Thread: Need some help with this deal, please.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need some help with this deal, please.

I found a guy who is in possession of Cheetahmen 2, Myriad 6in1, and Caltron 6in1. He tells me they were his sons who no longer lives with him. I'm not sure if he knows their worth, but either way I don't want to low ball him. I obviously don't want to pay ebay prices either (personally, they make me sick, lol). I need to make an initial offer that won't run him off/insult him. The three carts are all loose, btw. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by KingYoshi; 04-01-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An honest offer would be $250, IMO. You could possibly try to get away with $200 if you're not trying to lowball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

You also don't want your offer to be too high. If he doesn't know how much they are worth, a $250 offer will surely clue him in... might prompt him to do some research.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would offer him $100.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    I would offer him $100.
    That's what I would offer as well. In the least, he'll either accept it quickly or he'll let you know that he knows what they're worth to him. In this case, a lowball offer is worth it.

Quick question: does the person use eBay much?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Kisuragi View Post
    That's what I would offer as well. In the least, he'll either accept it quickly or he'll let you know that he knows what they're worth to him. In this case, a lowball offer is worth it.

Quick question: does the person use eBay much?
    I'm not sure. It was an e-mail response from a craigslist post. Of all the games I had listed, I was shocked that those three were the ones offered. I would love to come away paying $100 for the lot, but having those three games in one household would have to mean his son was a collector. Which makes me wonder how his dad wouldn't know they were rare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by KingYoshi View Post
    I'm not sure. It was an e-mail response from a craigslist post. Of all the games I had listed, I was shocked that those three were the ones offered. I would love to come away paying $100 for the lot, but having those three games in one household would have to mean his son was a collector. Which makes me wonder how his dad wouldn't know they were rare.
    If it's a craigslist post be careful. Craigslist is notoriously known for it's scammers. Like your initial gut feeling, it seems almost to good to be true. Chances are, it is.

But if it is indeed a legit transaction, let us know! Offer the $100. Whatever you do, don't send him the money. Meet in person. If he shows up with cartridges in hand, you're good to go!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    If it's a craigslist post be careful. Craigslist is notoriously known for it's scammers. Like your initial gut feeling, it seems almost to good to be true. Chances are, it is.

But if it is indeed a legit transaction, let us know! Offer the $100. Whatever you do, don't send him the money. Meet in person. If he shows up with cartridges in hand, you're good to go!
    Oh yeah, for sure. I've been getting alot of games on craigslist here lately. I always do "in person" transactions. Luckily this guy is located in the same city as me. I offered $100, so it'll just be a waiting game until he responds to the e-mail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...I'm just waiting for him to say "April Fools"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If this turns out legit I will poop myself. Seriously though, good luck man.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seriously think he is legit, but he is nuttier than squirrel turds. Here is his response, "Now son, I may be old but I ain't no fool. These games are worth well over $500 each. Cheetahmen 2 is one of the rarest games on the NES."

While he is right on some levels, Caltron (loose) is certainly not worth anything near $500, let alone over $500. Last two loose carts that sold on ebay were 120.00 and 137.70. Too bad that too much money isn't one of my problems, lol. I told him that I would offer $150.00 for either Cheetahmen II or Myriad 6-in-1...and no more than $60 for Caltron. Either way, its not looking good. Tried to tell him that I'm not re-selling these games and they will be in my personal collection till I "kick the bucket", but doubt that will help any, lol. I'll post his response as soon as I get it.

Here was my exact response to his e-mail....
    "Fair enough. I needed to see where you stood. As I'm not looking to resell (going to keep them for my personal collection), there is no way I can match ebay prices. I would definately like to at least get one of these games from you though. These games are definately worth over $500 (or around) when they are complete or sealed, the loose carts are worth much less. I agree that $100 was low for all three, but please understand that there was no disrespectful intent. Like I said, I'm not looking to make any profit whatsoever, so the price I pay is straight money spent. I checked the completed listings (on ebay) for Caltron and the last two loose carts sold for $120.00 and $137.70. Cheetahmen II and Myriad don't have completed listings (they haven't had one sell in a while...primarily because the asking prices have been too high). To be honest, I'm 21 and work retail, so about the most I can pay is probably around 150$ (for either Cheetahmen or Myriad). I probably wouldn't pay anymore than $60 for Caltron. If this is too far below your price range, I understand completely. Either way, I appreciate the response to my CL post."

Tried to be respectful, but this guy seems to be way out of my price range.
    Last edited by KingYoshi; 04-01-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is some dude screwing with you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Or they're reproductions...

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I would have just said if I wanted to pay ebay prices I would have already bought them off ebay. If they belong to his son, ask to buy them from him instead as it's a lot of money so why should the father get it all when they're not his? I really feel he's just saying BS to take advantage of you.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no idea one way or the other, but I seem to see this kind of guy on CL a lot. He probably REALLY DOES have these games, but he'll have them til the day he dies. I've sent emails about stuff like Star Fox Competition Cart, but the person always replies w/ some BS like "I got an offer of $250, but I'm still waiting to see if I get a higher offer!" Dur dah dur! Good luck, tho, as it's entirely possible this person has those games. Wouldn't be the craziest list of games to get sold on CL.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want the loose price for Cheetahmen II, go with $125 at most. It was going for $90 when I first got my cartridge and I've had offers approaching $150 for my loose copy (from some really nuts people). Prices fluctuate quite a bit on CIB and sealed, as I've seen both for $800 in the past 6 months.

This guy more than likely is being truthful but he's selling the games for his son, not for himself. His son has probably told him what to sell it for and what to do to rise the offer prices on them. I see it all the time at the flea market.