View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Atari 2600

8 14.29%
  • Colecovision

4 7.14%
  • TurboGrafx 16

44 78.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which would you get?

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

Default Which would you get?

If you could choose one which would it be: Atari 2600, Colecovision, or TurboGrafx 16. I'm thinking about buying one of the three and I would like some input. I will be going to a game store in Chicago late next week and would like to pick up one of these systems.
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted Turbografx-16. There are some fun HuCard games out there for the system like Pac-Land, Galaga '90, Blazing Lazers, Chew-Man-Fu, and the Alien/Devil's Crush games. There's more than that obviously but that's just to give you an idea. I do loves me some Colecovision and grew up on the Atari 2600 but I wouldn't hesitate to get a TG-16 over those.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well...... you may be able to pick up a Colecovision with the adaptor to play the Atari 2600 games and then satisfy 2 of your 3 desires. That would be my first attempt. Otherwise I am not sure how far you are from Chicago, but you may want to consider your local market for getting either of those types of games, unless you are happy shopping on the internet. If you are happy to shop on the internet, you are already participating at one of your best resources for games right here at DP with the buy/sell/trade action here.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also voted TG16, especially if you can find an adapter for PC Engine games.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TG-16 is the hardest one to find in the wild as far as I can tell. Colecovision might be easier to find. If the price is right, I might get both.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If money isnt an issue, go TG16. Depends a lot on what your taste in games is too though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

Quote Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
    Well...... you may be able to pick up a Colecovision with the adaptor to play the Atari 2600 games and then satisfy 2 of your 3 desires. That would be my first attempt. .
    That's not a bad idea...I just wish the Coleco had wood grain But it is pretty snazzy otherwise. It depends how much the Coleco is. Its probably like 47 or something. I know at my local Play N Trade they had some Coleco carts mixed with their Atari 2600 carts, so I hope no one buys Mr Do for Coleco thinking it will play on their Atari.
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Turbografx all the way, brother!! Behind the Neo-Geo it is a retro gamer's dream machine! I got mine a year ago and I have never looked back. Easy choice in my book.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

I agree on the Colecovision, just because you can shoot down two in one. The Colecovision is also a great system, but on the otherside it is quite bulky.. it is bigger than xbox!...

Hmm... for my money though if you are willing to work on the internet to find games, Go with Turbografx.

If you want games that are easier to find, Colecovision.

Do you live in a Chicago suburb? I know of two PnTs near me.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

TG-16, all the way. Seriously, it's never even close. The Turbo Grafx is one of my favorite systems of all time -- there are some real gems in the TG-16 library, infinitely more so if you get a CD add-on.

On the other hand, I'd personally hold out for a Duo system if I know that I was in the market for a Turbo Grafx console, which might make the Colecovision look a little more appealing for now. In any event, the Atari 2600 is in dead last place with me. 2600's are a dime a dozen, and nothing you can't pick up virtually anytime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

Quote Originally Posted by otoko View Post
    Do you live in a Chicago suburb? I know of two PnTs near me.
    I'm not sure if you call Woodstock a suburb, but the one I go to is in Crystal Lake if that matters. If you are looking for the Coleco games, they were scary dirty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

I would pick the Turbo Grafx-16 in a heartbeat.

It's got the largest, most diverse library of games, that offer the most depth.

The atari may have MORE games, but they're atari games. The limitations of the system result in simple, repetitive games.... yeah they're fun, but man they get old fast sometimes.

TG gives you all the shooters, beat em ups, puzzle, RPGs, ... all with better quality than Coleco and Atari
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by betamax001 View Post
    I'm not sure if you call Woodstock a suburb, but the one I go to is in Crystal Lake if that matters. If you are looking for the Coleco games, they were scary dirty.
    Not really, I was wondering because there are two near me and I used to go through Woodstock on my way to college regularly. Curious cause it's always cool to find local persons of the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Colecovision is the only one in that list I have still yet to ever buy. Whenever I spot them they're quite expensive and usually with either no games, or a few that aren't appealing. Whenever I find carts and games it's generally the sports, Donkey Kong, or once more unappealing titles. So, from my experience I wouldn't get super involved in it unless you were going the Net route and ordering items.

The TG-16 is great and a number of titles to check out that will keep your attention. The down-side is price and rarity as I doubt you will spot titles often. They are desirable so a demand will be there for some time down the road as well if you ever needed to trade/sell to get other games.

The VCS is boss of most other systems. It's so dirt cheap and common (despite some crazy Craigslist and flea market sellers) so it's a library you can expand real fast. Cart-only is a good route considering their labeling and how many you can snag in bulk auctions in such a condition. Sure, many games offer the attention span of a gnat compared to more modern games, but quantity will bring in a few gems that'll keep your attention.

So yea, VCS.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Atari 2600 is the best of the three. So it's an easy choice.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Harmony cart for the Atari 2600 makes this an easy choice for me. Lots of great two player games on the old Atari!!!
    Make sure to get the new Harmony Cart:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNMY...eature=related

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have yet to see a Coleco in the wild, so I can't comment on it. Atari will be cheap and easy to collect for, but the TG-16 probably has the most playability for modern gamers- but harder and more expensive to collect for.

If you enjoy the primitive nature of the games on the 2600, then I wouldn't hesitate as you can build a library fast.

On the other hand if you can get a great deal on a TG-16 or Coleco, you may want to hop on it because they don't come-up in the wild that often. Coleco games are also much easier to find than HU cards, although they look a lot like 2600 carts.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I would suggest the Turbografx if you can find it along with some games, it's really a fun system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aw, I misread the title of this thread as "Which would you eat?"
    Denial - The Commodore VIC 20 Community
    www.sleepingelephant.com/denial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Looks like similar results and comments as you've had elsewhere!

TG-16, or get the 2600 and get a PC Engine/Turbo Duo down the road?