Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a TurboGrafx-16...what now?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Got a TurboGrafx-16...what now?

Got a TG16 with Keith Courage and an RF connector. It's a pretty fun game, but I obviously want to get better AV output and more games. I also think the CD add-on would be a good idea since it can play Japanese games and has an AV out, but it's pretty expensive and hard to find working, plus you need a CD card which is like $30 by itself. Any good games that aren't too hard to find?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a TG-16 recently and just scoured ebay for good lots of games. I got 2 lots totaling 25 games including R-Type, Blazing Lazers, Galaga '90, Fantasy Zone, Dungeon Explorer, and Legendary Axe 2. All are must-haves, as is Military Madness.

Other good ones I got include Vigilante, Final Lap Twin (Play the quest mode", Bonk's Revenge, Bloody Wolf, Sidearms, and Raiden.

I'd like to find a CD attachment someday, even if just for ys, but I love the little thing just for what it is.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tupin: You're kinda taking the longer, more expensive route. Keep the TG16 as is, but don't go for the CD addon. Just get a Japanese Duo (to play CD games and Japanese hucards). The Japanese Duo with also play US CD games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stay as far away from the TurboGrafx CD as possible. I have never seen anything so unreliable. Trust me, I have a TurboGrafx CD, and every time I want to use my TurboGrafx CD, there's a gear that gets stuck. Said gear is well known for causing A TON of problems on the TurboGrafx CD as not only does it get stuck, but it also SHATTERS. If that gear shatters, your TurboGrafx CD is toast, as there is no replacement gear available. The only alternative would be to put in a completely different drive and cut away at the plastic inside the TurboGrafx CD's case. It's a major pain.

You should also be careful of the black PC Engine Duo. That one's notorious for leaky capacitors, and it's very likely that if you buy a black PC Engine Duo, a capcitor or a whole bunch of capacitors have leaked already, causing numerous audio, video and electrical problems. Plus, the laser has a tendency to run off its tracks and get stuck. If you get a Duo unit, get a PC Engine Duo-R or PC Engine Duo-RX. Those are more reliable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Got a TG16 with Keith Courage and an RF connector. It's a pretty fun game, but I obviously want to get better AV output and more games. I also think the CD add-on would be a good idea since it can play Japanese games and has an AV out, but it's pretty expensive and hard to find working, plus you need a CD card which is like $30 by itself. Any good games that aren't too hard to find?

My suggestions: Get a turbo booster for your TG16. Then you get nice AV out, and stereo quality sound. Then, you are done with your US TG-16. The CD unit is hard to find in a good condition, and is pricey..... and that system card is rarely 30$. it's more like, 100+. So for the price you spend to get the US CD setup, you could just import a higher quality Japanese Duo-R

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEC-TURBO-GRAFX-...3#ht_500wt_975

You might be able to find one from a forum member cheaper...

Next, for CD games, you really, honest to God, are much better off importing the nice, sleek Duo-R or RX (RX is a bit pricier, same usefulness overall, just a different color than the R and sometimes comes with a nice 6 button controller). It will play Japanese HuCards, has that expensive system card built in, and will then play ANY cd or super CD game.

So you will be able to, between both systems, be able to play every Hucard, and every CD game. Your US TG-16 will basically serve as your US HuCard player.

The only thing left to do after that, and it is entirely optional, is to get an arcade card duo (only works on a Duo), or pro (works in any system), and play the few arcade CD games (Sapphire).
    Last edited by Arkhan; 03-31-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Hm, I'll have to review my options. I'll definitely have to get some sort of booster, and I think I'll region mod it for Japanese HuCards as well. Then I'll look into the CD part of the equation.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Congratulations on getting one of the greatest consoles of all time. Perhaps I'm biased and extreme in my Turbo love, but if I were you I'd invest in a Duo model instead of a Turbo CD add-on. It's a better quality system and has the added convenience of an all in one console. It'll cost you a lot more, but it's definitely worth it, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Congratulations on getting one of the greatest consoles of all time. Perhaps I'm biased and extreme in my Turbo love, but if I were you I'd invest in a Duo model instead of a Turbo CD add-on. It's a better quality system and has the added convenience of an all in one console. It'll cost you a lot more, but it's definitely worth it, IMO.
    not really going to cost that much more..... TG CD + Sys3 is like 200+$ usually!

