Thread: So my PS3 "died" (YLOD madness)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Default So my PS3 "died" (YLOD madness)

So there I was playing Rise of the Agronauts, when the game freezes and my PS3 turns off. I have a what the fuck moment and then I turn it back on, only to hear it beep and go back to sleep. Man this really sucks, I'm going back to school in the next week to take a course and well I was planning on going through my backlog since going out wouldn't be an option for a while. Now this happens, damn it all man.

So before I call Sony, or try to do one of those repair jobs, anyone know of any kind of simple troubleshooting I should do?

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I heard that not always will a PS3 die with the YLOD. I've heard that it's overheating and it turns off as a safety precaution. Maybe leave it off for 24 hours and try it again?

Other than that. Sorry. That sucks. I'd try calling Sony.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

If your PS3 is not under a warranty expect to pay $149.00+ for them to fix it.Other then that,try to e-mail them or call them but there help line is useless any ways.At the most calling it they will just direct you to there website any ways

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strange. I've been seeing a lot of posts lately from people that had their PS3's die on them. Was this a 20/60GB model?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    Strange. I've been seeing a lot of posts lately from people that had their PS3's die on them. Was this a 20/60GB model?
    I'm also curious what model it is. Majority seems to be 60 GB though.

Mine "60 GB" got YLOD about a year ago to date and i've fixed it twice since, the fix isn't recommended for every ps3 owner though as it involves taking it apart and baking it in the oven for 8-10 minutes at 425 degrees "properly prepared" and yeah it has been working for a year.

I now keep the top off with fan blowing on power supply as it is the culprit and breaks down the solder in the motherboard around the cpu/gpu. Still looking into making the power supply external.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Mine "60 GB" got YLOD about a year ago to date and i've fixed it twice since, the fix isn't recommended for every ps3 owner though as it involves taking it apart and baking it in the oven for 8-10 minutes at 425 degrees "properly prepared" and yeah it has been working for a year.
    I use the heatgun method, though I will now use the same method but using flux as well. Heard it is infinitely better than simply placing heat on it.

Haven't done it to my console, but I have on my friends.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

http://playstationlifestyle.net/foru...ead.php?t=2376

Typing YLOD on Google came up with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I have a BC 80gig and it wasn't having any of the "symptoms" that I've been reading about. Not sure if I want to take the thing apart, but then again I can't really afford to fork over $150+ to get it repaired, it makes more sense to just buy a slim model instead. There's also the game that's stuck in there...man this is frustrating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sucks. I hate reading about gamers having to deal with dead systems. If you do buy a slim to replace it, keep in mind that you can probably sell your current PS3 on ebay or craigs list for either parts or to somebody who has experience repairing broken units. That way you'll have some money to put towards your new model.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I was considering doing that, I actually wanted to do that a month ago or so, but chose not to. I've been playing PS2 games a lot lately, so it'll suck not having BC anymore, since some games were upscaled really nicely.

So anyone have any experience with sending their PS3 to Sony? If I choose to go that route, I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.
    Last edited by exit; 03-27-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If you own a BC and are getting another PS3 I'd recommend doing whatever you can to keep it. You already know they're hard to come by.

Also, the thing you mentioned about the upscaling. Not a graphics whore, but after playing a game SD on my HDTV, 1080p upscaling is a major plus to me. SD on HD looks like ass. Also, games like DBZ Budokai 3, Tenkaichi 3, Castlevania Lament of Innocence, Resident Evil 4, etc, look MUCH better than a lot of PS3 games when upscaled to 1080p. Pretty much every other game looks amazing when upscaled period. Even the worst looking PS2 games look fairly good when upscaled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Also, the thing you mentioned about the upscaling. Not a graphics whore, but after playing a game SD on my HDTV, 1080p upscaling is a major plus to me. SD on HD looks like ass.
    This is why I now use my Wii for GameCube games. Playing the GameCube on the LCD I have, even if I use S-Video, gives me massive headaches and everything looks quite terrible and dark. A perfect example was "Dead to Rights" in which I could barely see anything on the second level. I placed the game on the Wii, using Component cables and on 480i, and it looked infinitely better and CLEARER than on the GameCube. I now use my LCD TV's exclusively with equipment with better connections, otherwise I will continue to get massive headaches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    I was considering doing that, I actually wanted to do that a month ago or so, but chose not to. I've been playing PS2 games a lot lately, so it'll suck not having BC anymore, since some games were upscaled really nicely.

