Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    If I do successfully fix my PS3, I might decided to fix PS3's on the side and offer my services for a small price to people who are scared to do it themselves. Of course I won't charge anything ridiculous, probably about $50, which is about how much it costs to get all the materials you need.
    Careful. Although I do the same (only charge like $25 for the repair), you need to tell the customer that this is only a temporary repair, as the likelihood of getting an RROD is certain at some time in the future. The repair can last months, years, even days, but it WILL eventually RROD once more. It just depends on several conditions, like usage, temperature, etc.

I would let the customer know this, because any RROD repair is not permanent. But hey, it's better than charging over $100 for the same thing from a repair shop.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Careful. Although I do the same (only charge like $25 for the repair), you need to tell the customer that this is only a temporary repair, as the likelihood of getting an RROD is certain at some time in the future. The repair can last months, years, even days, but it WILL eventually RROD once more. It just depends on several conditions, like usage, temperature, etc.

I would let the customer know this, because any RROD repair is not permanent. But hey, it's better than charging over $100 for the same thing from a repair shop.
    Of course I'm going to have an "at your own risk" disclaimer printed out for them to sign, stating that I am not responsible if something happens to their PS3. I'll let them know that it's a temporary fix that basically gives them enough time to transfer everything to a new console and tell them the usual tips like let it breath and make sure to upkeep it. On a case by case scenario, I'll also let them help me do it if they choose, that way they can fix it their self if it happens again.

Again this is just an idea I'm having, first I have to fix mine and then go on from there.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So if you buy a slim and backup your old ps3 will your downloaded demos copy over?
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    So if you buy a slim and backup your old ps3 will your downloaded demos copy over?
    If you copy from one PS3 to another PS3 via ethernet cable, then everything is copied over including locked saves. It was added in one of the recent updates and while it's still BS that your own save files are even locked, it's better than nothing.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

If you copy from one PS3 to another PS3 via ethernet cable, then everything is copied over including locked saves. It was added in one of the recent updates and while it's still BS that your own save files are even locked, it's better than nothing.
    OOH, I didn't know that the system to system transfer allowed for locked saves to go with. Good to know, but yeah, they need to get rid of locked saves ... I mean, it would be reasonable if they were tied to your PSN ID but locking them is just silly.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a slim today I was preparing for the transfer and it said I need a system update 60gb fat even though mine was 315. I read the info fine print in the 321 update and it says that the update will remove the other os installations options preventing linix and such installations. If you refuse you can't login to the psn. That sucks

I am trapped I cant deactivate the ps3 system because I have to log into the network which requires the update.
    Last edited by gepeto; 04-01-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    neo geo system

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go to customize your network settings from XMB, and get to the part about DNS nameservers. Select custom, and enter the following IP as your Primary DNS:

Boom!, PSstore, PSN/online gaming and Home work perfectly. Video on demand doesn't but that's all, and Install other OS still works perfectly.

Jacked form gamefaq this got me in.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

anyone know if Sony still does the trade-in for a slim?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flibbith View Post
    anyone know if Sony still does the trade-in for a slim?
    Last i checked at there website they were a few months back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Well I picked up a Slim today and a buddy attempted to fix my 80g, sadly it didn't go very well. He had fun doing it tho and we were playing Donkey Kong Country with his girlfriend, whom never played the game before (as well as Super Mario World, which she completely sucked at, thus me changing it to DKC), so it wasn't a complete waste of time. I'll end up sending it to Sony, have them send me a refurb and then sell it, I'd rather not go through this headache again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

What happened? It's probably an easy fix, like insufficient thermal paste. Also, would Sony repair a console once it's opened? Even if paid for?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    What happened? It's probably an easy fix, like insufficient thermal paste. Also, would Sony repair a console once it's opened? Even if paid for?
    nah he put enough thermal paste, I think we just didn't heat it long enough, but he protests and is convinced everything went fine. From what I read on other boards, Sony will still take it even if it's been opened, since the warranty has long been voided anyway. I might take another go at it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it just to save a few saves anymore.

edit: Well I'm ready to say fuck Sony at this point, apparently I can't deactivate my Playstation unless I send it to them for whatever reason and get it repaired. They kept on saying that I have 4 open slots and that the only thing they can deactivate are the videos. What grinds my gear is that one of the techs earlier said they could do it with no problem, then the girl after said they couldn't do anything and kept on changing the script every time I mentioned how their website says differently. Then her supervisor kept on running me in circles, to the point where I just lost it on the poor guy and hung up.

