Thread: Would this make for an interesting blog?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Would this make for an interesting blog?

A lot of bloggers,video game critics and reviewers are always the "older guys" that have been around to play the classics. But, what about a 14 year old who has decided to collect and play the vintage stuff- reviewing them all in the greatest detail he can? That's what I think I should do- considering it's up to the younger to keep the flames of classic gaming alive (and I don't think they've done a good job of it. Criticizing them for being "old" and having "crappy graphics".). I just think it would make for an interesting blog and I'm running out of things to do or write about. What do you think?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

It hasn't been done yet, other than by magazines who are obviously skewed.

I'd say go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ReTrO-pLaYeR View Post
    A lot of bloggers,video game critics and reviewers are always the "older guys" that have been around to play the classics. But, what about a 14 year old who has decided to collect and play the vintage stuff- reviewing them all in the greatest detail he can? That's what I think I should do- considering it's up to the younger to keep the flames of classic gaming alive (and I don't think they've done a good job of it. Criticizing them for being "old" and having "crappy graphics".). I just think it would make for an interesting blog and I'm running out of things to do or write about. What do you think?

Do what pleases you. I think when you seek approval from others, you'll burn out sooner or later. But if you do something you have a natural passion for, don't worry because the audience will find itself. So it comes down to not "Hey what do think if I did this and that" but rather asking yourself "Is this something I would like to do?"

If the answer's yes, that's all you need.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seems interesting.

But its an expensive hobby. Can a kid really manage that?
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say go for it! If you really want to, and enjoy it,
    it would be a great read for incoming classic gamers.
    N64 collector

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
    Seems interesting.

But its an expensive hobby. Can a kid really manage that?
    Don't sweat it. I have twenty plus Super NES games, plus around eighteen NES games and maybe ten classic GameBoy titles. I don't wear fancy clothing or eat at luxurious restaraunts- most money I come across goes directly to my passion for classical gaming. There are also ROMS and Emulators on the 'net should I run into economical trouble- although I really don't like to use them as they do not really represent the gratification you feel while playing on a live console.

And to Steven, thanks for the advice. It really would please me to do this sort of thing- considering I'm planning on getting a job along the lines of authoring, gaming historian or journalism. I actually have quite an advanced vocabulary and perform incredibly well on writing prompts. Not to mention that I'm a kid who knows my video gaming history. What's the first game ever? Tennis For Two, designed in 1952 by William Higinbotham. What did Nintendo invest in before becoming a video gaming company? Trading cards, dating back to the very late 1800s.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, just for clarification, how will you write these articles?

I recall a few times when gaming magazines did these sort of things as one-off gags, with VERY cynical results, like kids not liking Tetris because there "Wasn't enough explosions".

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Nintendo invest in before becoming a video gaming company? Trading cards, dating back to the very late 1800s.
    If you're trying to show off, it helps to get the details right. :P Nintendo started as a playing card company, specifically Hanafuda playing cards. You don't "trade" Hanafuda cards, unless you're inclined to trade a 2 of hearts for your friend's 4 of clover with American decks of cards.

Anyway, nobody ever needed permission to start a blog online, so go for it if you want. I just think that if you want to keep a unique identity you'll have to keep reinforcing the fact that you're a young kid into classic games, otherwise it'll quickly start to seem like any old blog about somebody who likes retro games. Also, no offense, but I question how engaging a 14-year-old's writing can be. Obviously you can craft a nice, clean message board post, but it takes a whole other level of skill to pull off articles that entertain and capture the imaginations of the readers, avoiding redundancy and other pitfalls. While talent goes a long way, there are also skills that have to be developed, and that takes time and experience. And while I'd never argue that somebody needs to go to college or such to be a good writer, at least finishing high school should help a lot. But, if you don't concern yourself with what other people think and how many readers you get, a blog could be great to help you develop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Anyway, nobody ever needed permission to start a blog online, so go for it if you want. I just think that if you want to keep a unique identity you'll have to keep reinforcing the fact that you're a young kid into classic games, otherwise it'll quickly start to seem like any old blog about somebody who likes retro games. Also, no offense, but I question how engaging a 14-year-old's writing can be. Obviously you can craft a nice, clean message board post, but it takes a whole other level of skill to pull off articles that entertain and capture the imaginations of the readers, avoiding redundancy and other pitfalls. While talent goes a long way, there are also skills that have to be developed, and that takes time and experience. And while I'd never argue that somebody needs to go to college or such to be a good writer, at least finishing high school should help a lot. But, if you don't concern yourself with what other people think and how many readers you get, a blog could be great to help you develop.

