Thread: Nes Box Art Showdown: US vs. EU vs. Japan

Insert Coin (Level 0) timewarpgamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nes Box Art Showdown: US vs. EU vs. Japan

Yo, guys. I just finished my latest box art feature. Would be interested to hear what y'all think.

http://timewarpgamer.com/features/bo...arity_nes.html

And if you have any better scans of boxes than I already have, I'd be delighted if you could share them.

Take it easy,

--Vinny
    I run TimeWarpGamer, dedicated to 8/16-bit retro gaming. I'm also on Twitter, which is ideal for following the latest retro updates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What does Euro got against the name "Ninja"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Fantastic article! I didn't want it to end! I've never seen the box art for the European Mega Man 3... but it has got to be one of the best I've ever seen. Very striking and fun to look at. Great job! Would love to see more.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timewarpgamer View Post
    Yo, guys. I just finished my latest box art feature. Would be interested to hear what y'all think.

http://timewarpgamer.com/features/bo...arity_nes.html

And if you have any better scans of boxes than I already have, I'd be delighted if you could share them.

Take it easy,

--Vinny
    It was awesome, but Mega Man having a gun is not "anachronistic". Your hint is "chronos" meaning "time", and thus "anachronistic" is having some detail out of place with the time in question; so you're saying "they didn't have guns back then!" If you wanna use a $5 word, go with "malapropos" or something.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    I know, right. Ninja are essentially semi-legendary Japanese spies, but I think maybe Europe confuses it with assassins (which I guess would be part of a ninja's job description), and they don't want to encourage that, though the violence in the games stays mostly intact (ditto for Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles). :P
    Last edited by Eyedunno; 03-31-2010 at 08:39 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would have given the the gold to the U.S. Castlevania III art. On the Japanese box, Trevor looks awkward and Alucard's "I vont to suck your blood" pose is just plain goofy.

I also like Europe's Guardian Legend art better than the Japanese one. It reminds me of an old Isaac Asimov cover or something. The Japanese art is great but it's way too Tim Burton gloomy for the game it's supposed to represent.

I like these showdowns. Keep it up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most US Konami NES boxes had that ugly grey design. I think it was used until around 1991 or so. They also had the Ultra label in the US, which had a similar box style to the Palcom label in Europe, with the diagonal black borders.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Not too crazy about the write-up. Pass.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vxkens View Post
    Most US Konami NES boxes had that ugly grey design. I think it was used until around 1991 or so. They also had the Ultra label in the US, which had a similar box style to the Palcom label in Europe, with the diagonal black borders.

They were more of a dull silver than gray, and it served its purpose. It was very easy to pick out a Konami title from the shelf amongst the other NES games in a retail setting.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Quote Originally Posted by Eyedunno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania
    I know, right. Ninja are essentially semi-legendary Japanese spies, but I think maybe Europe confuses it with assassins (which I guess would be part of a ninja's job description), and they don't want to encourage that, though the violence in the games stays mostly intact (ditto for Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles). :P
    Wikipedia knows all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage...t_Hero_Turtles
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anachronisms

Quote Originally Posted by Eyedunno View Post
    It was awesome, but Mega Man having a gun is not "anachronistic". Your hint is "chronos" meaning "time", and thus "anachronistic" is having some detail out of place with the time in question; so you're saying "they didn't have guns back then!" If you wanna use a $5 word, go with "malapropos" or something.

Edit:

Good point. I changed "gun" to "pistol." The former was definitely too general. That Mega Man lives in a futuristic world of robots and advanced weaponry does make the pistol anachronistic. Do any other enemies in Mega Man use pistols? No, because it's an old-school weapon from the past.
    I run TimeWarpGamer, dedicated to 8/16-bit retro gaming. I'm also on Twitter, which is ideal for following the latest retro updates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default MM3 (EU) Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    Fantastic article! I didn't want it to end! I've never seen the box art for the European Mega Man 3... but it has got to be one of the best I've ever seen. Very striking and fun to look at. Great job! Would love to see more.
    Thanks, man. Definitely one of the best compliments I've gotten in the course of this series. Eventually, I'd like to do an all-time best box art feature, and the European Mega Man 3 box art will have to feature prominently.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You guys really like it that much? It always looked to me like Wily was spitting the robots out of his mouth.