backed up my rare import version of Killing Time so I could keep the case sealed, since I got it NIB

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Something that a lot of people don't notice is that the FZ-1 and FZ-10 come with slightly different controllers. The FZ-1 controllers are bigger and bulkier with stiffer D-pads. The slightly smaller one that comes with the FZ-10 is much nicer, but doesn't have the headphone jack.

Personally, I own two FZ-1s and I think they're great. They're built like tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by geezuzkhrist119 View Post
    i remember reading on a different forum that theres a 3do console model that plays back ups without a modchip just like the dreamcast

is that true?
    if so what model?
    That's true of all the models.
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah yeah, I know Doom sucks on 3DO, but its a game that is free, and I'm willing to give it a try because Doom is up there in my top 5 favorite series. If I enjoyed the SNES and 32X versions, I'm sure I can get by with playing 3DO doom on a small screen.

Now, say I get the FZ-1 model, and the tray jams. How easy would it be for me to fix that. Note, I work part-time at a video store where I fix game systems, a lot of the time I'm fixing jammed/broken xbox/ps2 drives and trays.