Thread: FZ-1 3DO systems. Differences between PAL/NTSC...??

Insert Coin (Level 0) sonoranreptile's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default FZ-1 3DO systems. Differences between PAL/NTSC...??

I have 2 FZ-1 Panasonic 3DO systems. I just picked one up yesterday that came with a few PAL games mixed in with some NTSC games and the systems generally look the same but there are a few minor differences. The one I have noticed is the vents on the sides of the system. On my original 3DO there is only one set of small vent holes on the top half of either side of the system, but on the new one there are 4. Anyone know how to tell if region differences on this particular model? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: More differences:
    The old one has a grayish "granite" pattern on the top, the new one is the same color as the rest of the unit.
    The font on the front of the new one is larger than the font on the old one. (READY, ACCESS, even the R.E.A.L logo is larger)
    Last edited by sonoranreptile; 04-02-2010 at 02:21 PM.
    A delusion made me stronger
    Yet I'm draped in pale withering flesh
    I sacrificed more than I had
    And left my woes beneath the mire
    --Opeth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like other electronic equipment, the Panasonic FZ-1 went through hardware revisions during its lifespan. Early units had active cooling, later units employed passive cooling, shielding differences, electronic revisions, etc.

The difference you are noting in venting is strictly related to revisions in cooling requirements and not related to region.
    An easy way to tell the region of the console is to look at the input voltage/frequency requirements for powering the unit.
    There isn't any region lockout on software except for a handful of Japanese titles that require a special Kanji font stored on a separate ROM installed on Japanese 3DO consoles.

Here is some information I posted on another forum concerning some differences in US FZ-1's.

In the picture below, a stark contrast in the design of the top half of the FZ-1 shell can be seen.
    The late model FZ-1 is on the right and has a very shiny smooth mirror-like finish with very fine dark speckles.
    The earlier model FZ-1 on the left possesses a dull non-reflective surface peppered with larger white speckles.

In addition to the obvious differences on the top of the units, the front of the two units also hold minor changes.
    In the picture below, the glossy topped FZ-1 is on top.
    Immediately apparent when the units are sitting in front of you is that the gold "Panasonic" badge on the CD loading tray projects about 1/2 millimeter out from the surface of the tray on the glossy topped FZ-1. The gold "Panasonic" badge on the dull, white-speckled FZ-1 has been molded into a shallow recess such that the badge is flush with the surface of the tray.
    Another difference that is more obvious in the below picture is that the silkscreen labeling appears more bold in the glossy-topped FZ-1, and the lettering "READY", "ACCESS", and "FZ-1" are clearly larger.

FOR ALL PICTURES BELOW, THE EARLY MODEL FZ-1 WITH A WHITE SPECKLED TOP IS PICTURED TO THE LEFT. THE LATE MODEL FZ-1 IS PICTURED TO THE RIGHT.

The two pictures below show the two units with only their top plastic half-shell removed.
    A difference in the amount of shielding can be seen in the power supply section. There is also an additional hole in the shield over the CD tray in the late model FZ-1.

Below is a shot of the back of the two units with only the top plastic half-shell removed. The way in which the two units secure the shielding to the CD drive differs as well. Circled in the two pictures for clarity, it can be seen that the early model FZ-1 has its shielding screwed into place, while the late model FZ-1 drive shielding has tabs tucked under teeth.

Below are pictures of the CD drives for the units. The early model FZ-1 disected for these pictures had a drive unit with a manufacture date of May 1994 while the late model FZ-1 had a drive unit with a manufacture date of September 1994.

After removing the shielding over the CD drive, removing the CD drive itself, and then removing additional shielding under the CD drive, the motherboard is revealed.
    To the right of the CLIO and MADAM IC's there is a patch of silkscreening on the two boards that reads "1993" for the early model FZ-1 and "1994" for the late model FZ-1.
    There are also some minor circuit revisions made to the late model FZ-1 and a corresponding change in board layout to accomodate those changes.

Insert Coin (Level 0) sonoranreptile's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome info! Thank you very much indeed! I did notice that the serial number on my old one starts with "3" and the other with "4" and am assuming those relate to the manufacture year as well. You sir....rock!
    A delusion made me stronger
    Yet I'm draped in pale withering flesh
    I sacrificed more than I had
    And left my woes beneath the mire
    --Opeth