Thread: Question Regarding Video Game Collectors - Pal Releases - Why bother?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question Regarding Video Game Collectors - Pal Releases - Why bother?

I'm not sure if this goes in this forum, but here goes. I am beginning a video game collection. I am an avid RPG enthusiast and eventually I strive to own many games from the US and JPN libraries (this includes both versions).

I am from the US and that is my reason for wanting that version. The Japan released versions are considered the "true" originals and often offer someone altered content (if not largly altered) from the port to the US.

However with the PAL releases, I just don't see the point in going after them. All they are is another altered version of the game for another country. Can someone debate me on this or give me a reason why I should want them?

Side Note - This goes for greatest hits (US), and Platinum Hits (JPN) as well - What's the point in wanting these versions if you own the original from said county??

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most every system has some PAL-only releases. That's what I generally go for, although sometimes the different artwork can be a kick for multi-region releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also some times, PAL releases have been known to fix certain bugs, have new/different content and superior translations than their American counter parts.

As for owning greatest hit variations, chalk it up to collector OCD.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys, you've been very helpful and informative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

I have a few PAL PS3 and PSP games, only because I can play them on my American console. I imported Winter Sports The Great Tournament and Superstars V8 Next Challenge because they were only available on PAL consoles. (Now some version of Superstars V8 is coming out here and Winter Sports will hit the Wii here, courtesy of Zoo "Shovelware" games). I also have the UK version 2010 FIFA World Cup, because I jumped the gun thinking I'd get it a month before the US release lol - then they delayed it and I couldn't cancel my order. I'll keep it sealed as a trophy to my stupidity (I have a U.S. copy as well, since I needed one for my website at launch).

I also ordered the History Channel Battles of Rome game for PSP. Got it from an American dealer for cheap. Ordering PAL is usually way expensive since it's hard to get games from the UK outside of ebay (due to some trade embargo). My Winter Sports and Superstars V8 games are from Germany actually, complete with USK ratings on the front and german text all over the back off the box. I can order games off of Amazon.de real easily (and real expensively) but Amazon.co.uk won't allow it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DOAsaturn View Post
    I have a few PAL PS3 and PSP games, only because I can play them on my American console. I imported Winter Sports The Great Tournament and Superstars V8 Next Challenge because they were only available on PAL consoles. (Now some version of Superstars V8 is coming out here and Winter Sports will hit the Wii here, courtesy of Zoo "Shovelware" games). I also have the UK version 2010 FIFA World Cup, because I jumped the gun thinking I'd get it a month before the US release lol - then they delayed it and I couldn't cancel my order. I'll keep it sealed as a trophy to my stupidity (I have a U.S. copy as well, since I needed one for my website at launch).

I also ordered the History Channel Battles of Rome game for PSP. Got it from an American dealer for cheap. Ordering PAL is usually way expensive since it's hard to get games from the UK outside of ebay (due to some trade embargo). My Winter Sports and Superstars V8 games are from Germany actually, complete with USK ratings on the front and german text all over the back off the box. I can order games off of Amazon.de real easily (and real expensively) but Amazon.co.uk won't allow it.
    There is no trade embargo. Publishers have asked Amazon to restrict video game sales to the particular regions they are intended to be released in and Amazon has respected it for the most part. There are tons of UK on-line retailers that ship UK games to the US including HMV and Game.UK, the two largest retailers. Buying from the UK is actually not too expensive for most titles, but I would only recommend it for exclusives not released here.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The european version of Ico for ps2 has added content not in the US or JPN release....For me it depends on the game, researching it, and finding out whatever is the best release worldwide and if I really care that much to get that release (from wherever)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    There is no trade embargo. Publishers have asked Amazon to restrict video game sales to the particular regions they are intended to be released in and Amazon has respected it for the most part. There are tons of UK on-line retailers that ship UK games to the US including HMV and Game.UK, the two largest retailers. Buying from the UK is actually not too expensive for most titles, but I would only recommend it for exclusives not released here.
    I tried a bunch of them that had worked for people on another forum and had absolutely no luck. Though I didn't try the two sites you suggested. One website still sends me their newsletter deals even though they won't send me their games. I'll keep an eye on those sites you mentioned.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DOAsaturn View Post
    I tried a bunch of them that had worked for people on another forum and had absolutely no luck. Though I didn't try the two sites you suggested. One website still sends me their newsletter deals even though they won't send me their games. I'll keep an eye on those sites you mentioned.
    I import UK games on a monthly basis and other than Amazon and a couple of other sites, almost every retailer will ship to the US. Not sure which sites you've been using, but I've never had much of a problem.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
    Most every system has some PAL-only releases. That's what I generally go for, although sometimes the different artwork can be a kick for multi-region releases.
    This. On the NES front, aside from PAL exclusives, you get interesting variant artwork and even different names. Mostly a curiosity but still nice to compare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse612 View Post
    Side Note - This goes for greatest hits (US), and Platinum Hits (JPN) as well - What's the point in wanting these versions if you own the original from said county??
    Because these versions sometimes add extra content. This was especially true during the PS2 days when the greatest hits release of Silent Hill 3, Virtual Fighter 4 and Devil May Cry 3(as well as others) had additional content not available in the original version.

As for PAL games, I use to collect them during the PS1 days but recently have decided to sell off all my PAL collection. I sold my massive collection of PAL demos not that long ago and have just sold my last remaining game. Because of the difference in tv settings during the PS1 era and earlier I don't have any real reasons to collect PAL games(besides for exclusives). Like you I mainly only collect US and JP editions these days.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sometimes 60hz is just too many.

I live in PAL land, I like having info in a bunch of languages on the cases. I think it looks pretty cool.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also live in PAL land.

I would say 80% of my collection is PAL. The only consoles I stick to NTSC for are Neo Geo and the Saturn.

The main focus of my collecting is PAL Megadrive games. It was my first console so my collection began in 1992 and never stopped.

My Megadrives are modded, therefore I can play all my games in 60hz. It's purely a cosmetic thing. I grew up with PAL Megadrive carts and think they look a million times better than American carts. Both artwork and overall box presentation. And don't get me started on the name 'Genesis'.. Plus I have a thing about collecting rarer titles..there just seem to be more of them in the PAL format than US NTSC. (Megaman Wiley Wars, Alien Soldier, Daze Before Christmas, etc)

The odd title might have some actual differences (Like Castlevania: The New Generation being censored), but in the majority of cases they're the exact same.

It's an availability thing too. People in America are going to find NTSC games in their local charity shops. I find PAL games. It would cost me an absolute fortune to try and build up a collection purely in NTSC as I'd have to import everything from either the US or Asia.
    Last edited by o1s1n; 08-15-2010 at 05:47 PM.