Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: It boggles my mind how stubborn some game retailers are!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    This sounds EXACTLY like the guy that use to run the larger store owned by the same people who owned the smaller game store I use to work at. This fucking moron would give people nothing for trade in value, then mark up any game he felt was "rare" sky high. He tried to do this in the smaller store where I worked, and he never got away with it. He would even mark up some new releases $10-15 over the going retail price when they first released because he said oh yeah that game is gonna be rare soon. I finally drew the line and told him to fuck off, when he wanted me to sell GTA: Vice City for $99.99 CDN. when the going rate was $79.99 CDN!
    Ahahaha!!!! That's hilarious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Hey man, Darkwing Duck is my homeboy.

but yeah, ignorant price gouging is always a hoot.

when FF7 shot up in value, some local stores were marking ALL the ff games up obnoxiously

even the brand new FF12

"Why is this brand new game 100$."

"FINAL FATNASY IS SO RAER OMG IF YOU DONT GET IT HERE YOU NEVER WIL , OMG"
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    jesus christ man!

SMB/DH is like a throw away game.

I have one propping up a fuckin wobbly table right now.

7$? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Yeah the one local store that went under was charging MIB pricing for loose HuCard games because as he said: "All TG-16 games are rare. You won't see many of these games ever again, and certainly won't see duplicates.". His scenester tard employee nodded in agreement and said "true dat. he knows his shit".

so!

Just to be a raging asshole, because I can't stand that kind of herpderp...

I went home, grabbed about half my hucards, made sure to grab all the duplicates of the common crap (which was stuff he had that id never see again!), walked in and went "I brought half of my rarest most valuable treasures. You can resell this stuff and make millions, thats how rare this stuff is! You want in?"

the guy goes "uh. what is it"

I dumped the bag over onto the counter and went "Turbo Grafx games. Look i got 4 keith courages, 2 bonks, a couple china warriors, and all these other games too. and this is only HALF OF IT! I'm friggin rich, amirite?!"

The guy stood dumb founded for about 15 seconds, I grinned, looked at the scenester goon and said "what was that you were saying about him knowing his shit?"

and then I traded in some of the duplicates for Sidearms, Darkwing Duck and Bravoman.......

and 3 weeks later the store went outta business. Lol.
    That's awesome. What did they say as you were trading the games in?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

nothing really. He just kinda mumbled the prices for the trade in values, and kept his head down, rofl.

I think I borked his ego.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

"Why is this brand new game 100$."

"FINAL FATNASY IS SO RAER OMG IF YOU DONT GET IT HERE YOU NEVER WIL , OMG"
    You guys are killing me.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

jesus christ man!

SMB/DH is like a throw away game.

I have one propping up a fuckin wobbly table right now.

7$? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Yeah the one local store that went under was charging MIB pricing for loose HuCard games because as he said: "All TG-16 games are rare. You won't see many of these games ever again, and certainly won't see duplicates.". His scenester tard employee nodded in agreement and said "true dat. he knows his shit".

so!

Just to be a raging asshole, because I can't stand that kind of herpderp...

I went home, grabbed about half my hucards, made sure to grab all the duplicates of the common crap (which was stuff he had that id never see again!), walked in and went "I brought half of my rarest most valuable treasures. You can resell this stuff and make millions, thats how rare this stuff is! You want in?"

the guy goes "uh. what is it"

I dumped the bag over onto the counter and went "Turbo Grafx games. Look i got 4 keith courages, 2 bonks, a couple china warriors, and all these other games too. and this is only HALF OF IT! I'm friggin rich, amirite?!"

The guy stood dumb founded for about 15 seconds, I grinned, looked at the scenester goon and said "what was that you were saying about him knowing his shit?"

and then I traded in some of the duplicates for Sidearms, Darkwing Duck and Bravoman.......

and 3 weeks later the store went outta business. Lol.
    Serves him right for being pompous and not keeping his mouth shut. That's no way to run a business really.

Darkwing Duck really is a horrible game though, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

yeah it blows. lol

but I still wanted it

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought of this thread today after making a trip to my local Half Price Books. Over the last few years, I've had some amazing finds at that particular store and I really liked their pricing strategy which appeared to be a standard mark-up from their (generally low) buy prices. If an item sat on the shelves for too long, they put it on the clearance rack to move it out quickly. As a result, this store was always turning over its inventory, and it was always exciting to go in there and see what was new. I'm also pretty confident that they were making pretty good money with this approach as the store is always crowded and always seems to have many employees on hand.

Then, a few months back things started to change. First they stopped putting items in the clearance bin, then the pricing strategy changed. Now, ebay (and higher) pricing is the name of the game. For example, a Model 2 Sega CD and Genesis with no games is currently marked at $99.99. A Sega Master System with accessories and the 3d glasses is marked $99.99 as well. Their copy of Silent Hill on the PS1 is sitting pretty at $49.99. Last time I checked these prices exceed ebay by quite a bit. Not surprisingly, the videogame section has ballooned up in inventory and its now frustrating to pick through all the old stuff to find anything new.

The saddest part is that the store is called "Half-Price" and they charge no more than 50% of cover price on all books, but they've clearly lost the script in regard to games. I can only hope that if enough people like myself keep walking out empty handed, they'll rethink their pricing.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by cityside75 View Post
    I thought of this thread today after making a trip to my local Half Price Books. Over the last few years, I've had some amazing finds at that particular store and I really liked their pricing strategy which appeared to be a standard mark-up from their (generally low) buy prices. If an item sat on the shelves for too long, they put it on the clearance rack to move it out quickly. As a result, this store was always turning over its inventory, and it was always exciting to go in there and see what was new. I'm also pretty confident that they were making pretty good money with this approach as the store is always crowded and always seems to have many employees on hand.

Then, a few months back things started to change. First they stopped putting items in the clearance bin, then the pricing strategy changed. Now, ebay (and higher) pricing is the name of the game. For example, a Model 2 Sega CD and Genesis with no games is currently marked at $99.99. A Sega Master System with accessories and the 3d glasses is marked $99.99 as well. Their copy of Silent Hill on the PS1 is sitting pretty at $49.99. Last time I checked these prices exceed ebay by quite a bit. Not surprisingly, the videogame section has ballooned up in inventory and its now frustrating to pick through all the old stuff to find anything new.

The saddest part is that the store is called "Half-Price" and they charge no more than 50% of cover price on all books, but they've clearly lost the script in regard to games. I can only hope that if enough people like myself keep walking out empty handed, they'll rethink their pricing.
    LMAO

One local thrift shop has a used Michael Jackson: HIStory album inside a glass case. I found that weird, but still asked to see it, hoping to get it at a cheap price. They wanted $50 for it! Best Buy has it new for $29! They also wanted $150 for the laserdisc of Making Michael Jackson's Thriller, ebay has it for around $30. ! They both have been sitting there for many months.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    LMAO

One local thrift shop has a used Michael Jackson: HIStory album inside a glass case. I found that weird, but still asked to see it, hoping to get it at a cheap price. They wanted $50 for it! Best Buy has it new for $29! They also wanted $150 for the laserdisc of Making Michael Jackson's Thriller, ebay has it for around $30. ! They both have been sitting there for many months.
    The Value Village near me also keeps the Michael Jackson stuff in the display case, it's been that way ever since he died. I think there's a Thriller album currently in there.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cityside75 View Post

Yeah I've complained at the local Half Price stores and always get the "these are out of print so that doesn't apply" reasoning. So fine, let $50 Diablo (PS1) sit there forever if you're not willing to be reasonable about it. Doesn't matter if something is out of print or not, if it's overpriced no one's going to buy it.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com