Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesis rarities and variations - who has this stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genesis rarities and variations - who has this stuff?

Being a maniac Genesis collector and also a game seller I have had literally tens of thousands of Genesis games come through my hands over the last six years. But there are still many things I know to exist but have never seen. Which makes me wonder, who has these? The two that come to mind right now are Captain America (complete with collectors pin) and Primal Rage (with available mail in soundtrack). Anyone here have one or both of these in their collection?

I've also noticed some 1996 re-releases of certain Genesis games. Specifically these are older games which were re-released with ESRB ratings. So far I have observed the Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic Spinball, Super Monaco GP, Taz-Mania and Taz: Escape From Mars ESRB re-releases in plastic cases.

Battletoads, Battletoads/Double Dragon, Caesar's Palace, Championship Pro-Am, Ecco: The Tides Of Time (Mega Hit), Eternal Champions (Mega Hit), Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Mega Hit), Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (Mega Hit) and Sonic Spinball were re-released in cardboard boxes with ESRB ratings (MMPR is the only one of these originally released in a cardboard box.)

One last thing would be Canadian Genesis games. These have different box art. These are the Canadian Genesis games I have, does anyone know of other ones?

Alex Kidd In The Enchanted Castle - C
    Alisia Dragoon - C
    Altered Beast - C
    Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II - C
    Batman Returns - B
    Chakan: The Forever Man - C
    Columns - B
    David Robinson's Supreme Court - C
    Evander Holyfield's "Real Deal" Boxing - C
    Fantasia - B
    Flicky - C
    Forgotten Worlds - C
    Ghouls'N Ghosts - B
    Kid Chameleon - C
    Sonic The Hedgehog - C
    Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - B
    Sports Talk Football '93 Starring Joe Montana - C
    Super Monaco GP - B
    Taz-Mania - B
    Team USA Basketball - C

Last edited by nebrazca78; 05-13-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I bought Captain America new with collectors pin back in the day, but sold my original collection off in 1997. I did not know if you knew about the Shaq-fu music CD promo and the Mario Lemieux pack in with hockey puck.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the mail-in soundtrack for Primal Rage...

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those are the only 3 re-release ESRB that I'm aware of. I only own the Sonic Spinball one.

One of these days Nebrazca, you need to get a list of variants together. Half of the time you have variants I've never heard of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    I bought Captain America new with collectors pin back in the day, but sold my original collection off in 1997. I did not know if you knew about the Shaq-fu music CD promo and the Mario Lemieux pack in with hockey puck.
    I do have the Mario Lemieux with hockey puck but I didn't know about the Shaq-Fu promo CD, thanks.

***EDIT*** While going through my collection I found out I do have the Shaq-Fu with the CD, factory sealed. Must have slipped my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    I have the mail-in soundtrack for Primal Rage...
    Nice. It's not surprising, you being a titan of game collecting and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Kisuragi View Post
    Those are the only 3 re-release ESRB that I'm aware of. I only own the Sonic Spinball one.

One of these days Nebrazca, you need to get a list of variants together. Half of the time you have variants I've never heard of.
    I do have a list of all the variants I have (ESRB re-releases have not been added yet). They are listed below the standard releases at my collection page here:

http://home.comcast.net/~mr.moto.x/genesishaves.txt

Last edited by nebrazca78; 03-08-2011 at 04:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome, thanks nebrazca. Mind if I toss some of those variants into the RFGeneration database? It makes it easier to follow along and may actually end up exposing more of the same type of variants if people are looking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think you need my permission to document variants, but thanks for asking anyway. I'll have to check your database and see if you have any variants listed that I don't have.

Does anyone have proof that Super Monaco GP was released as a Mega Hit? It's in the advertisements but I've never seen one, even on eBay or anything.
    Last edited by nebrazca78; 04-01-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's FIFA '97 Gold? I have never seen this which seems unusual because according to the site a lot of people own it.

Looks like there are about 10 variants listed that I don't have. Good to know, I'll have to keep an eye out. Interesting Shining Force variant, I've never noticed that. There are a ton of Ms. Pac-man variants that you don't have listed. Even before the re-release there were at least 6 different versions I know of. I don't have them all listed because I haven't been able to go through the ones I have yet.

