Thread: SNES cart designs

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES cart designs

I've had a tough time finding info on this via your basic google search, so here goes.

As far as I know, there were two basic cartridge designs for the SNES in North America. The first one is a flat, blocky rectangular design, and was used approximately from 1991-1993 or so. A redesigned cart came out sometime in 1993 and had a diagonal groove carved out on the bottom half of the cartridge. This design was used for all games that came out after its introduction. Incidentally, I believe this was about the same time Nintendo stopped including the plastic cart sleeves with the games.

First of all, does anyone know why Nintendo made this minor alteration in the cartridge design? I've wondered about this since I was a kid.

Second, what is the exact time frame of this switch. Is there a certain date or month that can be pinpointed as the day the redesigned carts came into circulation? How many games were released of each cart type?

Third, could there possibly be variants of particular games which were released around the time of the switch which were circulated with both the original cart design as well as the updated design? For instance, perhaps the game was initially released before the switch, and then had a second printing after the switch which used the updated design? I imagine certain Player's Choice games would fall into this category, but what about other games?

I appreciate any insight you guys can provide. Thanks!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Although I can't answer the 2nd and 3rd questions, I believe the alteration was due to the eject button breaking on the SNES and having a workaround for that. That's hearsay though.

From a cost perspective, they probably saved a little money by using a little less plastic per cart. Over the span of several million carts, that could be significant. My own thoughts on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do believe that the carts with the groove could be pulled out without pushing the eject button.

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are varients for some games, I know Super Mario World came both ways. I'm sure there are others aswell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by vxkens View Post
    Second, what is the exact time frame of this switch. Is there a certain date or month that can be pinpointed as the day the redesigned carts came into circulation? How many games were released of each cart type?

Early 1993 was the switch. The first cart I remember having the change was Cybernator (Feb. '93). Power Moves still had the "fat" so to speak, and that was released January '93.

Combatribes came out March '93 and it still had the fat. Cybernator was the first and I guess it didn't catch on until early-mid '93.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The changeover had to have happened in the first two months of 1993. Looking at the dates on the lockout chips on the carts with flat fronts, I haven't found a single one post dating December 1992. Later model SNES consoles do not have a plastic lock when the power is switched on, so you have to assume that they redesigned the carts because there was problems with the lock.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Don't forget the third revision that Majesco rereleased titles and Frogger utilized. The information that had been on the back label was instead molded into the plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyA View Post
    I do believe that the carts with the groove could be pulled out without pushing the eject button.
    I've said that here in the past and someone said that the ejection mechanism was modified on Super Nintendo's to allow that to happen. So I suspect you and I have a somewhat later model SuperNes (Mine was purchased in 1995) that was designed to allow that to happen with earlier cartridges rather then cause damage.

And the cartridge redesign was to prevent the possibility of damage to earlier consoles when the cartridge was removed without using the eject button.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-27-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The groove is there so that the cartridge can be safely grasped with tongs after being mistakenly placed in a toaster.

Should note to clear up some confusions (like mine):

The newer "groove" design just is a slight slope to the bottom of the cartridge; the original design has that nasty little hole that shit gets caught in and which used more plastic.

Incidentally, I think that Japanese cartridges follow this pattern too. I looked at a Contra III and it has the groove, but I think Rendering Ranger didn't. Not certain.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 04-21-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Incidentally, I think that Japanese cartridges follow this pattern too. I looked at a Contra III and it has the groove, but I think Rendering Ranger didn't. Not certain.
    Yeah, pretty sure this is not correct. I don't think the SFC cart design was EVER changed...