Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: That little thing that ruins (or almost ruins) a great game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

THe stupid little mini games in FF7, OMG IM MARCHING, fuck that. I'm also playing on the PC and the controls are terrible for that sorta thing and im too lazy to remap every button

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Really?

I think that's very easy! Actually, the Super Mario 64' wall kick is harder. I mean, not to execute, but, like in the 15th course, you have to do a lot of times to get all the blue coins. If you're going for a record and miss one, you have to restart the whole course! Not just this tiny part, like Metroid.

On that part you can even turn a ball in the air and get inside the entrance to get an extra missile.
    And in the later parts of the game when you get used to it, it helps a lot.
    I really think that's pretty easy... =)

I tried the Metroid wall jump many, many times over a span of a decade. I can usually get a few jumps, but that's it. To get past that part I have to resort to cheating by turning into a ball, and using the turbo button to bomb my way up the passage.

I do see Youtube videos of people using the technique very easily, but for me, wall jumping is something I'm not good at, like sewing.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by calistarwind View Post
    I always hate when there is 15 or so minutes of dialogue in a game before a boss battle or event. Then it just so happens you die but when you start the game back from your save point you are treated to the same 15 minutes of dialogue with no way to jump past it (see Dragon Age).
    You must hate Hideo Kojima.

Speaking of, I spent like 40 minutes trying to kill THE END on Metal Gear Solid 3. I couldn't even hit the bastard. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calistarwind View Post
    I always hate when there is 15 or so minutes of dialogue in a game before a boss battle or event. Then it just so happens you die but when you start the game back from your save point you are treated to the same 15 minutes of dialogue with no way to jump past it (see Dragon Age).
    Oh you can skip them in DragonAge, I put a good 65 hours into that game and it was absolutely amazing. One of the better RPGs I've ever played, though I wish it wasn't quite as dialogue heavy. Really embellishes the story though.

My main pet peeve are camera angles, especially when they can be the sole reason you die on a level. The main game that comes to mind is the Ninja Gaiden series on Xbox / 360 / PS3. Great game with excellent battles, but sometimes that camera just sucks ass.

Even dates back to the original Resident Evils on PS1. Though at least those camera angles were intentionally bad... sometimes they were used to really generate scares (such as when you go down a hallway and the screen centers on the window, you know a Zombie is coming through it).

I remember hating it when RE first came out, but now it's just a classic. It's just how an RE game "feels".
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    The wall jump in Super Metroid.

There's a part where they force you to use it, where they have little critters demonstrate it for you. However, executing it is very hard.
    It's not difficult. Even Strider on the NES isn't even difficult to pull it off and that doesn't show a different animation.

I think the last three times I've played the game I went and got the Power Bombs before the Ice Beam. Kill the indestructable enemies with Super Missiles, wall jump up and jump off and shoot a hole in the floor, then wall jump back up back up before the floor closes back up.

--

What I don't like is when you enter the final area in a game and then happen to save over your character but come to find out you can't leave the last area in the game, and sometimes you might not know it was the last area.

This isn't a big problem as you're pretty much at the end of the game, but it doesn't allow for you to do end of game sidequests and you have to restart the game to get all the way back there. Arc the Lad 2 is one of my favorite games and this has happened to me. In no way does it make me like the game less though. The NES version of Final Fantasy as well, but there's only the Masamune there and you can't save anyways, so not like it really matters if you can go back or not.

Another thing are special characters or classes that can be acquired in the game that make all other characters nearly useless. The Vandelier class in Vandal Hearts. This class is received by first getting every single prism and then going through a set of difficult battles. The class is so overpowered the rest of the game isn't really that fun. All other times I finished the game I still try to get all the prisms and finish all the extra missions but won't change Ash into a Vandelier again. Final Fantasy Tactics is the same way once you get characters like Orlandu(as if Agrias having part of the same abilities wasn't being overpowered enough, they have Cid who has insane attack power and all the abilities.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stealth Missions in action/platform games. T_T

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried the Metroid wall jump many, many times over a span of a decade. I can usually get a few jumps, but that's it. To get past that part I have to resort to cheating by turning into a ball, and using the turbo button to bomb my way up the passage.

I do see Youtube videos of people using the technique very easily, but for me, wall jumping is something I'm not good at, like sewing.
    hmm... crazy. Well, I don't like alternative controllers or cheating, so I'll not give up if I notice where's the problem.

But, did you notice that you need to be spinning in the air for it to work, right? And just press the other direction and jump "almost" at the same time.. Samus even change the animation... =P
    Walk before jump > she'll spin
    Jump before walk > no spin
    It can be interpreted as:
    D-Pad before jump button > spin
    Jump button before D-Pad > no spin
    Same thing to jump on the wall. D-Pad first. So it will work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    hmm... crazy. Well, I don't like alternative controllers or cheating, so I'll not give up if I notice where's the problem.

