Thread: Game's Original Pack In's - Toss em' or strive to get them? - Collectors, Speak up!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game's Original Pack In's - Toss em' or strive to get them? - Collectors, Speak up!!

From promotional booklets to registration cards! Me, being a true collector, I strive to get them when I see them, however, sometimes it is VERY difficult, if not almost impossible. If you are confused as to what I'm talking about, I'm referring to the included paperwork that came with games when you bought them new (not the instruction manuel). It has been my observation that normally things like this go straight to the garbage can, however some people tend to keep them.

For complete CONSOLES, I strive to get them, as in my eyes it only increases their value (not that I'd ever sell them).

For complete GAMES, it is much harder with the older releases (like the Saturn), as I am assuming even in a brand new copy "straight from the factory", were sometimes not included.

Is it worth breaking the bank when a "new" copy shows up with them included? What do you guys think? Video game collectors, tell me what you think!
    Last edited by Apocalypse612; 04-11-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, a 'complete' game for me is just the game, box/case and manual, as those are the most important pieces in a game (for me at least). I'm not really too concerned about the registration card, user's manual, etc. However, if the game originally included a map/poster or other bonus, then yes, I would expect that to be with a game if it is listed as 'complete'.

Whenever I purchased a new game, I always keep everything with it and whenever I sell a game, I always note whether or not it includes the inserts/warranty card etc, because I know that some people care about that.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I send the registration cards and other enclosures to VGA to have them graded.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yes. I spent $$$ to get Saturn Mystaria Character Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse612 View Post
    From promotional booklets to registration cards! Me, being a true collector, I strive to get them when I see them, however, sometimes it is VERY difficult, if not almost impossible. If you are confused as to what I'm talking about, I'm referring to the included paperwork that came with games when you bought them new (not the instruction manuel). It has been my observation that normally things like this go straight to the garbage can, however some people tend to keep them.

For complete CONSOLES, I strive to get them, as in my eyes it only increases their value (not that I'd ever sell them).

For complete GAMES, it is much harder with the older releases (like the Saturn), as I am assuming even in a brand new copy "straight from the factory", were sometimes not included.

Is it worth breaking the bank when a "new" copy shows up with them included? What do you guys think? Video game collectors, tell me what you think!

Yes. I spent $$$ to get complete, mint set of Saturn Mystaria Character Cards. But these weren't "pack-in", they were "send off for" items.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually toss it. The amount of crap that comes with DS games these days is amazing.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think its great if there there, especially the fold out posters in the snes and genesis games are great, but you can't really tell what came with a particular game so it would be hard to say hey its how it was when i opened it. I just figure if it comes with em great, if not then I make sure the box, manual, game, and extras parts ( that came with every game) like end caps (snes), or foam pieces ( original psx longbox, saturn sega cd) are all there and I am good.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I look for them and will pay a very slight premium. I won't pay that much more for them though. I'd never throw them out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

If I get the game with them they will stay in, but I don't really care and don't go out of my way to track them down.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Tsukinikawatte's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans View Post
    Sorry, but what does that do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

I keep whatever comes with my new game purchases. The case, manual, and game are all I need as far as used purchases go. Spine cards are another story; I'll pay a bit extra to have them for "ultra" completeness. They aren't integral to my collection though.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Storyteller's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shapples

Box, manual, and cart/disc are good enough for me. If it happens to have any little extras with it, like Nintendo Power subscription cards or anything like that, I love to have them, but it's not a requirement.

Still wish I could have won that Castlevania 3 contest to go to Dracula's Hometown . Did anyone ever actually win that thing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

For me its important that a game is 100% complete if it is for my collection.

I try to keep my collection very compact and minty. Part of the history of a game is told by the paper work that comes with it, I feel that a game that only includes the box and manual is too plain ....

Waterworld for Atari 2600 is a very nice expample, it includes a comic book and a flyer with the details of the contest the game was made for. It transports you to that years ...

Earthbound is very nice too, includes a few promo flyers and wonderful art.

etc etc
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Nintendo wi-fi connection booklets and the small black-covered 'please read' booklets hit the bin as soon as they come out of it. I usually save the flyers though, I've been planning a project for a while whereby I'd take all the ones I've saved- and believe me, there's tons of it- and stick it to four sheets of A1 paper as a kind-of gaming uber-collage. Don't bother with registration cards but I will preserve spine cards from Japanese games for the most part.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TheCaptainniatpac's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

I think that the box, addons (if any came with it), the insturctions and the game should be in a box with no stains or or no 'wavy' spine. If it's like that, i'd go ahead and just buy it. Oh, and includes the other pack-in games in the same condition.
    The Cap'nn'pac was here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always keep them if they are included but I do not pay premiums or go out of my way to find CIBs that are "100% complete" with ads and reg cards.

I also keep any receipts that come with a game. I don't think they add any value but it is always cool to see the exact purchase date of a game in your collection.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans View Post
    You are a sly one! Everyone throws them out, so they are probably going to be worth the most. Worship the scarcity! BOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukinikawatte View Post
    Sorry, but what does that do?
    It prints money.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll go to several gamestops to at least get original Manual and Case for disc based games.

Gamecube a real trick, managed to find all this for Animal Crossing:
    Case
    Cover
    Manual
    Game Disc
    Health Warning
    Animal Crossing Nintendo Power Ad
    Animal Crossing DS Ad
    Animal Crossing Memory Card
    Animal Crossing Sticker
    Animal Crossing Web Ad
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Insert Coin (Level 0) Lorfarius's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Lorfarius1

My main focus is a cart only set of UKV and GBR coded NES games which all have to be in good condition. I gave up on the boxes because I didn't think it wsa doable with some of the rarer games and I wouldn't want to touch them once I had these mint boxes.

Best to stick with carts that will get played I thought yet there is a series of UK released Codemasters not many that came out which I've decided to go for fully boxed with instructions and leaflets in good to new condition. It's a right pain to be honest and proving to be very difficult.
    Last edited by Lorfarius; 09-07-2010 at 08:04 AM.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ever since I began buying N64 games I have kept everything that has come with the game. All inserts have been kept unless there was some damage or loss not committed by myself. I won't go out of my way for complete games I am trying to collect and am just fine with box/cart/manual. The extras are nice, but not a must-have.

I also agree, some of the inserts in today's games are getting a little absurd (but I still keep them all...).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

If you collect Japanese games this is possible...