Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rarest PS2 Games

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    A game that puzzles me is Fantavision. Lousy game, launch day title (so the installed base is low), so you'd figure it would've had a short run, and yet it's still for sale *everywhere* (at $10). Can't give the thing away (I still haven't got one).
    You see it everywhere for the same reason you see huge piles of almost every other PS2 launch title -- because third parties manufactured tons of games in anticipation of huge sales, and were badly burned by the PS2 "hardware shortage." Also, the only two PS2 launch titles that sold in anysignificant quantities were Madden (tons) and SSX (quite a bunch). Everything else flopped hard. Trust me on this -- our launch title at Working Designs, Gungriffon Blaze, was the second-worst-selling of the batch, beating out only Q-Ball.

-- Z.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by zmeston
    You see it everywhere for the same reason you see huge piles of almost every other PS2 launch title -- because third parties manufactured tons of games in anticipation of huge sales, and were badly burned by the PS2 "hardware shortage." Also, the only two PS2 launch titles that sold in anysignificant quantities were Madden (tons) and SSX (quite a bunch). Everything else flopped hard. Trust me on this -- our launch title at Working Designs, Gungriffon Blaze, was the second-worst-selling of the batch, beating out only Q-Ball.
    Didn't know that. I'd've guessed those first print runs would've been much lower, since the installed base was obviously lower. Forgot about the 'shortages' and never made the connection to the poor publishers

I'm amazed Fantavision beat *any* game in sales, let alone two of them. Fantavision must've been *massively* produced (either I'm missing it or I don't much see GGB or QB for sale anymore (maybe GGB is in one of those Walmart 'value packs' though)).

So even Tekken flopped? Kinda suprises me. Then again, of my three launch day titles one *was* SSX - and I bet a lot of others would say the same. It was, in my opinion, easily the best launch game available.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A game that puzzles me is Fantavision. Lousy game, launch day title (so the installed base is low), so you'd figure it would've had a short run, and yet it's still for sale *everywhere* (at $10). Can't give the thing away (I still haven't got one).
    I picked one up for $6 a few months ago, despite the Funco clerk warning me off, even at that price! The game is...innovative, but not that much fun. Well, I didn't play it long enough to say, really. Maybe it grows on you.

Quote Originally Posted by zmeston
    You see it [Fantavision] everywhere for the same reason you see huge piles of almost every other PS2 launch title -- because third parties manufactured tons of games in anticipation of huge sales, and were badly burned by the PS2 "hardware shortage." Also, the only two PS2 launch titles that sold in anysignificant quantities were Madden (tons) and SSX (quite a bunch). Everything else flopped hard. Trust me on this -- our launch title at Working Designs, Gungriffon Blaze, was the second-worst-selling of the batch, beating out only Q-Ball.

-- Z.
    That's too bad. Gungriffon Blaze really wasn't a bad game at all. I remember the critics bitching about it being too short, but I liked it. But then, I didn't pick it up new, either.

Does anybody know how many copies of Ico and Rez were produced?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't know that. I'd've guessed those first print runs would've been much lower, since the installed base was obviously lower. Forgot about the 'shortages' and never made the connection to the poor publishers
    Publishers (other than EA) took a beating mostly because of the shortage, but a little because they bought into the PS2 hype and figured every PS2 purchaser would grab four or five games instead of one (Madden) or two (Madden and SSX). WD didn't overmanufacture as much as others; I think our initial and only run of GGB was about 25,000 units, which I helped pack up and ship off from a dirty, nasty little warehouse in the Bay Area. The joys of working for a small publisher!

I'm amazed Fantavision beat *any* game in sales, let alone two of them. Fantavision must've been *massively* produced (either I'm missing it or I don't much see GGB or QB for sale anymore (maybe GGB is in one of those Walmart 'value packs' though)).
    I always see massive piles of GGB and QB at the Fry's electronic superstore in Sacramento, even though they've long since dropped the price to $20, but perhaps they just overstocked more than other retailers.

So even Tekken flopped? Kinda suprises me. Then again, of my three launch day titles one *was* SSX - and I bet a lot of others would say the same. It was, in my opinion, easily the best launch game available.
    I don't think Tekken Tag flopped, exactly -- it did fine over the long term -- but Madden and SSX sold many more copies in the launch window. Up 'til Xmas 2000, Madden was selling roughly one copy for every two PS2s, and SSX about one copy for every four or five PS2s. Just insane ratios, like what-Atari-thought-would-happen-with-E.T. ratios. I think the #3 title was roughly one for every ten PS2s.

Totally agreed that SSX was the best launch title; it took over the WD offices, and wrenched us away from our usual productivity-destroying pinball sessions, for many weeks.

-- Z.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    That's too bad. Gungriffon Blaze really wasn't a bad game at all. I remember the critics bitching about it being too short, but I liked it. But then, I didn't pick it up new, either.
    It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great, either, and it WAS too short. Capcom published GGB in Japan but passed on it for the States, which is when WD snapped it up. Unfortunately, the Gungriffon franchise had zero Stateside recognition, and WD's fans wanted RPGs, not 'mech games. GGB also has really poor foil-stamped packaging that surely didn't help it any with the hare-brained masses.

-- Z.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    I picked one up for $6 a few months ago, despite the Funco clerk warning me off, even at that price! The game is...innovative, but not that much fun. Well, I didn't play it long enough to say, really. Maybe it grows on you.
    You've already seen everything Fantavision has to offer - you're right on the money. It's really nothing more than a fireworks demo. You can really "try" and play hard and you wind up getting the same scores as you would if you just sit there and let the game play itself. It's not fun because there's literally nothing to do - it's like "playing" a screensaver.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Skimming through all the petty squabbling. Here's my 2 cents for hard to find games.

Fatal Frame
    Suikoden 3
    Rez
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5