Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Need information about pawnshops in NYC and Miami.

  1. #1
    Strawberry (Level 2) [-Sentinel-]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    592
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Need information about pawnshops in NYC and Miami.

    Hey guys.
    So, I've always had a dream about going to NYC, and since I've graduated and have a job, now that is possible. And I'll be there from 23th May to 01 June.
    In these few years as a game collector, I've been told about "pawnshops", that they are great places to gather rare games for cheap. Since I'm going to USA, I'm looking for some pawnshops recomendations in New York City.
    Can anyone provide some information? Also, any suggestion on places I should visit?
    Thanks for the time! :-)
    Last edited by [-Sentinel-]; 04-03-2010 at 08:46 AM.
    PSN ID: rodolfocm
    3DS FC: 1375-7284-4033

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,818
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    12
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    110
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

    Default

    NYC is a pretty lousy place to look for pawn shops or thrift stores to be honest. You'd be better off looking for those in smaller cities. There isn't much of a used goods culture in NYC. People are either too snobby to shop anywhere but fancy retail stores, or the people who do need something cheap go to dollar stores, which are practically on every block. Garage/yard sales are also very rare (most wouldn't have the area to hold one anyway if they're living in apartments or rowhouses).

    Anyway, recommendations would vary depending on where you're going. NYC is huge, and I doubt you're going to visit every borough. I guess you can look up what'll be near you with this: http://www.yellowpages.com/New-York-NY

  3. #3
    Peach (Level 3) izarate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    603
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I recall seeing a Salvation Army (or was it a Goodwill?) on the 46th four or five blocks away from the Intrepid.

  4. #4
    Ghostbuster
    Greg2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Soprano Land, NJ
    Posts
    3,521
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    28
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

    Default

    Nothing is sold "cheap" in New York. I also very much doubt there's anything rare either. The suburbs is where people had money back in the day to buy the games in the first place. However, they're probably unreachable for you on your trip.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

  5. #5
    Pac-Man (Level 10) NoahsMyBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,144
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Even disregarding the locale, are pawnshops that good of a deal for anybody anyway?

    Sometime around '90 or '91 I worked for a pawnshop chain in Baton Rouge briefly. The chain totaled maybe 4 or 5 locations, and I worked in most of them.

    It seemed to me though that the prices were rarely good (for the customer), and many times were even higher than what an informed customer might find on an identical, new product at an ordinary retail store or website. The few times I've visited other pawnshops I've noticed the same thing.

    I think the idea that pawnshops offer discounted prices is a myth.

    Am I wrong?
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog


  6. #6
    Strawberry (Level 2) Lerxstnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    485
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

    Default

    Pawnshop in NYC? Not so much.
    Pornshop in NYC? Yes.
    WANT LIST:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...older=Wishlist

    ALSO WANTED: Dreamcast Sports Edition empty box

    FOR SALE/TRADE:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...r+Sale%2FTrade

  7. #7
    Great Puma (Level 12) Steve W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    DFW Metroplex, Texas
    Posts
    4,252
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    26
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMyBro View Post
    Even disregarding the locale, are pawnshops that good of a deal for anybody anyway?

    Sometime around '90 or '91 I worked for a pawnshop chain in Baton Rouge briefly. The chain totaled maybe 4 or 5 locations, and I worked in most of them.

    It seemed to me though that the prices were rarely good (for the customer), and many times were even higher than what an informed customer might find on an identical, new product at an ordinary retail store or website. The few times I've visited other pawnshops I've noticed the same thing.

    I think the idea that pawnshops offer discounted prices is a myth.

    Am I wrong?
    I've rarely found anything good in pawn shops. Usually overpriced common games and such, which is why I never check them out anymore. It seems like pawn shops around me don't accept any games and systems older than PS2/Xbox/GameCube era. Maybe the more run down junky shops will carry N64 games, but that's about it.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,818
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    12
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    110
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

    Default

    Yeah, pawn shops tend to suck. They're only really good for the rare find of a semi-expensive game that they're not privy too. Usually their prices are mostly standardized, so, say, every GameCube/Xbox/PS2 game may be $10, as I've often seen, which is too much for most titles, but if they happen to have something worth more than that and they aren't aware of the fact, then you can get a good deal.

  9. #9
    Strawberry (Level 2) [-Sentinel-]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    592
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for all the information, guys.
    So, as I see, pawnshops aren't a good deal or don't have any in NYC.
    I'll also be in Miami. Any suggestion on where I should shop there?

