Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best tv for NES/SNES

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    Already been said here, but flat tube TVs alone work fine with light guns.

I think only the hi-def tube TVs will not work with a light gun.
    But isn't there a issue with the Super Scope Gun and flat CRT TVs. AVGN talks about it and shows it in one of his episodes. I know he's not the best source for knowledge, but the video is here:

http://www.cinemassacre.com/2008/05/14/nes-accessories/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. My Samsung LN32B460 doesn't have an S-video input so that wouldn't be an option. I was a bit surprised by that myself but apparently S-video isn't on a lot of LCD's.

I just gave away a 32" Trinitron about a year ago. My god that thing was heavy, phew. I would want the zapper to work because I guess I'm OCD about it. So, the general consensus is a rounded CRT 27-32". Does it matter if the tv is digital or not? I think it would be hard to find a non-digital tv nowadays. I want to make sure I know exactly what I want before I put a wanted on craigslist.
    Last edited by majax79; 04-14-2010 at 09:15 AM.

Cherry (Level 1) Canadian Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 27 inch Panasonic Gaoo from 2007 and it's pretty good. However, I would prefer a flat screen... So, what's the consensus on Panasonic Tau models from the 2000s as far as gaming is concerned? (I'm partial to Panasonic as you can see, but reading about Sony Wegas, Trinitrons and the like has got me thinking about my "allegiance" to Panasonic as far as their CRTs go.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MASTER KEEDO

Panasonic made great crts and it sounds like you have one of them. It looks like the Gaoo was made to rival Sony's XBR series, which were there absolute top-of-the-line crts. If your tv has a good picture and no issues, I would keep it. You never know what kind of problems a used crt has. I would have no problem choosing a high end panasonic over a high end sony. Part of the reason Sonys are so popular is that they are easy to find.

As far as the Tau series, I generally would stay away from hd crts for classic gaming. They are great for high definition content, but still tend to make standard definition content look bad. Arguably the best hd crts were those with the Sony Super Fine Pitch tube. I have one, the sony kd-34xs955. SNES, Gamecube, Dreamcast look decent on it, but much better on a standard definition set. Even through component video(480p), standard definition content looks better on standard definition sets(480i). I may post some pictures later comparing SNES on my HD-CRT and on a good Sony standard definition CRT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slip81 View Post
    I would suggest a CRT monitor with warm chocolate puddn'
    I was wondering when I'd see that in this topic. Forgive me but does the whole "Warm chocolate puddin'" Thing have to do with Scart cables (AKA RGB?)

Austin

Cherry (Level 1) Canadian Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Xomoi View Post
    Panasonic made great crts and it sounds like you have one of them. It looks like the Gaoo was made to rival Sony's XBR series, which were there absolute top-of-the-line crts. If your tv has a good picture and no issues, I would keep it. You never know what kind of problems a used crt has. I would have no problem choosing a high end panasonic over a high end sony. Part of the reason Sonys are so popular is that they are easy to find.

As far as the Tau series, I generally would stay away from hd crts for classic gaming. They are great for high definition content, but still tend to make standard definition content look bad. Arguably the best hd crts were those with the Sony Super Fine Pitch tube. I have one, the sony kd-34xs955. SNES, Gamecube, Dreamcast look decent on it, but much better on a standard definition set. Even through component video(480p), standard definition content looks better on standard definition sets(480i). I may post some pictures later comparing SNES on my HD-CRT and on a good Sony standard definition CRT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 32" Sony Wega FD Trinitron which I purchased used strictly for use with older systems. It had severe geometry problems when I acquired it, but all were fixed using the system menu. It's a great set. I wouldn't settle for anything less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Commodore 1084S-D1.... ba-by, ba-by

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was running the Twin Famicom on a Plasma and it wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for running a 4:3 game in 16:9.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm picking up the KD-36XS955 this weekend, which many consider the pinnacle of HD CRT televisions. It is the best 4:3 HD CRT television ever made, and should make my retro games look great!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Theoretically it should be easier to judge distances and accuracy on a flat screen; in practice I've been playing everything on a moderately curved TV from about 1998 and everything is fine, from the NES / FC on up.

