Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games that definitely suck, but you really want to like

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games that definitely suck, but you really want to like

I think we all have a couple of games that are beyond saving (they are BAAAAD) but there are bits and pieces that are good so you desperately try to like them.

My game like this Lord of the Rings Book 1 (SNES). Probably one of the worst RPGs I've ever played (not quite as a bad as Hillsfar on the NES).

Unfortunately, it has some really, really great audio and while the graphics are bad the animation is fairly good; when you attack things it actually LOOKS like you are attacking (not just one animation frame of your character holding out a sword). So, the game feels like a terrific waste of terrific ambiance (I do love how much detail was put into things like grass that actually sways, ambient sound effects like dripping water and wind).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Silent Hill 4: The Room I'm one of the biggest Silent Hill fans out there, but the series really jumped the shark with the release of this game. It's got just enough Silent Hill atmosphere to make me want to finish it, but it does way too many things wrong. They should have just kept the game a separate project, independent of the series, which is how it started out. If it didn't have the name Silent Hill in the title I'd have probably loved it.

Alone in the Dark 2: One-Eyed Jack's Revenge was one of my earliest let downs as sequels go. The original on the 3DO was my first survival horror game. It introduced me to the genre and I absolutely loved every minute of it. When I got around to playing the crappy sequel I couldn't believe how terrible it was. Even still today after The New Nightmare, the terrible Uve Boll movie, and the current gen installment (which I haven't played yet, but am told is pretty bad), I'm hoping again hope that they'll produce another AITD experience that comes close to the quality of the original game.

Kolibri for the 32X is another one. I was really excited about this title was I first heard about it, but when I actually played it I put it down within minutes and haven't touched it since (except to dust). Maybe it's better than I remember though; I don't know. I'll have to give it another shot one of these days.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

We had threads like this before. But I'm happilly in before the lock, and will be everytime a new one show up, just do redeclare (is that a real word?) my unconditional love for Heavy Nova (GEN), that steaming piece of shit.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Despite its SUCKYNESS i always enjoyed DRAGON BALL GT FINAL BOUT for Playstation.

The movements were awful, slow and didn't have a combo system .... the flying mode sucked ... and the Japanese intro song was cut ....

There was something about the graphics that captured the magic of the characters that made me love it. Every time i charged my energy it felt pretty cool.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Link: The Faces of Evil.

Yep the animations are laughable, the music is cheese and the gameplay is stiff as a board, but I just can't help it, the game has a charm I can't deny. I go back to it and have beaten it about a dozen times even though I know it stinks, something odd attracts me to it, maybe cause it is like a short dose of platforming done a bit differently.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best I can do is Clay Fighter. It's not a very good fighting game, the music is mediocre (aside from the main theme, which rules), and it seems like a lot of corners were cut (even on the Tournament Edition, which is nonetheless a slight improvement). But the huge sprites (huge for SNES, anyway) look quite good, and the characters and voices have a charm that makes me love it overall.

None of this applies to C2: Judgement Clay though. That game just sucks.

Hey, watch the hair, man.

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Way of the Warrior (3DO)...'nuff said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I'd have to go with Crash of the Titans, on the PSP. Although I wasn't expecting much from a Crash Bandicoot game that wasn't made by Naughty Dog, I admit the game was actually not too bad; the ability to jack the large enemies (Allowing you to directly control them) was pretty cool, and the controlls where smooth like Cortex Strikes Back before it.

However, the one thing that kept me from finishing it was that it lacked the same charm that the original Crash trilogy had; expecially in the fact that they actually allowed Crash to speak this time around (To be honest, he sounds retarded). Still, had this not been a Crash game, I probably would have finished it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

Any of the RE games before 4 and 5, I fucking hated the camera system.
    League of Legends referral link:
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4be72d0a12a60
    ^^ DotA players click the link ^^

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Silent Hill 4: The Room I'm one of the biggest Silent Hill fans out there, but the series really jumped the shark with the release of this game. It's got just enough Silent Hill atmosphere to make me want to finish it, but it does way too many things wrong. They should have just kept the game a separate project, independent of the series, which is how it started out. If it didn't have the name Silent Hill in the title I'd have probably loved it.
    Thats kind of how I feel about Metroid Prime 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Power Moves for SNES.

Could have made a decent game, but it's pretty lame especially considering it came out months after SNES SF II.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Jisho23 View Post
    I think we all have a couple of games that are beyond saving (they are BAAAAD) but there are bits and pieces that are good so you desperately try to like them.

My game like this Lord of the Rings Book 1 (SNES). Probably one of the worst RPGs I've ever played (not quite as a bad as Hillsfar on the NES).

Unfortunately, it has some really, really great audio and while the graphics are bad the animation is fairly good; when you attack things it actually LOOKS like you are attacking (not just one animation frame of your character holding out a sword). So, the game feels like a terrific waste of terrific ambiance (I do love how much detail was put into things like grass that actually sways, ambient sound effects like dripping water and wind).
    unfortunately, the SNES one blows, and the PC version does not.

it got kinda the same treatment as Ultima VI and VII when they hit SNES.

and what, noone mentioned Hydlide?!?!!
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I have to agree wholeheartedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That Transformers game for NES. One of the first games I tried when I discovered NES emulation. Why, well it was the only Transformers title for a long time

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

GOD HAND.

Awesome style. Godfuckingawful control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribal Deity View Post
    Way of the Warrior (3DO)...'nuff said.
    Oh GOD yes! In spite of how bad it is, it never fails to get a smile out of people, even people like me who have to play it dozens of times just to show other people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    unfortunately, the SNES one blows, and the PC version does not.

it got kinda the same treatment as Ultima VI and VII when they hit SNES.

and what, noone mentioned Hydlide?!?!!
    Sry about the double post:

Yeah, true, but Ultima VI on the SNES was still a playable (I dare say enjoyable?) game. And if I REALLY wanted to point out a game that went from decent to COMPLETELY worthless on console I would have pointed out Eye of the Beholder. I gave that game way too much of my time before I realized its not just me, the game sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I loved Silent Hill 4, but it must be given a chance. It has to be taken not as a Silent Hill game, but a different game entirely. If you try to compare it to Silent Hill, you may not like the game, but as a different entity, it rocks. I also love the ending song. But it takes time to get used to.

For me, I have to say Evil Dead: A Fistfull of Boomstick. I really, REALLY want to like the game. But the battle system is terrible in so many ways, it's not funny. But every time I play it, I try my best to give it a chance.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Gunvalkyrie is another one. Worst controls ever.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Chex Quest (PC)
    Double Dragon III (GEN)
    Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (GEN)