Thread: Famicom Disk System Gears Not Spinning

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Famicom Disk System Gears Not Spinning

I've looked through the threads and seen that a ton of people have disk system problems, but I haven't seen this one yet and was hoping someone could help me.

I bought a broken famicom disk system from Risingstuff.com, and when it and the belt came in, I watched several tutorials on youtube on how to change the belt. Oddly, the belt was made out of looped tape, but when I followed the instructions, it worked fine the first few times, then it started giving error messages. I assumed it was the "belt" so I decided not to touch the disk system for a while and order a new one from a different place. This guy said that the belts were made to be just like the actual disk system belts, so when it came in I was pleased to see that this new belt was not made out of looped tape.

I replaced the belt and fired it up and got an Error 22. I reopened it and put it back together and got the same thing. I then cleaned off the little felt piece on the head, tried to adjust the motor speed, and then the head position, because I read somewhere that 22 usually involved that kind of problem, still nothing, eventually after tinkering around a lot the head stopped moving altogether. I took the system apart again and started looking around, then I noticed how stiff the little white gears beneath the belt were. Thinking something was stuck inside, I took it apart and put it back together three more times and still the head wouldn't move and the gears wouldn't spin when I loaded a disk.

Because it worked before, this must've been caused by me. Does anyone have any idea of how I fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Okay, I opened it up again, removed everything and sanded down the metal bit that holds together all the gears, then oiled it just to be sure, then started testing it again. The gears now spin and so the head moves, but the games still don't load. I read on some other posts about adjusting the head and speed, but no matter what I can't get it to work. I got lutter to work for about two minutes before I tried the load game option, then error 22 came up again and the system again refused to load anymore of my disks. I'm getting really frustrated and am going to chalk it all up to the fact that I don't know what I'm doing. One post on here tells to turn the motor all the way down, and I've done that, but then when I try to adjust the head, if I go too tight I the gears will again stop spinning. Can anyone help?
    Last edited by rizzo; 03-28-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: did more work on system