Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best tv for NES/SNES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best tv for NES/SNES

I've been slightly confused with regards to classic systems and tvs.I've got a 32" Samsung LCD HDTV and the picture quality on the SNES isn't that great. I'm going to buy a CRT tv. I was wondering if it'll make a difference if it's analog or digital? Is there a particular brand of tv I should look out for? I haven't the slightest clue who made good CRT tvs.

I want to get the tv before I begin snes collecting.

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

a 1992 Sony Trinitron XBR with detachable speakers and a top mounted subwoofer! Curved surface ensures light guns work perfectly!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No offense to FxMercenary, but at least get a flat front CRT, none of the curved face tubes. Then make sure it has the connections in the back that you want to hook in to. Sony makes great sets.
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Are you using the S-Video cables for the Super NES, and is the video free of the "checkerboard" artifacting inherent in low-quality cables?
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW View Post
    Are you using the S-Video cables for the Super NES, and is the video free of the "checkerboard" artifacting inherent in low-quality cables?
    Even using a Monster S-video cable (with no composite output), I still get checkerboard artifacts on my LCD. It kinda irks me. In any case, the LCD handles interlaced video terribly no matter what settings I use, and fast motion onscreen actually causes the video signal to lag and jump around. So I went and got a $20 14" CRT at Goodwill, which is working for my purposes, even though I can only use composite input, and I'm using separate speakers for stereo.

But yeah, if I had the money, I'd definitely get a largeish flat-screen CRT (actually, hell, if I had the money, I'd get a monitor that accepts RGB and use that :P ).

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fatalstar64's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Fatalstar64

I don't really mind it as it only happens when the screen is extremely dark so I'm fine with my 26 inch Samsung lcd. Happens rarely within the actual games. It does look better however than other old tv's colors especially I plugged into an old TV to compare and it's much worse overall. I also notice that if you use an RF adapter it looks like absolute crap compared to the composite cables. Does anyone know of an LCD that does not artifact at all?

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Last edited by Orion Pimpdaddy; 09-11-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought it was only LCD tv's that light guns didn't work on?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MASTER KEEDO

Late model Sony crts from the early 2000s are your best bet. I would stay away from any sony crt that has a built-in digital tuner since they lack many features and inputs that those without the digital tuners have. I agree with FXmercenary that the curved tube tvs are great, but it is much more difficult to find a quality one nowadays. I will list some of the more important things to look for and those to stay away from.

1. Convergence: Check the screen for any color separation, particularly around the edges. Convergence issues are very difficult to fix and usually require opening the back of the tv. Poor convergence is usually due to changes in the posistion of the CRT yoke (the mechanism that puts the image on the screen) from wedges that tend fall out over time. This is not that big of a problem for Sony tvs 32 inch and up since they have convergence controls in the service menu.

2. Darker screens are better than lighter screens: You need to look at the screen while the tv is off. The darker the screen the deeper the black level of the tv will be. Lighter screens make the darkest blacks look grey. If you take a look at several crts in a pawn shop, you'll know what I mean. This is often overlooked.

3. Inputs: Good crts will have at least two composite inputs, one S-video input, and an analog audio out. Some later model sonys have component video (a major plus).

4. Geometry: This is the most common problem of a crt and no crt has perfect geometry. Try to look for any image bowing or lines that are not straight. Many geometry issues can be corrected in the service menu, but research this thourghly before attempting.

5. Contrast and Brightness: Pay particular attention to the change from dark to bright scenes and look for any blooming or expanding images during this transition. If this occurs, it could be due to a weak power supply or short someone on the board. Stay away from tvs with this problem.

Pay attention to these five points.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by rpepper9 View Post
    No offense to FxMercenary, but at least get a flat front CRT, none of the curved face tubes.
    What's your issue with curved tubes exactly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    A CRT with a curved screen and an s-video connection in the back. I have heard that CRTs with flat screens don't read the light guns. Also, the highest possible SNES connection is s-video, so that's why I mention that.
    They were wrong, it has nothing to do with light guns working or not. Things like the NES Zapper work just fine on my flatscreen CRT's.

Of course, I'd still say get a curved screen because I've never seen a flatscreen CRT that didn't have significant geometry issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Xomoi View Post
    Inputs: Good crts will have at least two composite inputs, one S-video input, and an analog audio out. Some later model sonys have component video (a major plus).
    Plenty of non Sony CRT's have component inputs too. They basically became an industry standard during the last 5 years or so of SD CRT production for anything except budget sets in the ~13" range (Even then, they sometimes had them) and the combination VHS or DVD CRT sets.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-13-2010 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my toastes NES and SNES look awesome on my LCD 46". I use av for nes and svideo for snes

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    A CRT with a curved screen and an s-video connection in the back. I have heard that CRTs with flat screens don't read the light guns. Also, the highest possible SNES connection is s-video, so that's why I mention that.
    Already been said here, but flat tube TVs alone work fine with light guns.

I think only the hi-def tube TVs will not work with a light gun.

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This has an amazing picture with NES games!

Too bad it only has RF in the back.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would suggest a CRT monitor with warm chocolate puddn'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This has been gone over and over and over again. Basically the general consensus has been that a Sony Trinitron Wega preferably a 32"-36" is about the best quality that you can get without going to LCD. It is a flat screen though, which does have a better picture, but your light gun games on the SNES and NES won't work (have not personally verified that). It's got S-Video and Component Inputs on the back (your modern consoles will look good on it too) If you don't care to play Duck Hunt much, the flat screen is a non issue.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    This has an amazing picture with NES games!

Too bad it only has RF in the back.
    The SharpNES has the most 'authentic' NES picture I feel.

I personally have an HD-CRT, it's a JVC I'Art set, 34" I think. It upconverts the image some and I prfer it to a conventional CRT. Not all HD-Crt's give a good image with retro-consoles, but I think I hit the jackpot. They seem impossible to find.

I also like my Sony PVM-2530, which I purchased for RGB, but the NES looks well on it in composite.

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

Quote Originally Posted by rpepper9 View Post
    No offense to FxMercenary, but at least get a flat front CRT, none of the curved face tubes. Then make sure it has the connections in the back that you want to hook in to. Sony makes great sets.
    Sorry but I have light gun games, and they dont work very well, if at all on flat screen CRT televisions. Virtua cop was all over the place on my Sony flat screen CRT.

That and flats aren't very Retro in my retro gaming room. Pics below

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Never had any issues here with light guns on flat screen standard definition CRT's. If there was a widespread problem, I don't understand why I've been unaffected unless the NES Zapper is more tolerant of them.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NES, Master System, and Saturn light gun games all work perfectly on my 27" flat screen CRT. Not sure why people keep saying they don't work. Mine is an Akai (actually a rebadged Samsung), and it's been absolutely PERFECT for retro games. I will be hanging onto it for a very long time (in fact, I have an HDTV I wouldn't mind getting rid of, but will still be holding onto this TV).

It has several composite inputs, S-video, and even Component inputs, plus a "squeeze" mode for full resolution 16:9 content. It has great color and geometry that's about as good as a CRT can get.

I think I bought it somewhere around 2001, so I would shoot for a TV from that era. It's pretty much where standard definition CRTs peaked, before the onslaught of HD and LCD.
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]