I encourage the topic creator to just forget what others say/think, and just do the best he can. Overanalyzing and caring TOO much about what others think is a quick and almost sure fire way to burn out and/or going insane.

Just do it. Have fun. As soon as it stops being fun, you'll stop.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say it's not worth the trouble. What is really the point of such a blog?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To echo what others have said, you shouldn't be asking us if you should make a blog, you should be asking yourself if you want to make and maintain a blog. If you want to blog just for the popularity, you'll probably fail. If you're blogging about a something that you enjoy doing anyway, you have a much better chance of sticking with it.

I have been considering starting a blog where I review one movie a day. I think that I could do this, because I tend to write reviews of the movies I watch in a database that I keep for my own use; I know that I would be able to maintain the blog whether people were reading it or not, because I enjoy writing about the movies I watch.

Why don't you play some of your games, and start writing reviews at home? You don't have to post them on the internet, but just write them to see if you like writing them. See how regularly you can write a new review. You might find that you get tired of writing reviews after only a couple of games, and then you'd be happy that you hadn't started a blog. Or, you may find that writing the reviews comes naturally to you, and you 're always looking forwards to the next game to review--then you'll know that a blog is right for you. Plus, you'd have some reviews archived that you could post in your blog, lessening your workload later.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SPAZ-12 View Post
    To echo what others have said, you shouldn't be asking us if you should make a blog, you should be asking yourself if you want to make and maintain a blog. If you want to blog just for the popularity, you'll probably fail. If you're blogging about a something that you enjoy doing anyway, you have a much better chance of sticking with it.

I have been considering starting a blog where I review one movie a day. I think that I could do this, because I tend to write reviews of the movies I watch in a database that I keep for my own use; I know that I would be able to maintain the blog whether people were reading it or not, because I enjoy writing about the movies I watch.

Why don't you play some of your games, and start writing reviews at home? You don't have to post them on the internet, but just write them to see if you like writing them. See how regularly you can write a new review. You might find that you get tired of writing reviews after only a couple of games, and then you'd be happy that you hadn't started a blog. Or, you may find that writing the reviews comes naturally to you, and you 're always looking forwards to the next game to review--then you'll know that a blog is right for you. Plus, you'd have some reviews archived that you could post in your blog, lessening your workload later.
    This is probably the best answer to this question, in a more broad sense.

Satellablog more or less is maintained because I enjoy the pursuit of information on the Satellaview, regardless of the maybe 5 or so regular readers I might actually have (But not really know about). On the other hand, other blog ideas which might've been more popular, I never got off the ground.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And remember: don't pander or suck up to the rest of the community. It makes you look like a "wanna-be" and a "me-too'er".

Just have fun with the games and have fun writing about them. You don't need to razzle-dazzle us with obscure facts or trivia; most of us know 'em already!

Insert Coin (Level 0) seductussum's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really would please me to do this sort of thing- considering I'm planning on getting a job along the lines of authoring, gaming historian or journalism.
    The best thing you can do as a prospective writer is to read. Read a lot, and read good stuff.

The next best thing is to write. Write about what interests you and don't worry about who is reading it and what they think. As you read more and more great literature you will come to know what is good and what is not, and you will become your own best critic.

Seriously, though, read. If you don't read deeply you will never be a skilled writer.