1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Entering Passwords in Dungeon Explorer II

Hey, guys. I'm playing the Japanese version of Dungeon Explorer II on the PC-Engine, and due to all the Japanese text in the menus, I can't figure out how to enter a password. Can anybody familiar with this game (even the U.S. version) assist me on how to navigate the menus or what I need to do to figure this out? Thanks!

G

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can take some screenshots of the menus and such and post them in Mimi's translation thread. That might get you what you need, as she'll be alerted through her subscriptions (if she uses the function, at least).

Here's the thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136098

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

... Dungeon Explorer II is a CD game, doesn't it just save to the internal memory?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    ... Dungeon Explorer II is a CD game, doesn't it just save to the internal memory?
    Right, but there are many games where the save file is so big it takes up nearly the entire ram. Exile wicked phenomenon, sorcerian, and cosmic fantasy 2 are some of the worst offenders. And to make matters worse, many of these games will not load until you free up some ram.

I bought a memory base 128 to help with this but the controller port on it is fucked and I think I have to get it repaired.

@icarus: thank you for the reference. I actually figured it out after awhile on my own, but this will be a handy reference given my recent interest in pce and fds games. Unfortunately, the menus are so nebulous in sorcerian I just don't think the game is playable without a translation patch. Ill have to google for one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My point was, though, that I don't think the game has a password option... am I wrong?

Also, why not just get the English version? Price?

Memory Base 128? No, what you need is the Tennokoe Bank card and a system that can play Japanese cards. The Memory Base 128 only works with specific titles that support it, which are only certain later Japanese games. The Tennokoe Bank is a straight-out memory card with four blocks in it, each as large as the internal memory (Meaning that it's an 8KB card, because the internal memory is 2KB). You do have to copy blocks to the system for most games to see them, and I think it just works as blocks (so you copy whole 2KB blocks to and from the system instead of copying individual files).

The menus are in Japanese, but there's a good Tennokoe Bank guide on GameFAQs that details what everything does. http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/turb...e/916398/39167
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 04-02-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    My point was, though, that I don't think the game has a password option... am I wrong?

Also, why not just get the English version? Price?
    $10 - $20 VS $150 - $300 for a game that doesn't require reading.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good argument.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    $10 - $20 VS $150 - $300 for a game that doesn't require reading.
    Actually, when I was looking, it was $400-$700 depending on condition. I payed $40 for the import, which is in fantastic shape, and even came with the spine packaging. It's basically glorified Gauntlet so I figured the language barrier wouldn't be an issue, and it hasn't been except for the issue which prompted me to start this thread.

And, amazingly, yes. DEII has a password function. Just like DE1, there is an option in the pause menu to display a password (all English letters!) at any time. Entering it...that was a little more complicated.

@Black Falcon: Thanks you soooo much for the heads up. I'm glad my friend only paid $12 for this piece of shit. I don't have a HuCard converter yet, so I guess I need to pick one up (I want to get an Arcade card so I can play Strider, too!) Can you recommend a reliable converter?

And thanks for the guide. The FAQs on GameFaqs that I was perusing (there's only one) didn't talk about the menus too much, and I couldn't find any youtube videos of people navigating the menus in English.

Everybody who contributed to this thread has been helpful! Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Actually, when I was looking, it was $400-$700 depending on condition. I payed $40 for the import, which is in fantastic shape, and even came with the spine packaging. It's basically glorified Gauntlet so I figured the language barrier wouldn't be an issue, and it hasn't been except for the issue which prompted me to start this thread.

And, amazingly, yes. DEII has a password function. Just like DE1, there is an option in the pause menu to display a password (all English letters!) at any time. Entering it...that was a little more complicated.

@Black Falcon: Thanks you soooo much for the heads up. I'm glad my friend only paid $12 for this piece of shit. I don't have a HuCard converter yet, so I guess I need to pick one up (I want to get an Arcade card so I can play Strider, too!) Can you recommend a reliable converter?

And thanks for the guide. The FAQs on GameFaqs that I was perusing (there's only one) didn't talk about the menus too much, and I couldn't find any youtube videos of people navigating the menus in English.

Everybody who contributed to this thread has been helpful! Thanks!
    There's a big difference between asking and selling prices. I can put my copy up on eBay right now for $5000 and watch the rest of the power sellers raise their prices, but even factoring in random rich impulse buyers, the average selling price would remain the same.

Currently the Turbo collectible market is out of control, being manipulated by crooked sellers. Although it's ruined the selling price of a few games, you can still get a decent deal if you're even just a little patient.

Right now there is a new/sealed copy of U.S. DEII on eBay for $380. So there's no way anyone's paying anything near that for a used copy. The only version that's actually sold lately was a complete PCE copy for $15.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought this game for $170 a couple of years ago, I don't even think I played it yet... I didn't care for the first one, I don't know why I bought the second one.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah there have been ~3 US Dungeon Explorer 2's up on ebay lately, selling from $100-170. I think there was another 1 in a lot auction as well.

Seems unusual because Dungeon Explorer 2 apparently has one of the lowest print runs of any US released game. 1,500 I think I read some time back? Never seems terribly hard to find though, other games with that about same number attached as the print run seem much harder to find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I really like the Dungeon Explorer series (particularly the Turbografx ones) but, yeah this one does seem a bit easier to find, if you're willing to pay.

I guess Forgotten Worlds was released in the U.S. in also a very small print run. That one I've never seen on ebay or in the wild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I really like the Dungeon Explorer series (particularly the Turbografx ones) but, yeah this one does seem a bit easier to find, if you're willing to pay.

I guess Forgotten Worlds was released in the U.S. in also a very small print run. That one I've never seen on ebay or in the wild.
    Forgotten Worlds is actually pretty common. For years it wasn't listed on eBay very often because TZD had an endless supply of new/sealed copies for $20 - $30.