Thread: Hacker Will Try To Restore Linux Support On PS3 [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Hacker Will Try To Restore Linux Support On PS3 [Slashdot]

Many readers have been sending in news of the impending PS3 firmware update that will remove the ability to install other operating systems on the console. (We discussed it here on Sunday.) Over the past few days, legions of PS3 owners have been voicing their anger at Sony's decision, upset that they'll be forced to either lose their custom install or forgo use of the PlayStation Network and be unable to play certain games and movies. Now, hacker George Hotz, known for his iPhone jailbreaks and his PS3 hack earlier this year, has vowed to fight back and restore Linux support on the PS3. He said, "The PlayStation 3 is the only product I know that loses features throughout its lifecycle. Software PS2 emulation, SACD playback, and OtherOS support are all just software switches you can flip. It's unbelievable you would go and flip one, not just on new boxes you are shipping, but on tens of millions already in the field."
    Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    </img>
    </img>

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was the linux install worth it? I heard Sony really limited the resources available to the OS so that it was like installing it on a Pentium II or something. Has anyone here actually installed Linux and done anything other than internet browsing? What kinds of applications or games has anyone run?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

GeoHot is a god when it comes to breaking into functions and coding, I'm surprised he hasn't fixed the linux issue already.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think he can do much until the firmware update goes live. He needs to know what he's circumventing before he can actually circumvent it.

That being said, I don't doubt for a minute that we'll see custom firmware or some other exploit within the next week or two.

Let the arms race begin.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Letiumtide's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

Having OtherOS was actually stopping people from attempting to mod the PS3 for so long, much of were modding often starts is with little things like internet usage, seeing what you can do with it, etc. By offering linux they didn't give any "hardcore" hackers a reason to hack it.

By removing OtherOS they are actually pushing for the hacker front to make it's move on the PS3, they just don't know it yet. They believe they'll be dodging a bullet, instead of biting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How is he going to accomplish this when he's clueless? He apparantly thinks SACD and PS2 support was simply turned off in later models.

If he isn't even aware of why PS2 support disappeared (The removal of the PS2 Graphics Synthesizer chip to cut production cost), he doesn't know much at all about the hardware.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

And all 50 people who use Linux support will be able to brag they still use Linux on their PS3. I honestly don't care that it's patched. Linux on PS3 blows.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.