Thread: Using a Philips G7200 in the U.S.?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Using a Philips G7200 in the U.S.?

I purchased a Philips G7200 off eBay a while back, but haven't been able to try it because I didn't own a 220v-110v step-down converter. I finally picked one up (refurbished, but guaranteed) last week. Unfortunately, I can't get the G7200 to work. I'm not sure if my G7200 is busted, my step-down converter is busted, the fuse in the converter is busted, or something else. I made sure to use a European game (Terrahawks). I set the converter to output 110v, plugged the G7200 into it, plugged the converter into the wall, and pushed in the G7200's power switch, but nothing happened. No picture, no sounds, no electronic powering-up whine, nothing. I tried several times, on different wall outlets.

I was a little surprised that my G7200 has a power plug shaped similar to American power plugs (it is called "Type A", I think). I think my G7200 is a French model, and I thought French electronics used the Type E plugs with two round poles. The step-down converter I got accepts plugs of either type.

The G7200's power switch seems unusual to me. When you push it in, it just slides back. It slides fine but doesn't "click" or remain depressed. Is this normal? Also, the brightness knob is very loose and can be easily pulled out. I doubt this would affect the functioning of the machine though.

If anybody has any tips on getting these things to work in the U.S. I'd appreciate it. I own other Euro consoles I could try, but this is the only one that won't have additional NTSC/PAL or A/V connection problems since it has the built-in screen.

Some pics:

My G7200

My G7200's Power Plug

My Step-Down Converter
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

dont you need a step UP convertor?

Your wall shoots out 110v and the Philips G7200 wants 220v.

You aren't juicin it up enough.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah it sounds like you need a step-up. A step-down is for running US stuff in the UK. Step up - That's what I use with my Euro systems, steps up 110v wall output to 220v output. Otherwise it's doing nothing with a step-down, since the machine still needs 220v - you can't change what the machine wants but you can change what the electrical wall outlet gives.

I use this step up for 3-prong UK comps, model VT 1P 300 UK, up to 300 watts and should do what you need:

http://www.voltage-converter-transfo...ansformer.html

You can get plug converters or another model depending on your needs.
    Last edited by phreakindee; 04-19-2010 at 09:53 AM.
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. You are both correct of course, I should have said "step-up" not "step-down," but actually my converter can work in either mode. It has a toggle switch that goes between 110V or 220V. You can see the switch in the third photo in my original post.

I do wonder if I am using it in the wrong mode. I *think* I have it set correctly but I might have misunderstood what the switch means. The converter's only instructions are:

Input Voltage Selection Switch
    Input: 220V or 110V AC
    (50/60Hz Pass Thru, No Change)
    (1)AT 220V Country:
    Select 220V for Step-Down
    Conversion (Preset)
    (2)At 110V country:
    Select 110V for Step-Up Conversion

I'm in a 110V country, so I assume I need to follow the instruction labeled (2). As I read it, I need to have the switch in the 110V position for step-up conversion. I tried that, but it didn't work.

The instructions indicate that the converter should have been preset for 220V, but it was on 110V when I got it. But like I said, I got it refurbished so it might not have been on the factory preset any more.

I'm tempted to try setting the switch to 220V but I'm not sure if that is safe. I don't want to fry the G7200 or the converter.
    o2william's Found & Lost

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

I don't think you will damage it if you set it to 220v.

Your wall puts out no more than like 120v, so your wall will never be able to break it.

The converter needs to juice the 110v up to 220v, so I think you should flip it to 220v. your "input" voltage is 220v, since the machine is expecting 220v.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I tried setting it to 220V, but still nothing. Maybe I'll have to try one of my other Euro machines. It could be that the G7200 is busted or the power switch is bad.
    o2william's Found & Lost

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by o2william View Post
    Well, I tried setting it to 220V, but still nothing. Maybe I'll have to try one of my other Euro machines. It could be that the G7200 is busted or the power switch is bad.
    might want to get a legit step-up converter and test that instead of a "refurbished" one,

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use both of these: http://www.110220volts.com/World-Adap.html

http://www.estoreoffer.com/st200-wat...own-p-844.html.

Doesnt have to be from the same sites but I use both these in my setup to run pal and secam consoles. It has the ability to INPUT (which means the juice going into the transformer) anywhere from 110 to 240 (via a jumper in the back) and OUTPUT(which means the juice going out into the device you are trying to use) anywhere from 110 to 240. It says 220 on the plug but I can run my pal snes which says it needs 240 on it just fine. I plug them into the white adapter then into the transformer. Been using it fine on 110v american soil

I can provide a pic once i locate my adapter again.