So anyone have any experience with sending their PS3 to Sony? If I choose to go that route, I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.
    I've done it when my (60GB) broke down back in feb i just went to sony website.All you do is a filled out a form there and state what the problem is.Then wait for sony to send you a box to shipped it in from ups.Afther that it's just a matter of waiting then,now it took sony about a week to fix mine.Then the following week i got it back quickly since it was shipped express and so far it runs fine.

Btw last i checked sony still has it's trade in offer for a slim and...you pay $119.00 for the difference

Still i stuck with the (60GB) since i like having that bc for PS2 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I might call a buddy of mine up later and see if he still has his PS3 he got with his TV, he's going to give me shit since a few of us would have a console war to pass the time at work and he was only 360 owner, but maybe he'll let me get his slim for $150.

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Btw last i checked sony still has it's trade in offer for a slim and...you pay $119.00 for the difference
    That's out of the question, especially since I could sell my 80gig for more than that, broken or not.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    SD on HD looks like ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Playing the GameCube on the LCD I have, even if I use S-Video, gives me massive headaches and everything looks quite terrible and dark.
    You know I keep on hearing this, but in my case it's very untrue. I know some HDTVs make the games look horrible, I experienced this first hand when playing anything on my old JVC and I remember how everything looked watered down using anything below S-Video. My Samsung on the other hand displays them all prefectly, even playing my NES using RF looks fine and throwing on 120hz helps smooth things out when playing my Dreamcast and Gamecube. Only problem I've had so far is the buzzing noise that comes and goes when playing my Gamecube using the Component cables.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's out of the question, especially since I could sell my 80gig for more than that, broken or not.

Well, you'd have to get $299 (plus tax) for that broken 80GB to cover a new slim. On the otherhand, trading in your broken 80GB with $120 for a new slim would be a much better option in my eyes.....unless you can get that $150 unit from your friend and keep your 80GB of course.

BTW: Talking about the Gamecube - I used to use the component cables with the unit (the first gen Gamecubes which allowed it) and it looked just as good as the Wii hooked up component on my HDTV.
    Last edited by zektor; 03-31-2010 at 02:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    Well, you'd have to get $299 (plus tax) for that broken 80GB to cover a new slim. On the otherhand, trading in your broken 80GB with $120 for a new slim would be a much better option in my eyes.....unless you can get that $150 unit from your friend and keep your 80GB of course.
    Well I can get a discount off a new PS3 at work, plus a 2 extended year warranty, which seems to be the wise thing to do on consoles now. From what I've read, when you trade it in to Sony they only give you a 90day warranty for the Slim, which is complete BS.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know of Slims getting the YLOD yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

Well I can get a discount off a new PS3 at work, plus a 2 extended year warranty, which seems to be the wise thing to do on consoles now. From what I've read, when you trade it in to Sony they only give you a 90day warranty for the Slim, which is complete BS.
    I can confirm the 90 day warranty BS. I actually called them out on this over the phone and they gave me some ridiculous line that the trade in is not for a complete console, just the game unit so it has a different warranty. Unbelievable shit.
    Life is like a hurricane...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

exit,

Did you manage to get your console repaired yet? I would just do the heat gun/oven repair. It DOES work, as I tried it (heat gun). Also read you can increase the survival length of the repair by a few extra months by adding something, but I forgot what in particular. Flux was it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    exit,

Did you manage to get your console repaired yet? I would just do the heat gun/oven repair. It DOES work, as I tried it (heat gun). Also read you can increase the survival length of the repair by a few extra months by adding something, but I forgot what in particular. Flux was it?
    I am going to do the heat gun repair, eventually that is. I've done quite a bit of research and I've heard to use Arctic Silver 5, haven't even heard anyone mention using liquid flux tho. I'll probably attempt to fix my PS3 next week with a buddy of mine, I still need to find the Arctic Silver anyway, I'll be sure to keep you guys posted tho.

I called my buddy up and he had already sold his PS3, so I'm just going to get a new one whenever my store gets the 120gb model in and of course I'm picking up the warranty this time. If I do successfully fix my PS3, I might decided to fix PS3's on the side and offer my services for a small price to people who are scared to do it themselves. Of course I won't charge anything ridiculous, probably about $50, which is about how much it costs to get all the materials you need.

edit: I did a little Googling and saw a thread where someone asked about using liquid flux, but the topic was from sometime last year and things have advanced since then.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTalesNES View Post
    I can confirm the 90 day warranty BS. I actually called them out on this over the phone and they gave me some ridiculous line that the trade in is not for a complete console, just the game unit so it has a different warranty. Unbelievable shit.
    Not for a completely console? But the unit is the console.....that really makes no sense.
    Last edited by exit; 03-31-2010 at 10:34 PM.