Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games that definitely suck, but you really want to like

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Time Lord for NES. Awesome premise and music, but the gameplay is crap, and the boss with the sombrero makes no sense. Sometimes you can defeat him, but most of the time you can't (Time always runs out!).

Should of added a current boss lifebar, RARE...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Wartech: Senko no Ronde (360)
    Dark Cloud 2 (PS2)
    Last Battle (Genesis)
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    \
    Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (GEN)

Anyway, the game for me would probably be...Pokemon Heart Gold. I wanted to like it, looked like a great game. Played it, then after a few days it was just....boring old Pokemon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Valkeryie profile , but I never wanted to like it
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I'm amazed nobody has pulled this one out yet - modern Sonic games. From Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog '06, and Sonic Unleashed I try to find a reason to like them as much as Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, but they just don't seem as good to me. Sonic Heroes had me frustrated out of my mind in the last couple levels and Sonic '06 seemed very short. The other two I haven't played very much but everyone else says Sonic Adventure is still better than those.

As far as handhelds go, they're pretty much fine the way they are. Handheld Sonic never really had much expectations I guess because handheld gaming is more casual.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Monster Madness(360) I love the concept, and the attempt to pay homage to Zombies Ate My Neighbors. However the controls were really wonky, particularly any time you platformed and the vechicle controls were garbage.

Faussete Amour(PC Engine)
    This game appealed to me with its anime art style/cutscences, and I love sidescrollers. Then everything else ruins the game, like dull music, poor controls when trying to swing off platforms a la Bionic Commando, and cheap as hell bosses. I didn't even mind the two hit kill as much, since it reminded me of Ghouls and Ghosts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Subterranea. The concept is solid, the graphics and sound are great, but I just can't get behind the controls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Actually mine's a somewhat recent one - Onechanbara Bikini Samurai Squad.

Girls wearing bikinis and cowboy hats killing zombies with swords? How can you go wrong, right?

Boring, dull, uninspired. Not even worth playing through for achievements... I was so sad. I put 4 hours into it and gave up.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game that currently comes to mind for me is Vanishing Point (PS1/Dreamcast).

Before you know it, the difficulty gets so unforgiving that things get to a point where just one mistake - even a small crash - can screw you over for the entire race. It's pretty much impossible to get through a race without one of the AI opponents crashing into you and slowing you down - or worse. And the AI racers drive like it's Burnout. Nothing like finally getting through a tough first race only to get screwed over in the next one (or the one after that), forcing you to play through that first race again. Makes you wish you could pull a Burnout 3 and send your opponents flying off a cliff or into a guardrail.

There's no difficulty setting to make things a little bit easier, and since I don't like breaking my Dreamcast controllers, I just gave up. Would have liked to unlock that early 90s Taurus so I could race like I'm Conan O'Brien, but that won't be happening.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade_Ness View Post
    Faussete Amour(PC Engine)
    This game appealed to me with its anime art style/cutscences, and I love sidescrollers. Then everything else ruins the game, like dull music, poor controls when trying to swing off platforms a la Bionic Commando, and cheap as hell bosses. I didn't even mind the two hit kill as much, since it reminded me of Ghouls and Ghosts.
    I like that game, but the music leaves a shit load to be desired. It doesnt fit the game at all.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay......how about any and all of those Agetec rpgs from the PS2's launch day? Summoner, Evergrace, Eternal Ring etc......might as well toss in King's Field too. They are SO compelling in their shitiness that I simply HAVE to play and finish them all....just to say that I did.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Actually mine's a somewhat recent one - Onechanbara Bikini Samurai Squad.

Girls wearing bikinis and cowboy hats killing zombies with swords? How can you go wrong, right?

Boring, dull, uninspired. Not even worth playing through for achievements... I was so sad. I put 4 hours into it and gave up.
    With a premise like that, you were expecting depth?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Final Fantasy 12. I've only played it one time for about six hours and loved everything about it except the battle system. First 30 minutes of the game and I was like. Finally! This is the Final Fantasy I've been waiting for(since I disliked FF10 and FF11, though did enjoy 10-2 for gameplay only.) The graphics are just beautiful, areas are well done, open but still enclosed to not go off track, the music is amazing, considering how good the main composer is, the storyline for what I've seen was actually really good, and up to that point, everything in the game was enjoyable. The guild system and Montblanc making an appearance were probably my favorite things.

So to the battle system. What I didn't like about it is that you can't control your characters. You can "technically" control them, but there's the catch. Pressing O opens up the battle menu. You start on your first character so you then choose your character to do which action, so a second button press before you can choose your actions. If you want to go to a different character outside your main character you must hit, O down or up to that character. Now when you see that it doesn't sound that bad, but just say about every single action you have to do that. Per character. You're technically forced to use Gambits unless you want to take an overly long time to just enter each action, most of which will be attack.

