Thread: How do you manage save files on a PC Enigine Duo-R?

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default How do you manage save files on a PC Enigine Duo-R?

Just as the title say's, was wondering how you manage save files on a Duo-R. Is it the same as on the Sega CD where you just boot up the system with out a game and go to a menu or do I need some sort of special HuCard to manage the data?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nevermind just found out how to do it, all I had to do was push the Select button to bring the menu up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is one of my least favorite things about the PC-Engine (since we're talking about savegames here). To save, you either need to use hardware (either via the Duo route or the external stuff for the regular PC Engine) or use a loooong password where you're liable to mix up say ぱ and ば somewhere along the line due to the fuzzy video of composite or, god-forbid, RF.

OTOH, for SNES/SFC, I bought a PowerPak mainly for the purposes of having dependable saving, as batteries are almost as bad (at least you can put a password away somewhere for 10 years, but when your battery dies, your saves are lost, period).

Having said all this, I still love the PC Engine and very much want one eventually, especially since I have a Benkei Gaiden HuCard lying around with nothing to play it on. I wish someone would release a clone console... Then again, if someone knows of somewhere where I can get a PC Engine or Core Grafx II for no more than $50 complete (minus box, etc.), I will be much obliged. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rising Stuff sells the PC Engine consoles (original and Core Grafx models) for like $45. Shipping would depend on if you go EMS or Air Mail since it would be from Japan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    Rising Stuff sells the PC Engine consoles (original and Core Grafx models) for like $45. Shipping would depend on if you go EMS or Air Mail since it would be from Japan.
    I finally tried to buy one. Thing is, they're sold out, though you'd never notice without going through the whole ordering process.

However, I found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=360257590123

So I hit the button. I'm a little worried about all the 'C's under "condition", but as long as it works, I'm happy, plus it came out to be $2 cheaper than Rising Stuff for airmail, and it includes more stuff. I'm particularly happy about the AV Booster being in there - while it will certainly add bulk to the console, it'll sure be nice to be able to use any old RCA cables rather than the proprietary cable that other PC Engines use. Sure, no "one random game", but who wants a random game - I'd probably just try to sell it for $0.99 on eBay anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$70 shipped for a yellowed unboxed PC Engine is way too much. But if that doesn't bother you that it's in horrible shape then you'll really enjoy it!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    $70 shipped for a yellowed unboxed PC Engine is way too much. But if that doesn't bother you that it's in horrible shape then you'll really enjoy it!
    Is it? Even with the AV booster? I couldn't find any other prices as good, and I looked for a month or so...

And yeah, I'm after usability, not looks (not to mention the yellowing is fixable with Retr0brite, if I ever decide to do that).