Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It boggles my mind how stubborn some game retailers are!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) dnehthend's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember when I was little people would charge a flat rate of around $2-8 for NES games, then as I got older people started whipping out price sheets, that was a big turn off, I stopped collecting games for a while

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDean View Post
    Yeah, its on Coventry. Really? 75 bucks for splatterhouse? Thats a rip-off. Just to show you how much they know about video games, they gave me a bunch of money for pit-fighter for snes. Like 10 bucks. They thought it was an "excellent fighter". Wow. They can't even tell pit-fighter from Street Fighter. Dumbasses.

Edit: They also thought it was rare... I came back to see how much it was selling for and it was about 40 bucks.
    yeah that stores great to go look around and check stuff out, but for anything collectible, theyre high on crack.

the action figures aren't priced TOO bad though
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, its a cool store, but they are WAY overpriced. I just feel bad for the guy who bought pit-fighter!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the best places are the ones that lower the price based on the time the game has been on the shelf, I like to go in and buy all of the dollar games that have been sitting around for 6 months

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about $50 for CIB Phantasy Star III. I think eventually the ditz working at Al's realized that was never going to happen and repriced it. (Any other Seattlites out there?)
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am I the only one that loved pit fighter in the arcades?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    How about $50 for CIB Phantasy Star III. I think eventually the ditz working at Al's realized that was never going to happen and repriced it.
    Yeah, no. That's sort of ridiculous. Even if you can forget that PSIII is the red headed stepchild of the series, none of the other (better) ones even go for that price.

at my friend who pre-ordered Phantasy Star III in Junior High school and paid 80+ bucks for it.

That was actually the first I'd ever heard of pre-ordering games (which I still think is sort of pointless, unless you get some sort of promo swag or something), and that was a hell of a lot of money for a 14 year old back then.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, one thing no one has mentioned is how rude some customers can be. That in itself is one reason some people hate to negotiate prices. Rude (or extremely cheap) customers can really turn off a store owner and cause him not to even go down the road of negotiating. How many times do you want to hear "Will you take $5 for that complete Earthbound?"

What really irks me is when you give someone a really cheap price and then they try and get you even lower. Selling a game like Tyson Punchout for $5 and they offer you $2. That kinda stuff tends to make some people shy away from negotiating. I guess my point is there are tools on both sides.....no shocker there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Well, one thing no one has mentioned is how rude some customers can be. That in itself is one reason some people hate to negotiate prices. Rude (or extremely cheap) customers can really turn off a store owner and cause him not to even go down the road of negotiating. How many times do you want to hear "Will you take $5 for that complete Earthbound?"

What really irks me is when you give someone a really cheap price and then they try and get you even lower. Selling a game like Tyson Punchout for $5 and they offer you $2. That kinda stuff tends to make some people shy away from negotiating. I guess my point is there are tools on both sides.....no shocker there.
    I had a customer like that one time. This was back when Starfox had just been released for the Gamecube, and I think we were selling it for $69.99 CDN? Any way, this cheapskate comes in and says Walmart has it for $69.07 or something like that, and would we price match?! It was less than
    a dollar difference though, and I just laughed under my breath and politely said no.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I hate that myself. That's why I've stopped selling on Craigs List. I have something listed for $60 and someone sends me a message asking me if I'll take $30 and then, an hour later sends me an email asking if I'll take $20 (and he'll pick it up... because I'm not sure what he thought the $60 price was for)

When I sell, I really hate haggling if my prices are already at a great level (if I've priced it a little higher to see if someone will bite, that's another thing entirely)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I had a customer like that one time. This was back when Starfox had just been released for the Gamecube, and I think we were selling it for $69.99 CDN? Any way, this cheapskate comes in and says Walmart has it for $69.07 or something like that, and would we price match?! It was less than
    a dollar difference though, and I just laughed under my breath and politely said no.
    I hate that, if you saw it somewhere else for less than why are you here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    For many months until they were repriced to something sane, or was someone actually stupid/crazy enough to purchase them for what they were asking?
    They marked them down by a marginal amount a few times, then they vanished. Hard to say for sure, since I really don't go to this place very often (once or twice a month). Sorry that my anecdote has no resolution...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are about a dozen mom and pop video game stores here in the greater Seattle area. I've been to all of them multiple times. The only ones I go back to now are the stores that I can haggle prices with. I really only haggle when I purchase upwards towards $100 of stuff. I usually ask them to cover the sales tax or take $10 off. Their price markups are outrageous anyway and I use that as a talking point. I also point out the fact that the stuff I buy has been sitting for months and months and months. Talk to the owner, if you can, and be frank and curteous.

Shoot the shit with them for a bit, listen to their problems, ask about business, what sells, what doesn't.

Different stores have different "systems" or "generations" of games that account for the bulk of their sales. Simply saying, go to the stores that don't sell a lot of what you're looking for, buy a lot ($100+) and ask for a discount or just say I'll pay X ammount for these. You can usually get up to 20% off with ease.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Google 4 gaga
    Last edited by UnpluggedClone; 05-28-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by UnpluggedClone View Post
    This is my local area retro store
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...85882472227479

It's absolutely horrid, I went to take in a few N64 games Mario Party 3, Super Smash Bros and Conker's Bad Fur Day all of which are fairly expensive titles. When i was in his store a few days prior i saw him selling these same games for roughly 15 - 20 dollars over ebay or amazon which i thought was crazy but i thought hey i can trade in some games for a decent price and won't have to hassle with selling them online. I go into the store to trade them in and he looks them up on his computer he says yes i can give you 3.25 credit or 2.25 cash.