duo-r's can be had for about 120$ + shipping.!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I didn't realize that the Turbo Grafx CD add-on and system card were that expensive. If that's the case then there's really no reason to bother with a TG16 CD unit, unless you want it just for the sake of collecting.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Google 4 Gaga
    Last edited by UnpluggedClone; 05-28-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I definitely recommend getting a Turbo Duo. You have both the regular CD and Super CD support plus AV outlets too.

If you are looking for some good games I suggest ones like:
    Air Zonk
    Bomberman 93
    Chew Man Fu
    Devil's Crush
    Dragon's Curse
    Dungeon Explorer
    Jackie Chan
    Legendary Axe
    Lords of Thunder
    Ninja Spirit
    Parasol Stars
    Splatterhouse
    Super Star Soldier
    Y's Book I & II CD

Most of these games were fairly popular so they shouldn't be that expensive either. I also recommend Terraforming, Magical Chase, and Beyond Shadowgate but there prices are insane.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Until you land a Turbo Booster...

You can get A/V off the rear pin-out port. Just hack one end off a set of cheap RCA A/Vs and connect the wires from that to LED sockets and put the LED sockets on the proper pins in the back of the TG16. You can also tie a knot in the cable (so the knot will stop it from pulling on the connections) and run it through the AC cord slit in the back cover to make it look neater.

There is a thread here about it... Has better information. That's where I got it from, it was a while ago though. Check the Tech/Restore sub.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by UnpluggedClone View Post
    All you need is the TG16 the cd add on is awful as everyone else has said. But the TG16 is a very fun underrated system. And overall the games are not to expensive.
    the CD addon for the TG is awful, but the CD library is definitely not. It is the best cd based game library EVER!

duo-r ftw! Get one.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is helpful for me as well, since I have a few TG-16 games, and I need to add more titles to my collection. I own a black Turbo Duo, which I had to replace the laser lens, clean the inside, get a replacement AC Adaptor, and a Mega Drive component video cable. All that just to get to play anything. Expensive system to get into indeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've owned four Duo units over the years and none of them have failed yet. You should be alright with a regular Duo as long as you get one that was taken care of and/or refurbished, if you ever decide to go that route. Like the others said, avoid the stand-alone CD unit.

With imports, you'd be better off with the Duo R/RX units I think. Plus you can find the harder to find/pricier US titles cheaper on the whole with that method. A few like Dynastic Hero and Magical Chase are far cheaper in JP than the US versions of those games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Google 4 Gaga
    Last edited by UnpluggedClone; 05-28-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have my original CD add on unit that I bought brand new. It literally has thousands of hours on it and still works great. Back when I was selling used units, I had way more troubles with defective Duos then I did with the cd add ons. Just my observations, your mileage may vary.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ConsoleAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They say the Turbo CD is "easy to break and hard to fix" so I'm with these guys, don't even bother trying to find one. Either search for a Turbo Duo or, if you really want to play some of the Turbo CD games right away, just buy a Wii and download them from the Virtual Console store.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Hm, I'll have to review my options. I'll definitely have to get some sort of booster, and I think I'll region mod it for Japanese HuCards as well. Then I'll look into the CD part of the equation.
    If you're looking for a Booster Plus, then I'm not sure how much you'll pay for something like that. But if it's only plain Booster that you want, you don't even need on. You can make your own stereo and composite cables without hacking/opening/or modding your TG16. A simple CD pin connector for the old PC CD days will do (or USB block cables or other type of pin block connectors). If you're interested, let me know and I'll post some pics of how to do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Anyone have any experience with multimods.com? I think I'm going to get the PCB region converter to make the inside less of a mess.