How deep are you willing to go concerning variants? Some of the re-releases have excessive amounts of small variations in the packaging, labels and even the cartridges themselves. There are probably even more if you are willing to open up the carts and check the boards. Personally I don't open carts and check boards but I'm sure there are variants there too.
    Last edited by nebrazca78; 04-01-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's just Fifa Soccer '97...the database is user submission, so sometimes things get through the people who monitor submissions. Does Fifa Soccer '97 on Genesis say Gold Edition on the title screen, perhaps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's just Fifa Soccer '97...the database is user submission, so sometimes things get through the people who monitor submissions. Does Fifa Soccer '97 on Genesis say Gold Edition on the title screen, perhaps?
    That's possible. I've never played FIFA '97. Seriously though does anyone have the Super Monaco GP Mega Hit release?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78 View Post
    I do have a list of all the variants I have (ESRB re-releases have not been added yet). They are listed below the standard releases at my collection page here:

http://home.comcast.net/~nebrazca78/genesishaves.txt
    I have a complete boxed set so I'll have to go through your list and compare to what I have. Odds on, no different than what you have but it can't hurt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    I have a complete boxed set so I'll have to go through your list and compare to what I have. Odds on, no different than what you have but it can't hurt.
    You are a true video game warrior, going through 706 games looking for variants is a daunting task.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been going through my collection for variants while cataloging it. I'm already up to 1k+ on my list and I've still got a ton of stuff to submit to the RFGeneration DB for variants. I will say that variant collecting and documenting is definitely a daunting task.

For instance, the latest variant I found was a box variant for the NES Miracle Piano! One box has a sticker on it (rebranded PC Miracle Piano box) and one box has a printed NES Seal of Quality on it (Oval Seal). WTF?! The NES has way too many variants. It looks like the ColecoVision does too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

There's at least one more Canadian release I know of as well - the original Sonic the Hedgehog was issued using the Euro box, manual, and cartridge except with the Genesis logo in place of the MD one. I'm assuming they did it to have a multilingual manual and box that includes French. I have one CIB, along with a cart-only pack-in American Sonic. I guess they later rereleased the American version in Canada, at least as a pack-in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

My Fifa 97 does not have gold anywhere on it. Is is a variant? As for Super Monaco GP, I only have two versions, the original and the Sega Classic one. There are a ton of variants out there, such as the Raiden cover variant. This topic has been most helpful.

As for going through variants, about 6 months ago I decided to alphabetize my Sega Genesis Set on my wall and it was the best thing I ever did!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't seen any Genesis screenshots with Gold Edition on them, only SNES, so I doubt there's a variant unless someone can prove otherwise.
    Also, Vlcice is correct - there is a Canadian Sonic. It has the MD artwork on it.
    Last edited by Shadow Kisuragi; 04-02-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double post...oops

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For instance, the latest variant I found was a box variant for the NES Miracle Piano! One box has a sticker on it (rebranded PC Miracle Piano box) and one box has a printed NES Seal of Quality on it (Oval Seal). WTF?! The NES has way too many variants. It looks like the ColecoVision does too...
    Master System and Genesis have a ton of variants but Sega CD, 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast do not. Somewhat of a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcice View Post
    There's at least one more Canadian release I know of as well - the original Sonic the Hedgehog was issued using the Euro box, manual, and cartridge except with the Genesis logo in place of the MD one. I'm assuming they did it to have a multilingual manual and box that includes French. I have one CIB, along with a cart-only pack-in American Sonic. I guess they later rereleased the American version in Canada, at least as a pack-in.
    Are you talking about the one that looks like this?

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    My Fifa 97 does not have gold anywhere on it. Is is a variant? As for Super Monaco GP, I only have two versions, the original and the Sega Classic one. There are a ton of variants out there, such as the Raiden cover variant. This topic has been most helpful.
    The search for Super Monaco GP Mega Hit continues...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78 View Post
    Are you talking about the one that looks like this?

That's the one. The back is multi-lingual in six languages, and so is the manual text.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe Ghouls N Ghosts got a Canadian packaging too. Same as Vlcice described, multilingual back. Unless the US saw a release with a multilingual back cover, I imagine it's Canada only. I have the US version but a friend of mine has the Canadian one, I'll ask him to see if I can get a photo.

EDIT: Here's the back
    Last edited by fahlim003; 04-02-2010 at 11:51 PM.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!