Thread: PS2 - New controller works, old does not...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 - New controller works, old does not...

I recently purchased an original fat PS2 (online pack) and it finally arrived today. The box had been opened, but from the looks of the unit, pack-in game, and the rest it looks like it has had next to no play time...which is a good thing Anyway, after hooking it all up and booting, I found that the controller was not responding (although the analog button works to turn on and off the light)

Next I plugged in one of my newer controllers (just purchased actually) and thankfully that works fine (navigates menus, played a few games...etc)

My question is, why? The original controller is slightly different in the fact that it is more "shiny" and the plug itself has nine pins. The newer model is sort of matte and not shiny and has eight pins. Anyone ever encounter this? Or something as simple as the controller is just shot?

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I'm fairly certain that it's the controller. One of the controllers I use on my PS2 is actually a PS1 era Dualshock: there was never a hardware revision that rendered Playstation controllers obsolete until the PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I'm fairly certain that it's the controller. One of the controllers I use on my PS2 is actually a PS1 era Dualshock: there was never a hardware revision that rendered Playstation controllers obsolete until the PS3.
    Thanks for the reply. The seller said he tested the controller with the system just before he shipped it out and it worked fine, and I have no reason not to believe him. Just odd that it arrives to me and does not work. Upon further testing, having this defective pad plugged into the unit ALSO disables the second player port as well. VERY odd. Something is up with it, that is for sure.

EDIT: Tested on another PS2 AND tested with a PS2-PC USB adapter. Does not work with either.

So, confirmed, the controller is oddly just "dead". The only time I ever encountered something like this was with a new Atari Jaguar controller about 15 years ago. Guess these things (very rarely) just die sometimes. Now I have to hope the seller compensates for the fact that I had to buy a new controller for the system. I still can't believe these things still go for $25 plus tax....
    Last edited by zektor; 04-02-2010 at 02:50 AM.