Thread: list of useless accessories?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I would say the Sega Nomad battery pack, unless you like killing full packs of brand new batteries daily. It's better to take the nomad places where you can plug it in the wall, like motels, friend's houses, your house, backyard w/ extension cord etc.

Unless you mod it and replace the backlight with a more energy efficient one.

Here's another - The Commodore VIC-20 modem. Who's going to connect their phone through a VIC-20 these days?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gamelord2000

The NES U-Force to me is the absolute worst accessory ever made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Besides the already mentioned PSOne uses, it also allows you to archive PS2 saves. Say you have a card full of saves for something like RPG's that you want to save and need some room on your memory card, you can transfer those to even non PS2 compatible PS3's for storage to save them for transferring back at a later date.
    Yep I do this. I backup my 3 ps2 memory cards about once a month to my ps3. This has already come in handy when one of my ps2 memory cards got corrupted. I had all the data backed up so a potentially horrible situation was easily fixed because of this adapter.
    youtube= http://www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
    blog= www.gamespot.com/users/lazyhoboguy/
    My Game Collection= http://lazyhoboguy.webs.com

PS2 Online and PS2 LAN Tunneling (Xlink Kai) game scheduling site:http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PentiumMMX View Post
    Mario Kart is compatible with it? I heard that the games had to be specially programmed to use it, and the only games that where compatible where Pokémon FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald; you had to use standard link cables for everything else.

Well, at least the official, Nintendo-made one is like that. Maybe you got a 3rd party one that has far greater compatibility, and as a result, is far more useful.
    I recall playing Shining Soul 1/2, River City Ransom EX etc too, with Nintendo brand and third party and mixed. They work just like the link cables AFAIK. I'm actually still looking for 2 of the Micro Wireless Links... Damn, I'm going to have to dig this stuff out for a test now. It's been a while.

Range kinda sucks (10-15ft), but not as much as a 3-4 foot cable does.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-11-2010 at 04:02 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin View Post
    To clarify, Super Scope is the name of the SNES light gun, and Super Scope 6 was the name of the game that was bundled with said light gun...there was a lot more support for the Super Scope than just one game. Yoshi's Safari, X-Zone, Revolution X, T2...all in all, there were about 12 or so games made for it.
    I actually enjoyed Battle Clash. Although that was the only game I liked playing with the Super Scope.

Yea, I just backed up my PS2 saves on my PS3 also and I have a slim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    -R.O.B. (unless you have comlete copies of Stack Up or Gyromite.... And even then, you don't need ROB, just someone who will operate the second controller).
    -Superscope 6 (only one game released for it, and it sucked... Sega had a similar product that flopped just as hard)
    -The Gameboy Printer (I know they fetch a good deal of cash, but they were completely useless. And you knew from the day it was first released that Nintendo would drop support for it after about 6 weeks.)
    I actually thought the gameboy printer was cool when it came out. If you had a gameboy camera it let you print out the pictures you took.
    youtube= http://www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
    blog= www.gamespot.com/users/lazyhoboguy/
    My Game Collection= http://lazyhoboguy.webs.com

PS2 Online and PS2 LAN Tunneling (Xlink Kai) game scheduling site:http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I recall playing Shining Soul 1/2, River City Ransom EX etc too, with Nintendo brand and third party and mixed. They work just like the link cables AFAIK. I'm actually still looking for 2 of the Micro Wireless Links... Damn, I'm going to have to dig this stuff out for a test now. It's been a while.

Range kinda sucks (10-15ft), but not as much as a 3-4 foot cable does.
    If it works for Mario Kart, do these work when attached to a Game Boy Player?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Almost all of those Wiimote shells are completely useless. The only ones I could see any marginal use for are the ones that serve as a grip for when you use it NES-style.

I remember when the original GBA was around, there were a zillion little light attachments to illuminate the screen. I tried many, and they were all completely useless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

eReader for GBA & Powerglove for NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I remember when the original GBA was around, there were a zillion little light attachments to illuminate the screen. I tried many, and they were all completely useless.
    There were quite a few of those available for the GBC as well, and I'm sure most of them weren't any better.

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    eReader for GBA
    Not if you have any of the Super Mario Advance 4: SMB 3 level cards, or the NES ports that weren't included in the Classic NES Series later on (imo, the best ones available are: Donkey Kong Jr, Donkey Kong 3, Pinball, Clu Clu Land, and Balloon Fight).

Also, imo, the Power Glove only has one real use - as an interesting conversation piece should you have it on display in your game room.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    If it works for Mario Kart, do these work when attached to a Game Boy Player?
    It's looking like we were both half-correct. My bad half was poor recollection. After trying out some games again, it is the third-party units that act like link cables. They even work with the MiniSD Supercard I have... Something the Nintendo brand won't do on my set up, even on listed supported games.

It's a somewhat rare occurrence, but the first-party units do indeed blow. The cheapo third-party units have much more utility, and operate as link cables. Even if they do look like crap compared to the official units, they actually work... Nearly anything that has two-game pak link mode will run fine on those. Single pak seems to be hit and miss though. I can send small NES games through the third party ones via Supercard/PocketNES, but I can't do it with the NES Classic carts.

Trying to figure out all of this I found I have more than 6... 4 third's and 5 Nintendo. I got the third party adapters when they were on clearance at Target about ~5 years ago or more. Think they were ~$5 each. I accumulated the Nintendo ones over time since then from Gamestops for $3 each. I assumed they all did the same thing.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-12-2010 at 04:57 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I would say the Sega Nomad battery pack, unless you like killing full packs of brand new batteries daily. It's better to take the nomad places where you can plug it in the wall, like motels, friend's houses, your house, backyard w/ extension cord etc.

Unless you mod it and replace the backlight with a more energy efficient one.
    I use my battery pack with NiMH's. Works fine. But yeah, AC is still the best way to go.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Third party memory cards are now useless on 360's because Microsoft disabled them thru an update earlier this year.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll add one - any classic light guns on if you use an HDTV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Sega Activator - 1 game supported this?

Victormaxx Stuntmaster - While having a wearable screen was cool in 1994, the viciously low res and terrible build quality quickly made for headaches and nose-aches. Virtual Reality my ass.

Superscope had a decent amount of support, how about Sega's Menacer? AFAIK only the 6game pack-in and T2 worked with that. IMO the menacer LOOKED way cooler, though.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Compute View Post
    Sega Activator - 1 game supported this?
    Actually several games did, including Streets of Rage 3 (which I can't imagine attempting). I could be wrong, but I think the Activator potentially worked with any game, with movements mapped to the regular buttons (like DDR dance pads).

That said, it's still useless.

Superscope had a decent amount of support, how about Sega's Menacer? AFAIK only the 6game pack-in and T2 worked with that. IMO the menacer LOOKED way cooler, though.
    Several FMV-based light gun shooters for Sega CD supported the Menacer. But since they were crap, yeah, it's kind of useless. Still, the Menacer cartridge was kind of cool, and I thought the gun itself was better than the Super Scope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Xbox 360 power button
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually the SuperScope worked great with the SNES Terminator game based off the arcade game.