But, did you notice that you need to be spinning in the air for it to work, right? And just press the other direction and jump "almost" at the same time.. Samus even change the animation... =P
    Walk before jump > she'll spin
    Jump before walk > no spin
    It can be interpreted as:
    D-Pad before jump button > spin
    Jump button before D-Pad > no spin
    Same thing to jump on the wall. D-Pad first. So it will work.
    I'll come back in a year and let you know. It'll be a while before I play it again because I just beat it a couple of months ago. I don't think I'm alone in complaining about the difficulty of the wall jump though. There are many threads on the Internet that ask how to wall jump. To me, if people created threads on how to do a basic move, then I'd have to conclude it's not an "easy" thing to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

plus Machoke in that final cave near the end of D/P/Pt
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

I hate when an RPG emphasizes the crafting system in the game and often REQUIRES it to really progress well in the game.

or requires scavenger hunts to find crap to get items, to get anywhere.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

I'll come back in a year and let you know. It'll be a while before I play it again because I just beat it a couple of months ago. I don't think I'm alone in complaining about the difficulty of the wall jump though. There are many threads on the Internet that ask how to wall jump. To me, if people created threads on how to do a basic move, then I'd have to conclude it's not an "easy" thing to do.

Yeah, it was a giant pain in the ass when I was little and playing that game. But then I mastered it and found every other game with wall jumping to be a huge pile of easiness, like Batman on NES!

and some other games.

In comparison, the Super Metroid wall jump is pretty tricky/picky about button pressing.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Insert Coin (Level 0) shinobimusashi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that terrible wedding scene at the end of mgs 4 just completely ruined what couldve been one of the greatest endings in the history of video games. 3 ranks higher(just under 1) on my list of fave mgs games almost solely on that debacle.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    I hate when an RPG emphasizes the crafting system in the game and often REQUIRES it to really progress well in the game.

or requires scavenger hunts to find crap to get items, to get anywhere.
    Good thing Legend of Mana didn't require making a good weapon in order to progress :P. Atleast unless you changed the difficulty to every enemy level 99.

Atleast there was a detailed guide on the weapon creation. Everyone except the one person who created that guide seems to use the same easy and generic way to make weapons(including me.) Sure you can get around 200-500 attack, but why would you want to do that when you can get attack power 800-1000+?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/256525/10806

This person had A LOT of time on his hands to make a guide as detailed as this, and on weapon tempering alone no less.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On pretty much the same front as the original post, I think I would enjoy the newer Zelda's (starting with Zelda 64) about 10x more if Link didn't yell out YAAA or HIYAAA with his kid voice with every friggin sword swing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    On pretty much the same front as the original post, I think I would enjoy the newer Zelda's (starting with Zelda 64) about 10x more if Link didn't yell out YAAA or HIYAAA with his kid voice with every friggin sword swing.
    It's every Nintendo game. Why does Mario have to go "woo!", "ha!", "yippee!" with every jump? It's god-awful. I remember the first time I played a GBA, it was Super Mario Advance, and I couldn't believe they would "ruin" Super Mario Bros. 2 with terrible voice samples every single time you pull up or throw a root.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    It's every Nintendo game. Why does Mario have to go "woo!", "ha!", "yippee!" with every jump? It's god-awful. I remember the first time I played a GBA, it was Super Mario Advance, and I couldn't believe they would "ruin" Super Mario Bros. 2 with terrible voice samples every single time you pull up or throw a root.
    Well... for me it's better the voice than that werid sound that Mario does when he jumps in Super Mario World. Also, Sonic makes a noise too. I remember finding it annoying once in the Master Sytem. But just once... =)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like Winback on N64.
    The game is well action packed and goes smootly till you hit the stage with the damm Laser !
    It's so hard and frustrating because the camera angle are bad and the control does not respond good enough.
    I had to try like 50 times to pass this portion of the game... and more of the time i just quit and store the game for another 2 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There's was a cut scence near the end of God of War 2 that I had to watch over and over again. It preceeded a quick time event, where someone was trying to kill you with a sword. I can't quite remember what the character was, but it did not let you skip it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, where do I begin?

Camera angles that switch based on the room/street you are in/on. I am talking Yakuza and Devil May Cry. In Yakuza, I don't feel like fighting random punks all the time, so when I am holding in right to run right, do not switch the camera angle on me to make right force me to run down instead of right when I get to an intersection.

In Devil May Cry, the enemies like to hide off of the camera and I can't adjust it! If you are making a 3D game where in some sections I can adjust the camera, let me f'ing doing everywhere. If I am dumb enough to get the camera stuck, too bad for me, but don't get it stuck for me!

Long levels without checkpoints. I am a massive Dynasty Warriors Fan. Nothing like going through one of those 30-45 minute levels to die at the end boss to only have to play the level again. Seriously. No, seriously. Dynasty Warriors Gundam is really bad at doing it. If the level takes a long time to do, why would I want to continually replay a 30 minuute level when I lose? I can see replaying it if I win, but if I lose and want to try again, I am looking to retry the area I died in, not the whole f'ing level

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    For me it was Yoshi.

YOSHIIIIIIIIII. HMMMMMMMMMMWAH. AWAWAWAWA. HMMMMMMMMMMMWAH. YOP YOP YOP YOP.

FUCK YOU NINTENDO AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic