Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What system should I start collecting for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What system should I start collecting for?

Hi guys! I was thinking that I really wanted to get into one system for about 6 months. So, which system should I choose?

1.NES (I already have a small collection)
    2.Atari 2600
    3.Neo Geo MVS
    4.Sega Genesis
    6.Turbografx-16

I'm leaning more towards the NES or Atari. They are both awesome systems, (as well as the other choices) but I feel that too many people collect them. I would be fine with starting a NES or Atari collection, but I kind of want to do something unique. Thanks for all the help, guys!

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MVS will be expensive unless you already have a machine or custom built console. Everything else is reasonably affordable. Id go with NES if you already have a collection going on..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I've heard good things about the Game.com

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDean View Post
    I'm leaning more towards the NES or Atari. They are both awesome systems, (as well as the other choices) but I feel that too many people collect them. I would be fine with starting a NES or Atari collection, but I kind of want to do something unique. Thanks for all the help, guys!
    I have to wonder, why do care what other people collect exactly, and is it really possible for "too many people" to enjoy something?

At any rate, I think that all of the systems you've listed (besides the Atari) are great, so the 2600 and NES being "awesome" isn't really a deciding factor, IMO.

If your chief motivation is to play great games, then the NES, Genesis and TG-16 seem the best choices to me. Atari 2600 games don't have the same degree of playability, IMO, and Neo Geo games are expensive and more difficult to acquire than the others, so you won't get nearly as much gaming in. If you're motivated by rarity, however (and money isn't a huge factor), than definitely go for the MVS stuff. If you're going for sheer volume, and complete games aren't a necessity, than you should go the Atari 2600 and NES route. NES and 2600 games are the most plentiful and are relatively inexpensive, so you can bulk up your collection in no time.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 04-21-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I think you should start collecting for the Phantom. It's one of the only systems I own a complete set of games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I think you should start collecting for the Phantom. It's one of the only systems I own a complete set of games.
    Yeah, but technically we all do. Even sausage boy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You said you wanted to collect something unique. Of that list Turbografx is the ONLY unique choice

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want to be unique go with something like the Playdia or FM Towns

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even if you want to initially focus on one system, you'll eventually be collecting for all of those systems on your list. You might as well start collecting for all of them now. Why fight the collecting addiction.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only YOU can decide what system you want to collect for and how you want to go about collecting. Here's some questions you need to answer for yourself:

1) Are you going for a full set? The 2600 and the NES have the most games. If I had to guess, I'd say the NES would be the more expensive one. MVS and TG-16 have the smallest library, with Genesis not far behind.
    2) Is money an option? Genesis and 2600 are the cheapest, and if you're going for a full set, the Genesis has a small library.
    3) Complete, boxed or cart only? NES and 2600 are the easiest to find cart only. Genesis and TG-16 are easiest to find CIB, tho if you want "complete" TG-16 games usually came in oversized cardboard boxes, and those can be tough to find.
    4) What kinds of games do you like? The NES has the most diverse library of games. Genesis is very "adult" oriented, with lots of PC ports and just more "sophisticated" games. TG-16 has a nice mix of adult and kiddie-type games, not a whole lot of RPGs (more if you get the CD add-on). MVS is basically arcade games, fighting, shmups, brawlers...
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 05:49 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    Only YOU can decide what system you want to collect for and how you want to go about collecting. Here's some questions you need to answer for yourself:

1) Are you going for a full set? The 2600 and the NES have the most games. If I had to guess, I'd say the NES would be the more expensive one. MVS and TG-16 have the smallest library, with Genesis not far behind.
    2) Is money an option? Genesis and 2600 are the cheapest, and if you're going for a full set, the Genesis has a small library.
    ???

The Genesis has about 400 games in it's stable, about equal to the NES and more than the 2600. Check the Rarity guide on here. By comparison, the Turbografx 16 has like 50ish games. I don't know why you think the Genesis set is not far behind.

You are right about the Genesis being relatively cheap however.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

blankblankblankblankblank
    Last edited by Blur2040; 12-30-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    Death to Bill and Ted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose it also depends on where you plan to buy games for your collection. Don't expect to find any Neo Geo or even Turbografx games at local thrifts, tag sales or flea markets except for extremely rare occasions. You're pretty much limited to specialty game stores and the Internet for these systems. Even Atari games are getting scarce in the wild in my area. NES and Genesis games are still pretty easy to find all over however.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah guys, I'm not stupid, I know that the Phantom never made it past prototype stage and that the Game.com is one of the worst systems ever made. Seriously, when the best game for a console is called sticky balls you pretty much know it sucks. Oh, and as for the phantom, the whole point of it was have downloadable content, so you can't really collect games.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah guys, I'm not stupid, I know that the Phantom never made it past prototype stage and that the Game.com is one of the worst systems ever made. Seriously, when the best game for a console is called sticky balls you pretty much know it sucks. Oh, and as for the phantom, the whole point of it was have downloadable content, so you can't really collect games.
    A little bit of snark should be expected from an internet forum. You are asking a group of complete strangers what decision only YOU can make so of course they're going to have a little fun at your expense. And while the Game.com is one of the worst systems ever made, it's also one of bigger challenges in trying to collect for. I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you're a masochist so let's review the initial choices from your first post.