I suppose NES and older systems should suffer more from curvature, but it's obvious enough with simple systems that you can see it and forget it's there. It's probably the 3D consoles that are affected worst by distortion actually - again this is probably more than moderated by slow turning of stuff in most 3D games, you don't usually need to precisely judge distances much less distortion of objects on the sides of the screen.

It's worth avoiding fake "flat screens" - some monitors I've seen (and probably some TeeVees by extension) just put a flat glass in front of a curved monitor (Perfectflat was one of the brand names) and are nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by slip81 View Post
    I would suggest a CRT monitor with warm chocolate puddn'
    That's white chocolate pudding, you disgrace to the name of the saint.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by HyperDuel View Post
    I was running the Twin Famicom on a Plasma and it wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for running a 4:3 game in 16:9.
    Then don't

I've never heard of an HDTV that didn't have a setting that could be reached with the press of a button on the remote control to tell the television to preserve the aspect ratio it's being told to display.

It's only being stretched to fill the screen because you have the tv set to stretch 4:3 material.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FxMercenary View Post
    a 1992 Sony Trinitron XBR with detachable speakers and a top mounted subwoofer! Curved surface ensures light guns work perfectly!

does anyone have the model number of this tv? I have looked but cant seam to find it. I had seen one of these a few years ago and passed picking it up. I want the sub and all.

thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only place looking for model numbers will get you is spending too much on eBay. People don't usually advertise sets with the actual model numbers, you're lucky if they just mention the size and branding (Trinitron etc). Just try to find the best set you can, almost any Trinitron should do but if you just look at sets in a thrift shop you can usually spot the good ones.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a nice CRT now, I am looking for this one, not just any trinitron. The attached sub and satalite speakers is the thing i am looking for.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd also suggest a SMALL CRT. I'd actually say 27" is too large! I know because I have a flatscreen 27 inch Sony Wega... and I'd much rather play old school games on my smaller 21" Toshiba flatscreen.

Everything looks so much tighter and charming at that size. Also the "interlaced" look of the old games is not apparant on a small screen. Not just 8/16-bit... but even Playstation, Saturn, N64 games look far more tolerable on a small screen. It's even appropriate for PS2/Cube.

Bigger is not better... especially when we are talking about games that were created for a market of small TVs. Large setups just make it look wrong... and if you're buying a CRT for gaming in the first place, you want it to look right!

I recommend finding a small flatscreen CRT from the mid 2000s. They even have component inputs if you want to go all the way up to PS2/Cube/Xbox or Wii.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

here are 2 of the tv's I use right now.

This is my main 32inch JVC. Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, etc

This is what I usually hook my atari up to, Its a KMC 20inch old school.

Here is my desk with my xbox.

The NES does not look to great on the 32, but very much playable. The SNES shines on the 32. I just like the idea of the sub and extra speakers on the one that FxMercenary has.
    Last edited by lotec25; 06-19-2010 at 07:15 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't get this one:

Geometry issues, gross overscan, can't find a 100% working remote code... It has S-Video, component input, and composite output, but the overscan is terrible. NES is alright because the resolution starts a little more to the right (outside the overscan), but everything else sucks. It's alright on stuff that lets you adjust the picture, but that's not what I bought it for. Also, forget watching CNN or anything with a ticker at the bottom of the screen.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have had this TV for about 5 years now in my bedroom.

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/pr-D...rd_Televisions

I have it hooked up to my Snes, Gamecube, and PS2...My 360 is currently hooked up to it aswell [My Gf demanded I remove it from our 40 inch Hdtv..whole nother story there ].

Imo it looks great. The GC and Snes are hooked up via svideo and the quality is excellent. The colors are solid and do not bleed. The Ps2 I hooked up via component and again it looks really good. As for the 360, that of course is better left for Hdtv's...Though it did die on me last month with the Red ring shortly after moving it, so im unsure of how it looks on the 20 incher.

Bad things about it though...The composite is not good. Composite looks like RF on this tv. Svideo-Component is what this tv is intended for, and both look fantastic for SD content/systems. The built in speakers are better than most SD Tvs aswell...But i would still hook up everything to a seperate speaker set.
    Last edited by Peonpiate; 06-21-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We've got a MASSIVE 40" CRT in the basement that we use for SNES/PS2/ and DDR.

Here's an old pic of the gaming setup with our 27" TV before we upgraded. Need to get a new pic.