Thread: Snes NTSC RGB - image/sync issue with bright whites

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Snes NTSC RGB - image/sync issue with bright whites

I got bit by the RGB bug and went about buying all the shit I needed to set up my snes, genesis and sega saturn for rgb output. I have some minor issues though, and I am trying to figure out where the problem is exactly.

My setup-
    US NTSC SNES, Genesis, Saturn
    3rd party RGB SCART cables - Saturn and SNES bought from electric quarter, sega model two bought from pcenginesales on ebay.
    RGB->YUV Transcoder - cvs 287, bought from ebay. Looks like a knockoff of the csy 2100
    Component cable - monoprice rg6 component (quality stuff) - also tested with cheap phillips cable from walmart

On the snes, I get this image tear on really bright white screens. This is from contra III, the Konami logo and the intro with the big explosion

I also checked on super metroid - does it during the first large explosion while you are doing crystal flash.

This happens only on my LCD (Sharp aquos 32 inch LC-32E67U) - I ran upstairs and tested on the component input of my older magnavox 27 inch crt, and it was fine.

So, is this solely a problem with my tv? I dont have this problem with the component out of my wii emulating contra III or any other game with the konami logo. I've tried with the official snes AC Adapter and with a third party one, and two different snes's. I'm using an ac adapter from sprint for the transcoder - it matches the voltage/amp requirements and worked well for another user on a different forum (i also tried one from radioshack, same problem). Is there something I could adjust in the transcoder that could solve this? I know it has several variable resistors in there and from what I've read you can adjust three of the five for R, G, B color balance.
    Last edited by Zapf; 03-23-2010 at 09:21 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Problem

The problem is with the Scart to YUV converter. I had a similar problem with a CSY-2100 converter. It bends the picture on the top. I don't know of a direct way to solve the problem besides the following:

1) Buy an CRT monitor that accepts RGB (Scart connector or 9 pin din or other). Commodore 1084 and Phillips CM8833 are a sample few.

2) Buy an LCD that has Scart as an input (Samsung 910 MW and 940 MW). Though on an LCD with a retro system, it will still look like crap esp. the PS2.

3) Buy an XRGB-2, XRGB-2Plus, XRGB-3 unit. That will be pricey and upon my research. there is a little lag due to the upscaling.

4) Buy a European CRT TV. Most of these TVs have Scart, I got lucky and found someone selling one 1.5 hrs drive away. You will need a step up transformer (can be easily found in Frys or other electronics store).

There is a screw in the transcoder that will lessen the signal that causes the bending on the top of the screen. I did that plus went into my TV's service mode (I had to google the specific model) to bend the picture back. It didn't 100% solve the problem but it reduced the bending a lot.
    Last edited by staxx; 03-24-2010 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the issue only presented itself with one TV and not the other I would conclude that your TV is the culprit.

I would assume that using composite or S-Video the picture shows fine, isn't it? Maybe your TV assumes that the component is used for HD content and disables some of the filters used in the composite and S-Video inputs.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Not TV

I am pretty sure that it is not the TV's problem, though different TV bends the top area differently. I tested my Scart to YUV converter on a different TV and the bending at the top of the picture was exactly the same as yours. Here is a link to my old post about this issue:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111937

Something interesting that I found:

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php...020&topic=3580
    Last edited by staxx; 03-24-2010 at 01:15 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

an update - I opened up the cable to see if it was to spec for what a us ntsc scart connection would require - It didnt have the 75 ohm or cap on composite like i thought it might (it was advertised as a pal snes/n64/gcn cable), but the caps on r, g and b are a lower value that what I've read they should be on various sites (100uf instead of 220uf) - could this be the problem?

I just dont wanna go blamin the transcoder yet - it works fantastic on my genesis and saturn. I dont have any konami games to test with on the genesis, but I found every full white screen I could on what I had and the screen did not budge.
    Last edited by Zapf; 03-24-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It might very well be the cause. It wouldn't hurt to change those, that's for sure.

This site has info about the correct resistor and capacitor values:
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/evilt.../gamescart.htm

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An update - I got a super cheap HK scart rgb cable for $4 shipped from ebay (how they make money off that i have no idea). It just came today and had 220uf caps on the 3 lines. the issue is vastly reduced/almost gone (there is the tiniest of shifting along the top when those bright whites appear). Good enough for me!

I ended up buying a kramer fc 14 from ebay from a really good price, and will be trying that out soon to see how the situation changes / improves (have to wait for another fuckin cable for scart -> r g b c l/r audio RCA).