Another problem is an action is taken before the ATB fills up. You take an action and once your ATB fills up but at that time you might need to heal, or even your Gambits might kick in to heal if you have your characters set up with Gambits. Instead of the bar filling up with the new action, it completely restarts the ATB and you have to wait again. Why couldn't they have made it so that the bar fills up then the action is done whatever the best action at the time would be for both Gambits or whatever the player wanted to choose.

The last thing is the skill system. Ever since the sphere grid Squaresoft seems to have such a major boner about expanded multi directional skill system. The job board is nothing more than open version of the sphere grid. So everyone can be the same as everyone else faster. However there are the quickenings that are the only things that will differentiate characters.

So yeah. The thing that ruins the game for me is its gameplay system in its entirety.

I've yet to give the game a second chance but I always back the game up on some aspects because other than the battle system it has a lot of good qualities. First impression(and that's only a six hour impression) is the game failed to keep my interest due to the battle system. Maybe whenever I play it again I'll be able to enjoy the game for what it is, but it was something that bothered me.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-11-2010 at 12:39 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    Okay......how about any and all of those Agetec rpgs from the PS2's launch day? Summoner, Evergrace, Eternal Ring etc......might as well toss in King's Field too. They are SO compelling in their shitiness that I simply HAVE to play and finish them all....just to say that I did.
    I bought my PS2 along with four games, The Bouncer, Oni, Summoner, and Armored Core 2. Of those four, only AC2 was any good, I ended up taking the other three back to exchange them for another game. I think it was Silent Hill 2 or Gran Turismo 3.

For older games, I would say Ultima Warriors of Destiny on the NES. I like the game on the PC, why was the NES port such a POS?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    Summoner was developed and released by THQ. Evergrace, Eternal Ring, and King's Field were all released in the US by Agetec. Summoner sucked though. Not only was the gameplay crap, but it had some pretty bad load times and glitches. Summoner 2 looks better, but never played it due to the first.

Evergrace is an amazing game, I've beaten it atleast 10 times, both stories, and I've always enjoyed it. Solid gameplay, difficulty, great music, and good level design. Story is hardly there but it doesn't suck. Forever Kingdom/Evergrace 2 is even better, so if you have enjoyed Evergrace at all you'd like this game.

I've always enjoyed King's Field ever since the first game(or second since King's Field is actually King's Field 2.) Eternal Ring and Shadow Tower are games with the same gameplay.

I wanted Demon's Souls solely because of how much I liked FromSoftware games because the games never disappointed me. Except Tenchu. Tenchu sucks, but then again, I dislike stealth games, so MGS too is a series I'm not a fan of.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-11-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thom_m View Post
    We had threads like this before. But I'm happilly in before the lock, and will be everytime a new one show up, just do redeclare (is that a real word?) my unconditional love for Heavy Nova (GEN), that steaming piece of shit.
    That's my vote for worst game of all time. What could you possibly like about it?
    To stick with the theme, I loved Zero Tolerance on the Genesis. I didn't care for a second that all the action takes place on about 1/5 of the screen!

(And I love King's Field/Eternal Ring)
    Last edited by davepesc; 04-11-2010 at 01:38 PM.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to have to go with TMNT for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Yes, the game is very cheap at times and downright spiteful- but with enough practice and knowledge of all the tricks (like exiting the van to make the bulldozers disappear) you can get very far. Still haven't beaten it but I am playing it once again.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ConsoleAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really wanted to like Mighty Bomb Jack for the NES. I loved Bomb Jack in the arcade but the direction they took for the home version over at Tecmo was a bad one. You can't play a platform game with the floaty controls and clueless gameplay. Too many times you die because you couldn't control MBJ properly. Also, you didn't know what you were supposed to do sometimes.

How about that "You're too greedy! You must be punished!" BS? That killed any interest in playing the game.

I bought the game from the VC when I bought my first Wii and tried to get into it again. Could not enjoy it. Well, at least it only cost 500 points.

Last Battle was another one. Such beautiful graphics and such rancid gameplay. That title screams "launch title".
    Last edited by ConsoleAddict; 04-12-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gulp... Deadly Towers. I thought it had such cool artwork and the game music wasn't too either back then so I played it quite a bit but it was so damn hard, there was no in game maps, and there were annoying enemies everywhere even in secret bonus rooms. The game could have been the next Zelda if it wasn't so unforgiving.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I'm gonna ripped on for this but Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest is definitely my choice.

I remember being really excited about this game coming out since the original Castlevania was one of my favorite NES games. Then when it finally came out and I popped it into my NES, I was like...

I tried giving this game so many chances and to this day I still think just about everything the Angry Video Game Nerd says is pretty accurate.