If it wasn't for the girl I talked to,I probably wouldn't have lost it, but she was saying stupid shit like "Well you decided to buy a new PS3 instead" and it was just poor customer service all together. I think I might be done with Sony after this generation, I've been a long time supporter, but they obviously have some serious flaws in their policies that I've never noticed and this particular one is just bullshit.
    Last edited by exit; 04-14-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

*sigh* joined the club tonight.

My launch day 60 Gig unit just gave up the ghost.

Oh well, a good excuse to pick up a slim with a nice big HDD for all my PS3 gaming needs.

I'll send my 60 Gig to Sony for repairs. Hopefully I'll get a BC unit back. If I do I'll put it into storage. If not, I'll use it as a WiFi Netflix box for my bedroom.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

^^^if you send in a 60gig you'll get a 60gig back, but repairs through sony will run you about 180-ish, i 4get the exact number because i've had to send mine in after my initial 90 day limited warranty expired the 1st time my 60 ylod'd

but if youre in the market for a slim, when you call in, theyll offer to replace your 60 with a NEW slim for something like $120-130...supposedly

i say supposedly because even tho i was told "new" by the customer service rep over the phone, i think i heard somewhere its a refurb, anyway your call
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Could be the hard drive took a shit on ya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    *sigh* joined the club tonight.

My launch day 60 Gig unit just gave up the ghost.

Oh well, a good excuse to pick up a slim with a nice big HDD for all my PS3 gaming needs.

I'll send my 60 Gig to Sony for repairs. Hopefully I'll get a BC unit back. If I do I'll put it into storage. If not, I'll use it as a WiFi Netflix box for my bedroom.
    Can't believe it's been a year since my BC died. I still have it sitting in my closet, had to literally break open the BR drive to get the game that was stuck out. Although I do miss the BC sometimes, I'm very happy with the slim model now, I really don't miss my gaming console sounding like a jet that's about to take off when it gets a little hot because of the loud ass fans.

It's always sad to hear when another bites the dust, it seems that the BC models are just ticking time bombs and it still irks me that Sony never really fessed up to say that this was a defect. Oh well in a few years you could probably sell your refurb for a decent price and get a nice little profit out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

This thread is a little distressing. I haven't had any trouble with my launch 60gig...then again it's only been turned on a total of 150-200 hours or so in the last 4+ years.

Actually, I'm just waiting for that inevitable firmware update that finally bricks all the remaining BC launch units.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

S'all good.

5+ years of flawless operation ain't shabby for a 1st gen/launch day model of a modern console IMO.

Compared to the number of 360s I've owned during that time, I can deal with it.

I've already got a repair scenario set up with Sony and they've confirmed that I'll be getting a 60 Gig PS2 BC unit back. (As it was stated above, currently they only do model-for-model repairs, which is nice to know if you have a BC unit.)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Out of fear that my 60 would die at some unknown date, I opened her up and applied some name-brand thermal compound. I haven't actually used it a lot lately since I've been playing a couple Wii games, but it does seem like it isn't getting as loud now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it seems that the BC models are just ticking time bombs and it still irks me that Sony never really fessed up to say that this was a defect.
    Sony also never fessed up to the original PS1's overheating issues and the PS2's disc read error. Maybe they think it was the customers fault.

I originally wanted the 160 gig fat PS3 bundle because it came with Uncharted. But after that whole January 2010 issue that older PS3's had I'm glad that I waited to get a slim instead.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.