1.NES (I already have a small collection)
    The NES can be fun to collect for as well as a little challenging. The thing with the NES though is determining what parameters you want to set for your collecting. Would an all cart-only collection be okay or would you want them all sleeved with manual? Perhaps only CIB is the only way you'll collect? Then you have to determine which carts to collect. Do you only collect the officially licensed carts or do you include the unlicensed carts like the ones from Tengen or Color Dreams? Hopefully you already have the first party stuff, specifically Mario and Zelda, otherwise expect to pay through the nose for those carts unless you happen to get lucky and find them on the cheap at like a yard sale or something.

2.Atari 2600
    I'd rate this third behind the NES and Genesis in terms of difficulty collecting. If you haunt flea markets, you're sure to find some vendors with carts available for sale, though expect just that. Finding CIB games for the 2600 is going to prove a bigger challenge. As for licensing, I don't really know where to begin. While I grew up on the 2600's goodness, it was never my forte` in regards to collecting (I have a rather modest collection of carts somewhere in the basement).

3.Neo Geo MVS
    This is an interesting choice. While it's not impossible to collect MVS carts, expect your searching to be relegated to mostly online. You might be able to find these locally if you contact any companies in your area that still deal with arcade machines. There's a slim, SLIM chance you MIGHT find a cart in the wild but I wouldn't hold your breath. The upside to MVS collecting though is you needn't worry about things like boxes or instruction manuals unless you go all out and insist on getting kits. This would probably be the most expensive and most space consuming of the five systems to collect for (unless you're going after games like NES Stadium Events or 2600 Air Raid )
    4.Sega Genesis
    This would be one of the more easier and more manageable systems to collect for, if you were doing cart-only. Genesis games are just as, if not in some cases more so, abundant than NES carts. I have to stress the carts part as finding them in the box (with book) is a little more tricky. It's not impossible, but most kids didn't keep the boxes for whatever reason and sometimes vendors felt like they took up too much space and scrapped them. The list of unlicensed carts isn't very big so if you're going for a complete collection, that particular part shouldn't be too big of a problem. It's still kinda early (for me) but I can't really think of any stupidly impossible titles on the system in the vein of something like Stadium Events.

6.Turbografx-16
    As a diehard Turbografx/Duo/NEC fan, I'd have to say this....DON'T COLLECT FOR THIS SYSTEM, I HAVE ENOUGH COMPETITION ALREADY!!

I'm kidding of course, but this system does represent some challenges to it. Depending on how you choose to collect, you have to decide if you want to do just HuCard only, card in jewel case with book, or actual CIB with the outer cardboard box. Then you have to decide if you want a true Turbografx collection and obtain all of the CD games as well (I could have made a similar argument for the Sega CD and 32X in the Genesis paragraph above). While there isn't as many titles available, there are a handful of HuCard titles that will cost you a pretty penny to obtain.

I don't really think it should matter who is collecting what. There's plenty of systems out there that are unique and several systems have been mentioned already that are good choices. If you want a small challenge that is off the beaten path then I'd suggest either Sega Master System or Sega Game Gear. For the latter, I would strongly advise against trying to collect CIB, you'll only drive yourself mad in the process.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a longtime Atari 2600 collector, I can say that it is the easiest system to get into collecting for ($.50 cartridges abound) and also the hardest system to sew up, seeing that there are easily 30+ cartridges that sell for over $100 and probably another 70 that sell for over $50. I've had a lot of fun with Atari in the years that I've collected it but have reached the point in which it is very hard on the checkbook. If you're looking for something that you can get completed for a modest price, go with the Atari 7800 or possibly the Sega Genesis, but make certain that you're collecting for a system that you care about.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    her partially exposed butthole offends my christian sensibilities yet makes me want to play jet force gemini

<skaar> Let's triforce our dicks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, Sticky Balls was a release for the Gizmondo, not the Game.com. Gizmondo is worth collecting for, if you like obscure handhelds and can source some of the unreleased stuff for it.

I'll echo what others have said, just collect what you find. Don't limit yourself. All of the platforms have good games (and bad games), so enjoy them all.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

JP Mega Drive or PC Engine Duo. Eazy.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    ???

The Genesis has about 400 games in it's stable, about equal to the NES and more than the 2600. Check the Rarity guide on here. By comparison, the Turbografx 16 has like 50ish games. I don't know why you think the Genesis set is not far behind.

You are right about the Genesis being relatively cheap however.
    I think your numbers are off, you have cut almost all the libraries in half. The NES is in the 760ish area and good luck figuring out how many games are in the 2600 lineup. I think the T16 is closer to 100 than 50.