I thought there was a mistake I asked him 2 DOLLARS CASH? He said yea so i just took the games and left. The guys customer service skills are horrific (the owner) and the prices are simply BAT SHIT FUCKING CRAZY. He sells black label FF7's for 125, Common Turbo Graphx games for 30 dollars. He Sells Atari Jaguars system with 1 controller for 149.99.

He had a bubble bobble 2 for 249.99...

The prices in combination with there overall customer service, it shocks me they've stayed open as long as they have.
    I looked at the link in your post, "We pay more, and sell for less!" There seems to be three reviews that state they have poor customer service and terrible prices for their games. As bad as the store seems, I'd love a good retro store here- the last one went out of business a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by pseudonym; 04-23-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA View Post
    There are about a dozen mom and pop video game stores here in the greater Seattle area. I've been to all of them multiple times. The only ones I go back to now are the stores that I can haggle prices with. I really only haggle when I purchase upwards towards $100 of stuff. I usually ask them to cover the sales tax or take $10 off. Their price markups are outrageous anyway and I use that as a talking point. I also point out the fact that the stuff I buy has been sitting for months and months and months. Talk to the owner, if you can, and be frank and curteous.

Shoot the shit with them for a bit, listen to their problems, ask about business, what sells, what doesn't.

Different stores have different "systems" or "generations" of games that account for the bulk of their sales. Simply saying, go to the stores that don't sell a lot of what you're looking for, buy a lot ($100+) and ask for a discount or just say I'll pay X ammount for these. You can usually get up to 20% off with ease.
    I've heard good things about Another Castle on Aurora Ave, haven't been there tho. The only places I've gone to w/ any regularity has been Al's and Pink Godzilla, and I haven't been back to Al's in a long time. PG I don't think I could haggle at, and I've yet to try. Their prices have been getting better lately, but I still wouldn't pay 99% of them.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UnpluggedClone View Post
    This is my local area retro store
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...85882472227479

It's absolutely horrid, I went to take in a few N64 games Mario Party 3, Super Smash Bros and Conker's Bad Fur Day all of which are fairly expensive titles. When i was in his store a few days prior i saw him selling these same games for roughly 15 - 20 dollars over ebay or amazon which i thought was crazy but i thought hey i can trade in some games for a decent price and won't have to hassle with selling them online. I go into the store to trade them in and he looks them up on his computer he says yes i can give you 3.25 credit or 2.25 cash.

I thought there was a mistake I asked him 2 DOLLARS CASH? He said yea so i just took the games and left. The guys customer service skills are horrific (the owner) and the prices are simply BAT SHIT FUCKING CRAZY. He sells black label FF7's for 125, Common Turbo Graphx games for 30 dollars. He Sells Atari Jaguars system with 1 controller for 149.99.

He had a bubble bobble 2 for 249.99...

The prices in combination with there overall customer service, it shocks me they've stayed open as long as they have.
    This is what the store was like where I use to work when the original owners had it. The store I worked at was in a smaller city, but the owners also ran a store in a much larger neighboring city in a very busy mall. They got away with giving people next to nothing for trade in value on games and turning around and selling it for a huge profit, because people expect to pay high prices in malls. These owners tried to do the same thing in the smaller store where I worked, and they just couldn't get away with it, as hard as they tried to. The other problem in the store I worked at was a lot of our customers got to become friends and regulars, and I didn't want to fuck them over by giving them next to nothing for their games, then turn around and mark them up 10x what they got for them, because it was a smaller city, many of these customers I saw on a regular basis. It was totally different in the mall store where you wouldn't see the same people nearly as much, if ever again.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 04-23-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I see a lot of people in here that have little to no understanding of business and profitability, and just want cheap stuff for free or nothing to fall out of trees.

Yeah it sucks you're not getting what you want for your games - but it's up to you to want to trade it in. If you can sell it yourself just do it. I've never traded in anything to any of these types of stores, other than free copies of new titles from back in the day.

Try running your own store for awhile, your attitudes and priorities will drastically shift.

Overhead's a bitch.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I see a lot of people in here that have little to no understanding of business and profitability, and just want cheap stuff for free or nothing to fall out of trees.

Yeah it sucks you're not getting what you want for your games - but it's up to you to want to trade it in. If you can sell it yourself just do it. I've never traded in anything to any of these types of stores, other than free copies of new titles from back in the day.

Try running your own store for awhile, your attitudes and priorities will drastically shift.

Overhead's a bitch.
    Truth.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It looks like people are itching to see something they'd consider poetic justice. Sure, Star Fox 64 is probably not going to sell at $70 but if a place manages to stay in business in spite of that, well, they're probably doing at least something right. And since people who feel the store shouldn't be able to stay afloat never see the "For Rent" sign appear in the window they become indignant. "How dare they?!"