    Thanks!
    PSN ID: rodolfocm
    3DS FC: 1375-7284-4033

  10. #10
    Pear (Level 6) DefaultGen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Videogamesnewyork on 6th street is pretty sweet. Their prices are somewhere between 10 and 20 times market price of things, but they're got a boatload of stuff that's at least fun to see in person rather than pictures online!

    If you're looking to buy anything, don't bother with any of the actual game stores. Their prices are outrageous.

  11. #11
    Great Puma (Level 12) Steve W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    DFW Metroplex, Texas
    Posts
    4,252
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    26
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

    Default

    You might want to re-title this thread to say "Need information about pawnshops in NYC and Miami". That should pull in some of the Miami people here who might not have looked at this thread before.

  12. #12
    Strawberry (Level 2) [-Sentinel-]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    592
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DefaultGen View Post
    Videogamesnewyork on 6th street is pretty sweet. Their prices are somewhere between 10 and 20 times market price of things, but they're got a boatload of stuff that's at least fun to see in person rather than pictures online!

    If you're looking to buy anything, don't bother with any of the actual game stores. Their prices are outrageous.
    Thanks for the information! I'll go there!


    Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    You might want to re-title this thread to say "Need information about pawnshops in NYC and Miami". That should pull in some of the Miami people here who might not have looked at this thread before.
    Good point.
    PSN ID: rodolfocm
    3DS FC: 1375-7284-4033

  13. #13
    Banana (Level 7) klausien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,504
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    J&L Game Trading Inc.
    28 Elizabeth Street
    New York, NY 10013

    Other than videogamesny, which kinda sucks for the aforementioned reasons (though you CAN even find a deal there if you are persistent enough - at least I did a couple times back when they were on St. Marks), I recommend J&L. Especially if you like imports. I haven't been to the new store, but the couple times I went to the old one it was worthwhile.

  14. #14
    ServBot (Level 11)
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    3,791
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    There was a time not too long ago where pawn shops had a nice of last gen games for reasonable prices. Most of these are being liquidated nowadays, and replaced with more expensive current generation games. I could find all kinds of games at Pawn's in Florida- not so much up here in the Carolinas. I would figure Miami would have some decent spots if you knew where to look. Anyone from Miami here want to chime in.

    Never having been in New York, you guys confirmed what I always thought anyway... nothing good to find and everything's overpriced.

  15. #15
    Strawberry (Level 2) [-Sentinel-]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    592
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klausien View Post
    J&L Game Trading Inc.
    28 Elizabeth Street
    New York, NY 10013

    Other than videogamesny, which kinda sucks for the aforementioned reasons (though you CAN even find a deal there if you are persistent enough - at least I did a couple times back when they were on St. Marks), I recommend J&L. Especially if you like imports. I haven't been to the new store, but the couple times I went to the old one it was worthwhile.
    Thanks! I'll take a look at that store!


    Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    There was a time not too long ago where pawn shops had a nice of last gen games for reasonable prices. Most of these are being liquidated nowadays, and replaced with more expensive current generation games. I could find all kinds of games at Pawn's in Florida- not so much up here in the Carolinas. I would figure Miami would have some decent spots if you knew where to look. Anyone from Miami here want to chime in.

    Never having been in New York, you guys confirmed what I always thought anyway... nothing good to find and everything's overpriced.
    Silly me that thought that I would find something cheap in NYC. :P
    PSN ID: rodolfocm
    3DS FC: 1375-7284-4033

  16. #16
    Ghostbuster
    Greg2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Soprano Land, NJ
    Posts
    3,521
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    28
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

    Default

    Don't forget the Nintendo Store is in NYC, if you want to visit. 10 Rockefeller Plaza.

    The other thing I was going to say is that in the USA, most pawn shops are located in lousy neighborhoods.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

  17. #17
    Strawberry (Level 2) [-Sentinel-]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    592
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Don't forget the Nintendo Store is in NYC, if you want to visit. 10 Rockefeller Plaza.

    The other thing I was going to say is that in the USA, most pawn shops are located in lousy neighborhoods.
    Already added that to my list!
    :-)
    PSN ID: rodolfocm
    3DS FC: 1375-7284-4033

Similar Threads

  1. Wii U Experience Miami
    By Enmity in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 01:18 AM
  2. Miami Law DS
    By Chainsaw_Charlie in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-29-2009, 12:28 AM
  3. Miami Vice
    By perry rhodan in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 04:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •