Thread: How the mighty have fallen. Blizzard Download Content

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default How the mighty have fallen. Blizzard Download Content

Anyways, I know there was one thread about DLC. I looked through atleast 15 pages. If someone finds it want to link it to merge it? Can someone also edit the option to allow three letters also? I seem to always need to use three letters in a search.

I dislike DLC but it's fine. It's how we can get extra stuff on games we already love. Such as playing the empire storyline(Behind Her Blue Flame) or EX Hard mode on Valkyria Chronicles. But DLC for cheats and to give people an advantage is something I really frown upon.

Blizzard adds a new mount. Only acquirable by purchasing. $25.

What's next? A set of armor stronger than anything available per class as long as you pay $50? I honestly hope Blizzard does introduce this and then people start quitting WoW because getting killed or attacked by people with the new armor, etc.

Oh yeah. Blizzard made more than one million off this already.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=7820&mp=1
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-16-2010 at 11:08 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

There a difference between vanity garbage and actual, "usable" DLC like extra storylines and whatnot.

If people want to throw their money away on something that just makes them look cool, that's their deal. A fool and his money are soon parted. You might say they're exploiting their users, but I applaud them for it-no one is holding a gun to anyone's head to buy it and playing without it makes no difference.

If they make special upgrade items only available to those who pay a premium, then I'd complain. But then again so would 99% of the userbase, so that'll never happen.
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 04-16-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Also there's something in the FAQ on how to use Google to search DP for 3 letter words... if I recall.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

how is this any different from "pimp my avatar" on xbox live or dynamic themes and avatar icons on PSN?

Remember the EverQuest Legends server? $40.00/month premium server with increased loot drop rates and unique items?

SOE has been doing this for years now with SOE store and their card game that has in-game loot reward cards.

If people buy it, why not sell it?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Also there's something in the FAQ on how to use Google to search DP for 3 letter words... if I recall.
    <in the google search box> site:digitpress.com [type search criteria here] <enter or click "search">

Done!

Blizzard fell long ago, when they started charging for battle.net play with the new releases... I spent a lot of time on b.net before that. Even though you could still play the old games for free, at least for a while, it turned me sour to it completely. Rather direct IP connect a game and set them up over an IM client.

Blizzard isn't even the same company that it was. So many key people fled to other things. If it wasn't for WoW IDK what state they'd be in today. Probably long non-existent.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-16-2010 at 11:39 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Considering how much the Spectral Tiger card has gone for on eBay, this is a deal by comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

This game is so bad now, soooo noob friendly. But like this guy said as long as their making more money they aint stopping..

and jesus 1 mill off that mount? They are going to exploit that so badly now...
    League of Legends referral link:
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4be72d0a12a60
    ^^ DotA players click the link ^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Blizzard fell long ago, when they started charging for battle.net play with the new releases... I spent a lot of time on b.net before that. Even though you could still play the old games for free, at least for a while, it turned me sour to it completely. Rather direct IP connect a game and set them up over an IM client.
    Blizzard does not charge at all for Battle.net - I don't know what you're talking about. Yes, it does charge for World of Warcraft access, which is, I guess, now technically connected to Battle.net, but Warcraft III, Diablo II, Starcraft, and even the new releases Starcraft II and Diablo III will all be free play over Battle.net. Like it or not, charging monthly fees is standard for MMORPGs. That's not Blizzard being disingenuous; that's just how MMO's work. If you don't like it, like I do, then don't play MMO's.

About the topic heading: I mean, yeah, it's a little disconcerting to see a respected company like Blizzard jump on the pay-for-items bandwagon, but hey, if people are dumb enough to buy it, then more power to them. Also, I'm pretty sure that that mount does not give any in game bonus; it's merely for e-penis boosting. If you want to pay $25 for an in-game item that is meaningless besides the looks, then by all means, go ahead, you can't blame Blizzard for that.

Of course, if they start making pay-to-play accessories or in-game units that are actually much better than the normal ones, I will be the first to complain. Right now, though, it's just Blizzard making money off consumers willing to pay for no in-game gain.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I dislike DLC but it's fine. It's how we can get extra stuff on games we already love. Such as playing the empire storyline(Behind Her Blue Flame) or EX Hard mode on Valkyria Chronicles. But DLC for cheats and to give people an advantage is something I really frown upon.

Blizzard adds a new mount. Only acquirable by purchasing. $25.
    OMFG! How could Blizzard do this? HOW?!

Do they have ANY idea what they've done? Do they even KNOW what kind of slippery slope they've just started to trek upon? Im'a gonna have to channel my ole pal Zoltor here and UTTERLY CONDEMN them for this outright TRAVESTY. HOW could they be so blind?! They added a new VANITY mount to the game and have the AUDACITY to ask for $25 of your hard earned cash for it! Don't they know there's a RECESSION going on?!

I'm honestly besides myself right now. I CANNOT believe they added this mount to the game. All of us here, especially our venerable OP...Mr. kupomogli himself, are all WELL versed in this meager little game they publish called WoW and INTIMATELY know all of the intricacies of the game play to know that this VANITY mount they've added will tear asunder the delicate balance that had existed in the game up to this point. With this VANITY mount's inclusion to the game, I fully expect there to be a schism among the player base of biblical proportions. Forever more, there will be those who have this VANITY mount and those who won't and as we all know, it can't possibly end well. Your end is nigh World of Warcraft, and it was Blizzard themselves that struck the killing blow!!

Or the more likely scenario is that things will just keep right on truckin' as they have been.

Just like the VANITY pets they've offered previously, this mount will NOT cause any sort of imbalance in the overall game play. Hold on a sec, my keyboard is acting up...

THIS IS NOT THAT BIG A DEAL REALLY. IT'S AKIN TO BUYING OUTFITS FOR YOUR AVATARS ON XB360...ONLY A HAIR MORE EXPENSIVE.

Ah, okay, it's working fine again. I think I had the cruise control turned on.

What's next? A set of armor stronger than anything available per class as long as you pay $50? I honestly hope Blizzard does introduce this and then people start quitting WoW because getting killed or attacked by people with the new armor, etc.
    Let that hate just SHINE on through!! There's NO animosity at all from this one. Nope, NO SIR...NOT ONE BIT!

(Blah...darn keyboard...and I just bought it too. Seriously, who puts a cruise control button on a frikken' keyboard? The heck with you Logitech, I'm going back to the MS brand ones! )

Seriously though...c'mon now. Is it possible to give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt? Maybe just a sliver or shred of it? They're NOT going to be offering a set of "SUPAR ARMORZ" for the low, low price of $50 on their store anytime soon...or ever I should say. It's essentially the same as how they DON'T offer selling in game gold for RL monies. That's why I have to resort to services like Susan Express for all of my.....erm....nevermind that last part, nothing to see here!

Oh yeah. Blizzard made more than one million off this already.
    Ummm....yay for them? You figure there's a few million people playing the game and of them, a decent chunk of them enjoy collecting the VANITY mounts and VANITY pets that are available. What about all of the MILLIONS that MS, Sony, Nintendo, and the like have raked in from their DLC? Why weren't those games released with all of that expansion content on day 1? How dare companies like Capcom and EA charge me MS points for alternate costumes in SF IV and Madden? WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE ANYWAY?!

I spied an Alliance druid on one of these last night. I didn't get a really good look because the unbalancing powars of this VANITY mount made it so I couldn't make it out very well. My cousin took the Nestea plunge and bought one from the store and wanted to show it to me but on the way to see his character upon it, I blacked out completely from the awesomeness and mysteriously woke up in my bed the next morning, with no idea how I got in bed or how my comp got turned off (the fact that it was 3AM when he was trying to show me had NOTHING to do with ANYTHING!)

I think I'll head over to the Blizzard store RIGHT NOW and purchase me one of these mounts. Then Blizzard will be sitting pretty with one million and twenty-five dollars! I'll ride around on it in game and all of the lowly n00bsauces will tremble at the sight of my humongous e-peen! They'll be in awe when in my presence and grumble in jealousy when I go AFK in front of the mailbox!
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman View Post
    Blizzard does not charge at all for Battle.net - I don't know what you're talking about. Yes, it does charge for World of Warcraft access, which is, I guess, now technically connected to Battle.net, but Warcraft III, Diablo II, Starcraft, and even the new releases Starcraft II and Diablo III will all be free play over Battle.net. Like it or not, charging monthly fees is standard for MMORPGs. That's not Blizzard being disingenuous; that's just how MMO's work. If you don't like it, like I do, then don't play MMO's.
    Then rest assured that I don't? Besides, there is always free MMO's out there. It's bullshit that it has to be pay-to-play. I might not mind that if you pay per month to play then they should give you the software for free then. Just how I look at it. Too much like double-dipping to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then rest assured that I don't? Besides, there is always free MMO's out there. It's bullshit that it has to be pay-to-play. I might not mind that if you pay per month to play then they should give you the software for free then. Just how I look at it. Too much like double-dipping to me.
    Actually I meant to say was that I don't like monthly fees either - that's why I don't play MMO's. But this is standard practice. Yeah, monthly fees suck, but they've been around since Ultima Online and they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno if there's a proper or fair comparison that can be used to describe the difference between the pay-to-play MMOs like World of Warcraft and Everquest to the free-to-play MMOs such as Runescape and Maple Story. Probably the best comparison I can conjure up is it being like the difference from having cable/dish/satellite and paying for the channels you get with that as opposed to settling for the channels that you get from your local broadcasting stations.

That's not the most accurate comparison but the best I could come up with.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you mean to say that you are getting better quality for pay-to-play? It's possible, but not always true.

They are MMOs, the formula is pathetically simple (kind of their charm, in a way); kill stuff and get shinnies, run low on recovery items/abilities, go back to town, sell unusable shinnies, resupply, upgrade gear to be able to kill bigger things, go further out in the 'world' and get higher class and more valuable shinnies - loop until you can't take the monotony anymore. Not much has really changed in the structure since Red Dragon, and that has been around since the late 80's through BBSs. They just managed to get people to accept a subscription. Good for them, but they'll not have me!
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-17-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Well regardless on what some think about it, it seems that the WoW community actually wanted this, since according to Blizzard a whopping 140,000 players were trying to purchase it at one time. Now I'd never pay for a MMO (it would have to be something amazing) and I sure as hell wouldn't pay $25 for a virtual pet, but it seems there are thousands of people out there that would.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok I'll admit I bought it. It was mount # 102 for me. If I hadn't finally gotten the White Polar Bear from the daily in Storm Peaks a few days ago it would have been my 100th mount. But alas I already had my Red Dragonhawk.

Something you non wow fans may not know is there weren't any other flying mounts in game that scale to your fastest known flying speed before this one. So if you had a 310% mount you were pretty much limited to riding that one proto-drake or using a slower 280% one. With the Celestial Steed (and soon the 2-person Raf rocket) you have more choices for 310% mounts. Though this will be changing in Cat since you will be able to train 310% flying speed and all of your mounts will be 310% then. Oh I almost forgot that it gets sent to every character you have (on that specific wow account anyway grr...).

Is $25 a lot? Well truth be told I've already used my new mount more than I ever did any of the digital games I paid for and downloaded on my Wii. If you smoke or drink I guess $25 would be a lot but then again if you do either you don't have much ground to stand on in this argument.

On another note it's been interesting to see this divide that has been growing between wow/mmo players and the traditional console Joystiq/Kotaku crowd. Quick to put down people for buying a mount but find no fault in buying map packs or pimping avatars out with virtual remote control halo cars and clothes. In WoW's defense the equivalent to map packs, new raids and BG's, are patched in free of charge three times (or more) a year. :-) Every digital item they sell and will sell are just vanity only items and will never have any effect on gameplay.

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bliz has always had DLC in one shape or form, before the DLC site came active there was the "trading card game from UDE, which is basicly the same thing. Buy booster pack after booster pack hoping for a loot card, or you just buy one off ebay, enter the code loot comes to you in game.

Honestly this is nothing new, sounds like your just another h8ter thats pissed that so many people have something cool that's easily accessible. Bliz is a business, there to put out an awesome product that, well apparently, many people enjoy for a minimum fee. I'll be the first to say that MMO's espicially WOW are a horrid lifesucking force that basicly never end. But fact of the matter is every game they put out is a huge success due to the high standard of quality.

And after playing the Alpha of Starcraft 2 and seeing Diablo in real time action they are once again setting the bar.

So in nerd lingo I say "Grats & ty 1337 Big blue, thx for keeping it epic FTW"

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zemmix View Post
    On another note it's been interesting to see this divide that has been growing between wow/mmo players and the traditional console Joystiq/Kotaku crowd. Quick to put down people for buying a mount but find no fault in buying map packs or pimping avatars out with virtual remote control halo cars and clothes. In WoW's defense the equivalent to map packs, new raids and BG's, are patched in free of charge three times (or more) a year. :-) Every digital item they sell and will sell are just vanity only items and will never have any effect on gameplay.
    Actually, I think pretty much all DLC is B.S. and I'd never pay for any of it. If you have money to burn, well... screw you, there are people starving in your neighborhood, a-hole! So no, sorry, no sympathy from me. I really think game makers have taken to gouging the public, and I think it's pretty disgusting. You don't get rewarded for being the best gamer now, it's all about how has the most RL monies. And that goes for everything. The worst is giving people an unfair advantage b/c they pre-ordered your game, or spent money buying crap out of your online store, or sucked your dick, or whatever. But I think all of it is useless junk for people with low self-esteem. The same kind of person that wants fat sucked out of their ass and injected into their lips is the same kind of person who wants to dress their avatar to look like Robert Smith (or Nelly, or whoever). These companies are laughing their asses off at you while they scam the hell out of you. Instead of making a full game, they half-ass some junk out the door then sell you the rest of it down the road. Instead of rewarding you for being a good player, they charge you for some ugly looking horse.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    If they make special upgrade items only available to those who pay a premium, then I'd complain. But then again so would 99% of the userbase, so that'll never happen.
    That's what they said about jRO.